News: Arsene Wenger?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Liverpool4Life, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You need a starting central defender, central midfielder and another striking option. Let me put it to you another way. If I had asked you what Arsenal needing prior to Arshavin turning things around what would you have said? Expecting the same level of performance next season is being optimistic at best because you still have the same fundamental issues as you did for the majority of the season. You recent upturn in form has merely covered over these for the moment.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    stop talking like your 100% correct

we have good strikers, dud and ade is a quality pairing

ade and rvp is a quality pairing, we also have vela and walcott who can play there

djourou is looking like the 'bigger' centre half we can use with toure/gallas and we have senderos back possibly, if hes sold we are in the running for sakho and bassong

united should be more worried about strikers than us

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    um no, maybe its the opinion of an arsenal fan who watches more arsenal games than u do?

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think you are guilty of conveniently forgetting everything pre-Arshavin and only looking to the positives since he joined.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    and ur forgetting our injuries

arshavin adds a massive creative spark and would to any team

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Every team has had injuries and chance creation was never your problem.

7. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the outside looking in, not just a Man Utd fans perspective, but from the majority of fans perspective, Arsenal have some generic problems which have been pappered over by Arshavin's form, but that does not mean they have disappeared.

TBM, Toure and Gallas are decent on paper but in practice they're not that solid. Unlike Campbell, Gallas does not provide the calming presence which allowed Toure to excel under next to him. In centre midfield you have talent, but not the quality you need. I think you're hanging your hat on Song and Denilson without sufficient evidence that they're the long term solution. In my opinion, I do not think they provide what you need.

Up front no one is denying that RVP, Eduardo and Adebayor are not good players. But Eduardo has been back maybe a month and is out for the rest of the season already while RVP has been out with ANOTHER injury again recently and is a doubt for the game tonight.

Take it from someone who waited in vein for Louis Saha and Owen Hargreaves to put their problems behind them and finally deliver the quality they were capable of on a consistant basis - you may be waiting for a long time. To the outside eye, RVP is a crock, and Eduardo isn't looking to much better at the moment. Big injuries create smaller one's which sometimes never go away. You may have to face up to this.

Adebayor is alright but his form has been indifferent and many fans have resigned to him leaving in the summer and let's be honest, Wemnger is unlikely to go out and buy someone like David Villa to replace him because he has a strange aversion to spending money. Vela looks a good prospect though.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well toure and gallas did very well together recently, if gallas wasnt injured we would look a much better side

he and toure do work

but i would prefer a big guy with either like hangeland

9. TheFlint

TheFlint New Member

May 6, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FOR SALE:

57'000 Arsenal flags on ebay, all as good as new, only waved for 7 minutes!

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    for sale,man united next season when the owners are mad bankrupt by the clubs crippling debt

11. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lewisham, S. London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Touche... ;)

12. Peanuts

Peanuts New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    London
    The world is in a recessionary state. On the other hand, the Football transfer and wage market is in an inflationary state. What is a manager to do?

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wenger's squad has been painfully exposed in recent weeks.

He simply has to buy some decent players this summer. Players that are going to fill the holes that need filling. A strong, commanding central defender, or at least a decent back up player whn Toure and Gallas are out. Silvestre and Djourou aren't good enough. A strong, commanding, aggressive central midfield player. Fabregas and Denilson couldn't say boo to a goose and Diaby is wofully inadequate. A strong centre forward who is going to do a it more running than Adebayor. It's alright being a lazy git when you have Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo around you, as Berbatov has shown, but if you haven't then you have to put a little more beef into it and Ade doesn't do sh!t.

A better 'keeper might be an idea but Almunia is not THSAT bad. Just not amazingly good.

14. jmoorey

jmoorey New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont think we necessarily need a new CF - fob adebayor off to italy or spain for £15-20m, then move arshavin up front with nasri and walcott on the wings. arshavin has shown that hes a great finisher, just like eduardo.

if (IF!) rosicky comes back next year we'll have nasri/rosicky on the left, walcott on the right, a rebuilt CM with fabregas back in form, rebuilt CD, clichy back and hopefully an in form sagna. almunia is underated and fingers crossed an injury free season for RVP/Eduardo and arshavin. thats a team that can definately win the title in my opinion.

its ridiculous to claim that arsenal are on their way out of the top 4, we were on top of chelsea/man u for the first parts of the games and then the heads went down when they scored.

15. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not that ridiculous when you think about it.

You're there but for the grace of Aston Villa's drastic loss in form when they went 12 games without a win. Had they not dropped off so badly you'd be right in the sh!t.

Villa's poor form saved Arsenal considerable embarassment this season. You've managed to pull away from them now but it was very close at one point. Had they not gone on a terrible 12 game loss of form, couple that with your current form and lack of confidence and it could have been very interesting.

Arsene will need to invest because Villa and Everton will only be better next season.

16. jmoorey

jmoorey New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    youre talking about this season though, injuries to key players (you can say that other teams have had injuries as well but ours have come thick and fast and to key players) and also players not playing as well as we know they could (adebayor, toure). Also, you look at where we've dropped points this season - hull and stoke in particular - these were points that if won would put us right into position as possible champions.

this season was a blip, thats all, our squad will be ready next year, ready to cope with injuries as well (particularly gibbs and vela who are great second choices, even bendtner who gets a lot of stick but has got us some vital points that we deserved i.e. at bolton) and we will hopefully have a strong back 5 and DM to complement the creative side of our play, especially if our attack can find that clinical side to their finishing particularly RVP and Ade (if hes still here next season)

17. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this just a feature what Arsenal are doing right? Their form was more consistent, even if it was mediocre for a short time, than the teams trying to jump them in the table.

Liverpool is ahead of Chelsea because they didn't lose as much, not because they won more games.

18. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Arsenal have had injuries but so have other teams. United have not had a consistantly fit right back all season, our only defensive midfielder has not played a single game this term, and our highest scoring and most potent attacker was out of form and fitness up until Christmas. Chelsea too have had problems with Carvalho, Drogba and Joe Cole all being unfit and out of form all season yet they found a way (albeit they sacked their manager half way through the season).

What Arsenal need is players good enough to fill the gaps when their first team get injured. The teams mentioned above have these players while Arsenal are turning to the likes of Eboue, Fabianski, Djourou, Silvestre and 19 year old rookies like Kirean Gibbs who get ruthlessly exposed at the top.

On paper Arsenal have a decent side which can pass any team off the park but their squad is too thin on the ground and this was a point made by just about everyone I spoke to pre-season. Coupled with a footballing philosophy which knows only one way of playing it's seen you become easily the most defeatable and inconsistant member of the so called "big four". Wenger has sold Vieria, Henry, Gilberto and allowed Flamini to leave without adequately replacing a single one of them. His faith is admirable, but it's about time that he stopped hiding behind his lack of exspenditure and started buying in players who can deliver now. Personally, I think he will. Recent results have been terrible and, had it not been for Arshavins devastating finishing at Anfield, they'd have been embarassed there as well.

Obviously this is just my opinoin. I don't expect an Arsenal fan to agree with me all the way, but it would seem most other non-Arsenal supporting fans might agree with me on one or two points.