Arsenal vs Chelsea (EPL) 3 Jan 2018

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Jan 1, 2018.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Never make a rugby post. There's too much Stoke City here as it is.

2. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There’s nothing more beautiful in sports than the All Blacks eschewing rhe kicking game and playing wirh the ball-in-hand, wirh speed, power and pace on the wings.
    :)

Even Wenger could learn something from paying wirh pace and power and the split second decision making it requires.

Ok maybe not the ball-in-hand though :)

3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed

My guess here, as I mentioned above, is that Holding was seeing Bakayoko at the edge of the box and was worried about a cut back cross to him, so he hedged in between areas, rightly or wrongly.

4. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....or perhaps, (in my somewhat-feeble attempt to go further back in my knowledge of Arsenal history besides just the Invincibles) the Tony Adams or Steve Bould in waiting, both who obviously prospered under Arsene Wenger in route to our 2 EPL title/FA Cup doubles in 1997-98 and 2001-02.

5. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The statistics suggest that the defensive problems are a matter of personnel rather than tactics. Over the last three seasons that Koscielny and Metersacker were both healthy enough to form regular partnership in the center of the defense (2013/14 to 2015/16) Arsenal allowed fewer goals than any other team in the league. They allowed 111 goals over the three seasons, only Chelsea at 112 goals allowed was close. You can train all you want, but a defense has to play together on a regular basis to be effective, especially against big teams.

So while I agree with DaPrince 84, that Pep has a better understanding of how wing backs should be used to help the midfielders, I'm going to reject the suggestion that the Arsene/Bould team don't know how to coach a defense. But this doesn't absolve Arsene of all responsibility. He's responsible for buying the defenders that are currently struggling.

For example, Mustafi may work as a replacement for Koscielny, but even if Kos were healthy, I don't think they would ever form an elite pairing, their games are to similar. When Kos first arrived he was making some of the same over commitment mistakes that Mustafi is making now. Eventually Kos learned what he could and couldn't commit to in the PL and during most of his learning process he had the big German to cover behind him. That's the kind of player (hopefully with a little better turn of pace) that Mustafi needs to be paired with.

6. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006

I double checked and my numbers were off a little, but it doesn't change the overall point of my post. Arsenal actually allowed 113 goals over the three seasons I cited, but Chelsea allowed 121. The next best teams were United with 115 goals allowed and City with 116.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    how good was the Arsenal attack those seasons tho?

I think we had to sit deep for Mert too.

We sit very high now for this current group.

It is definitely a personnel issue because Mustafi is a charlatan who should be sold and Holding and Chambers are too young to be trusted. But Wenger doesn't help them out at all.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think people forget how badly we got destroyed in some games where Mertesacker and Koscielny played.

Arsenal defend very, very well when they have to defend. For all the talk about set piece defending in the Almunia era, we've defended set pieces quite well over the past five years. The problem is that we can't defend transitions at all, and you have to bring the back line up when passing around in the final third.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats been the problem

and it all changed for Wenger when Mourinho came into the league and that was his innovation. He knew the game was won on transitions and Wenger never adjusted.

Shoot, United beat us this season because of transitions, or quick changes in possessions.

11. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Arsenal were 4th, 3rd, and 4th in goals scored in the three seasons I cited.

Clearly Arsenal had to sit deep with Mert, but as documented by goals allowed they were the best in the premier league over the three years in question.

Yes, Kos and Mert did get destroyed in some games, but it doesn't change the fact that over a three year period, when both were healthy, they were the most consistent pairing in the EPL.

Arsenal's problems with transitions is largely down to two factors, give always in the defensive third and Xhaka's lack of quickness. These problems are generally attributable to personnel, not defensive tactics.

So for those on this thread who want to blame Arsene for his lack of defensive nous (I'm not sure that includes either of you), I would suggest, instead that the fault is with his evaluation of the players he brings into the club and puts on the field.

12. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not sure that this is fair. The Invincibles were transcendent in transition.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fair. But edge cases matter when you're trying to win titles.

Only thing I would add to this is that players are frequently in weird positions when giving the ball away in attack, and that's led to a few counters that have led to goals or almost goals. And that is a tactical issue.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Merte and Cech would be great is Arse played a low line.

And hence we always come back to the same old conversations of squad balance

If only Arsenal had one fast/beast CB - like Boatank

If only Arsenal had a good midfield screen

yada yada

15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Man City aside, the very best teams have had both.

16. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mertesacker was so underrated. If he was an Italian they would have put up statues of him. Instead he plays for a team and in a country where the only comment on him is "lack of pace".

casoccerdad47 repped this.
  17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Weirdly he’s been injured most of our 3 at the back era which suits him most

Remember in 2009 when Utd pounded us in the cl with quick counters? We have never been able to defend them since 04

DaPrince84 repped this.
  18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was the most devastating game I've ever watched. We had a real chance to get to the final, the crowd was louder than it's ever been, and 15 minutes later Gibbs had fallen over and Almunia did his thing and it was all over. What a deflating day.

thebigman repped this.
  19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #169 DaPrince84, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Its very much fair

The Invincibles were great in transitioning to attack. We never talk about transitioning to defense except that Sol and Kolo were speed merchants and Vieira.

Teams were absolutely shook to commit bodies forward against us.

Mourinho took that template and made it the basis of his tactical approach and got even bigger, stronger, and faster players who can bring it forward on the ball. He also had his teams sit very deep and defend heavy before they broke out.

The 90s Premiership used to have crazy games and scorelines. Goals per game was always at least 2.5.

It dropped during those few years in the mid aughts to under 2.5.

Its back up now though because teams cannot defend, but Guardiola is gonna change things again.

15 minutes?

Didnt the first goal come in at like 2 minutes.

I have never seen a stadium deflated like that. I don't think I have ever been more deflated as an Arsenal fan because I crazily thought we had a chance. :(

20. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just looked it up. Park at 8 min and that mother********ing Ronaldo free kick at 11 min. God Almunia sucked

DaPrince84 repped this.
  21. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True story. Every word.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let’s also remember that kolo was very average but quick

Sol Campbell is an underrated all time great

DaPrince84 repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jose imported the concept of aggressive transitions especially with 3 CMs - the idea often being to create defensive overloads and break quickly on the turnover with a small number of players - so very effective against possession oriented sides.

It's interesting Arsenal had such individual quality and physical freaks like Vieira and Sol that they were still competitive - but it was noticeable how tired they got vs Chelsea late in games

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #174 casoccerdad47, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    That's a bit of a stretch. The simple fact is that Arsenal aren't good enough. Can you name anyone other than Sanchez and Ozil that would walk into the starting lineup of any of the team's above them?

25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    not at all - its a core Guardiola idea

When you first recover possession, you are usually at your most vulnerable for counter press - but also the opposition may have become disorganised in attacking

Decision time.

This is why at Bayern, they would frequently use the first 20 passes in possession to reposition everyone for the counter press should possession be lost.

If players are not in the right places on the pitch - you won't be able to counter press hard in high positions on the turnover

Of course if the opposition is in disarray, you might transition to attack very quickly - its a judgment call.

In my opinion, Arsenal commit lots of players high up the pitch - but with poor spacing - such that if possession is lost - too many players are not well placed