Arsenal vs Chelsea (EPL) 29 Dec 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by NorthBank, Dec 27, 2019.

1. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What effect? No new formation no plan b poor subs? No effect just more poor play n no leadership from the Skipper

2. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was worst today?
    Leno
    Arteta
    Guendouzi

fari repped this.
  3. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    arteta showed crap leadership today!
    1No plan B did not react to blues constant 30 Min attack in the second half
    2 laca gased failed to sub him
    3 guendouzi crap shud have been taken out. Leave ozil in .
    4 Pepe sub too late
    5 move aubam to cf
    6 bring in martenelli wide left
    7 leave ozil in

Depressing times.

4. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah right...your joking right?

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give Arteta a slight break on his subs in light of the fact that he was forced to make a CB change quite unexpectedly in the first half and the lack of quality midfielders available. Sucks for Chambers, as he was looking decent. I'd be surprised if he's not out for the rest of the season.

As knackered as the entire squad was, would've been nice to play against 10 men. I just don't see how Pawson can book two of our players for pull backs and then barely 5 minutes later let Jorginho slide for the exact same foul. Oh well, midfield desperately needs help and we have to buy a LB in January. Saka is filling in admirably but I feel bad for him. Plus he looked hurt trying to track back for their winner.

fari, The Jitty Slitter and FC RASTA repped this.
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Good points, but after Chelsea’s change, inverted RB and chalk on boots winger wasn’t cutting it. Pepe is one of the most dangerous counter attacking players around. Arteta could have leaned into the counter attack and taken Laca or Nelson off for Pepe at half time or at least by 60 mins after they had us pinned back.

If Laca doesn’t like it he can fcuk off after skying three great chances in two games. After their change, Nelson had one dribble out of 4 attempts and 4 passes—three backward.

I’m prepared to wait on Arteta and this loss isn’t totally unexpected, but I’m not going to give him a pass any more than I would Emery.

7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepe on for Laca is what I was wanting. At one point in the 2nd half Laca had a break on the right side but had no one to pass too and didn't have the pace to go on his own. So it turned into nothing

fari, Super Llama and crazy150 repped this.
  8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Saka did his hamstring I think. He was struggling with it for a good while before the second goal.

Pawson sucks. He clearly decided to ‘not ruin the game’ with a second yellow.

Super Llama repped this.
  9. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    what happened to chambers? can't seem to find anything on it.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 NorthBank, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Saka: I noticed him holding his hammie too. Why wasn't he subbed off? We hadn't used all 3 subs at that point right? Why risk making the injury worse? And at a position where we have zero cover?? Baffling.

Pawson: Poor and inconsistent.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did his knee apparently. Around the 20th minute? My stream acted up around then so I missed it. I think he walked off, so maybe it's not the absolute worst? i.e. not a ruptured ACL.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's 2 somewhat depressing historical stats:

1. We haven't lost a home game, from a leading position at HT, for 9 years. Until today.

2. We haven't lost 4 home games in a row for 60 years. Until today.

#2 isn't really on Arteta because he was only responsible for 1 of those 4 games. But #1 is basically on him, just as it would've been on Emery or Wenger before him.

Another big test coming up in 3 days... let's see how he reacts and adjusts.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tja

This bad run was nailed on when Raul wasted the international break and easy schedule

If we lose to Utd it will be 2 points from 15

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    But you can hide a turd in an attractive sandwich

thebigman repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    And why he should have been sold in the summer to free up £

16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    It’s frustrating to lose to rivals—especially from a winning position. But I have to keep reminding myself that the league is just a training ground right now for us, not a priority.

Focus on the EL and FA, maybe we get lucky. Reserve judgment and evaluate arteta this time next year.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Obviously we are weaker than the top 6

But I think it will be critical, even with this squad, that Arteta shows uptick against the rest of the league.

Clearly the season can't be recovered, but also we can't finish in the bottom 10 if we hope to recruit good players

NorthBank, mebeSajid and Super Llama repped this.
  18. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 was on Wenger 9 years ago, right?

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It was. IIRC that was the stretch when Fabregas broke his leg and almost everyone else got hurt too.

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In hindsight losing all of Iwobi, Ramsey and Mhki from the midfield at once was too risky

Those players had 88 league appearances between them last season and as a group, were critical to the midfield balance.

Unfortunately Ceballos was swiftly injured and has only 11 appearances, which tends to mean Ramsey was not replaced at all when he was key at 8/10

So while there were good reasons to get rid of all 3, maybe losing 3 experienced midfielders at the same time was not good.

Super Llama and crazy150 repped this.
  21. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I dunno, I think if we win the EL we can finish anywhere not relegated and players won’t care. Also an FA cup win or even just some positive trends at the end of the season could help sell targets on our project.

Chelsea finished 10th and were able to sign Kante from the title winners, Luiz, Batsuiyai and Alonso the next summer I think.

So 11-13 is fine I think.

fari repped this.
  22. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Yes. Using hindsight Iwobi was good money so hard to turn down and he isn’t lighting the world at Everton so maybe that was the right move. Ramsey not much to do about it and he has been injured as usual so probably good call there as well. Miki is actually contributing at Roma I think. Probably should have kept him around. Especially now I think arteta would have used him.

What is really damning is that we have 1 goal from midfield in the league—1! That’s absurd. Three from wingers (not including auba) and zero from fullbacks. That’s 4 goals from not strikers or CBs (corners).

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I have two close friends/teammates, both of whom walked off the pitch after ACL injuries -- one even played for another 20 minutes before he finally had to go off. My point being that Chambers being able to walk off doesn't mean it's not an ACL. I think it is, but I reeeeeally hope I'm wrong.

24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, I'm not sure you can. But I think this is more a failing of the turd=bad player metaphor rather than a blow to the point you're trying to make.
    :ROFLMAO:

thebigman and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Important question. If we get relegated, does that mean most of our games will be on ESPN+ next year? Just trying to plan ahead.