Arsenal vs Watford (EPL) 31 Jan 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jan 29, 2017.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 NorthBank, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    afc-wfc.jpg

Tuesday 31 January 2017
    Ashburton Grove
    USA TV: NBCSN Extra Time 2:45pm ET

Coming off our trip to Southampton and one of the most fun wins in recent memory, our lads should be feeling the utmost confidence, and with any luck we can rotate back in our A-team players as successfully as we did our B-team guys yesterday.

In contrast, Watford & Mazzarri have been struggling of late. They lie 14th in the EPL, with only 3pts in last 5 matches. And just today they were bounced out of the Cup by 3rd tier Millwall.

Our squad is almost fully fit. The biggest exception being Santi, but we've learned how to win without him.

Since we'll have a 4 day rest before our huge match @chelsea, and because the boss will want to give them some game-time in advance of Chelsea, we should expect to see many regulars back in for this match, like Sanchez, Ozil, Koscielny.

Personally I think beating Watford might be as simple as just replicating the intensity we showed right from the getgo against Soton yesterday. We often forget how successful that can be.

As an example, here's a little reminder of this fixture last year, a real thumping by us. :) With balanced scoring and Sanchez at the center of things: http://player.arsenal.com/videos/7591/watford-h-bitesize

2. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I hope we start as fast and dangerous as we did vs Southampton. We're at home so let's show no mercy lads.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Start fast, put them away early, and then sub Alexis, Ozil, and Ramsey off early and wrap them in wool for Chelski.

4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have many players coming off a rest for this mid-week home fixture, with Chelsea looming at the weekend.

All the makings for a trap game.

I hope the boys are dialed in and focused. 3 points at Chelsea will mean little of we drop points to Watford.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the boss's presser from today:
    http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20170130/-welbeck-gives-huge-offensive-potential-

Relevant to the match at hand, some key points I heard:
    * He's being careful about how often he plays Welbeck, i.e. he won't figure tomorrow, or at least won't start
    * We have to focus on Watford's loanee forward, Niang, and "keep him quiet"
    * He's not likely to play 3 at the back, as has become a trendy setup in England this season. Quelle surprise!

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I want to play sanchez up top not giroud

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    .........sanchez
    Iwobi...ozil......perez
    .......ramsey....coq

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too, but I think we need Sanchez up top even more so for Chelsea. So if he wants to let Giroud play striker tomorrow, I guess I'd be OK with that. With Sanchez maybe playing wide for 60- 70 mins?

thebigman repped this.
  9. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    If Alexis starts at CF vs Chelsea let's also start him vs Watford. He needs to get in a rhythm again. He's still playing out of his skin but I worry that he won't be as sharp vs Chelsea. Take him out 60-70 min for Welbz or Giroud.

daedalus repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, had that thought too. Either way, I wonder if Sanchez will "go quietly" if removed at 65'. Maybe if we're up by 3 goals, one of which he scored and one he assisted? :)

R9Kevinr9 repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Take him off once his bonus' pay the tax man lol

12. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Lucas gets a start. I've enjoyed watching him so far and I really like the idea of Lucas, Ozil, Alexis and Iwobi all learning to play well together.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a similar thought but involving Lucas, Ozil & Theo. Not sure how likely that would be though. Obviously Iwobi & Theo bring very different things to the table.

And thinking about Theo, even though he was a guaranteed starter early this season, and just had a hattrick on his return, I wonder if he'll have difficulty pushing his way back into our A-team.

14. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    for our purpose, walcott and perez are pretty interchangeable from out wide: they make that run in once sanchez vacates the top to still give us a threat against the centrebacks. i would not want them together. but then i'm biased when it comes to iwobi and i think we benefit from his presence on the pitch.

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    to soon to have maitland-niles partnering ramsey, huh? :D

16. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a 4-2-3-1 with Sexy Alexy up top sounds good to me, and including Lucas in the Starting XI is also good, let's see if Arsene Wenger agrees, besides after Threeo's hat-trick and Welbz' two goal (in two shots mind you (a 1.000 shooting %, shit with that shooting efficiency he should play for the Lakers, they need help right about now at the free throw line believe me!!! :) ), let's rest them and get them ready for the trip to Stamford Condemned Bridge on Saturday morning at 3:00 am PST and I plan on being awake for that one and then sleep in afterwards, but not before making up, yup, another plate for brats & eggs (5 Johnsonville brats grilled on the George Foreman Grill, and 6 grade AA large eggs, fried in butter just like in the pic below from the United match away from earlier this season which started at 3:00 am, yummy!!!) yup, so it will be a GOOD ONE!!!

IMG_0011.jpg

thebigman repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your getting ahead of yourself. Don't forget the mantra "one game at a time" ;)

p.s. Chelsea match is 4:30am PT.

18. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Premier League LIVE begins at 3:30 am according to NBCSN (according to the promo I saw during the NHL All Star Game on Sunday). I enjoy watching the prematch shows because they're what sets you up for the game right up to procession. But either way, COYF'n'G!!!

Better get out the can of Raid for this one (well we ARE playing the Hornets) and let's take nothing less than all 3 points!!!

Steve Bould could sure use one of these during this afternoon's match:

Raid Hornet Killer.jpeg

Subzero repped this.
  19. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiting for the lineups . . .

20. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cech
    Gabriel
    Mustafi
    Koscielny
    Monreal
    Ramsey
    Coq
    Alexis
    Ozil
    Iwobi
    Giroud

Wow, he's not screwing around!

22. kboyz

kboyz Member

Sep 13, 2016
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to stream this one today, from NBC. It better work!

Hey, hey, it's good ole Martin Tyler. :) But who's he paired with? Thought it was David Pleat, but some other David?

BIGHMW repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hey, hey we got my favorite lineswoman too. Seriously I thought she was doing a great job a few years back and then they seemed to send her to the hinterlands. Sure hope for all our sakes that she gets it right tonite.

25. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mustafi starting. Can't lose.