Arsenal vs Brighton. Premier League. December 5th, 2019.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by MilesW, Dec 2, 2019.

1. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can lose just fine without him...

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Relegation is a genuine concern we should have right now. We don't have a winnable game, even by a very generous definition of winnable, until February.

Deep Wilcox and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch the match - gonna go ahead and erase the recording.

NorthBank repped this.
  4. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh is a fraud

DaPrince84 and Super Llama repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw it. Just start playing Chambers and Holding as the two CBs. I thought Luiz might be decent for us, but I'll hold my hand up and say I was mistaken. As for central MF --- ********ifIknow. It's a mess. I still think Torreira needs to play and probably Guendouzi most of the time, but I have no idea what Willock is being told to do and he often seems as confused as I am. Xhaka? Dunno about him either although he does possess that lovely combination of being painfully slow and one footed --- so there's that.

DaPrince84, InTheSun and Super Llama repped this.
  6. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I kind of agree with you except that I think after this match, it's pretty obvious that the only midfielder we currently have who can pass is Xhaka. As long as you have Torreira buzzing around alongside him I think you can mitigate his weaknesses (and I think Torreira was better today) but without Xhaka we genuinely don't have any other players who can switch play or punish presses with intelligent passing (and occasionally deep) passing progression, and that's partly why our possession is so horrific right now. At all costs, we have to figure out a way to build a midfield that can hold onto the ball and progress it, or else we will--and I'm being genuine when I say this--be in a relegation fight. So Xhaka, Torreira, and probably Guendouzi for me, maybe switched out for Ozil at the 10. But there's no way you can have two strikers up front right now because it's just piling pressure onto our CBs. And I agree, we should be playing Holding and Chambers, there isn't a chance they're worse than what's happening right now.

yossarian repped this.
  7. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Chambers is gosh awful so sorry that isn't the solution. With this team there are so many glaring weakness and liabilities that it's hard to mix and mash formations and tactics because they don't fit or play organized or even competently as a unit. CBs and MF is a mess. That's the heart of the issue, if you are getting so much pressure up the middle because MF cannot possess, pass or have no speed or cannot read the game your dead in the water. When you have CBs who get routinely turned when its 1 vs 3 and can't pressure, tackle, defend, lose aerial battles constantly lose track of runners then your dead in the water. Even with saying that on paper we should be good enough to beat Brighton, Southampton, Norwich and Crystal Palace but we aren't.

Which means based on this current run since the international break our season is effectively over. That includes the EL for next year. Our only hope is to not be relegated and I'm not even joking.

8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Torreira is still playing too high up the pitch imo. I know it's the in thing that is being asked of CMs to do but you have to have an organized and precise press and a good understanding with the midfield partner to cover for you. We have neither. I'd rather he stayed in closer contact to the back four so we don't have to see sequence after sequence of the mids rushing back after getting caught up high. Xhaka is too slow to recover - he is a good final third entry passer so I would still probably want him doing that. Our CBs are not good enough 1v1 to be left unprotected. Also, FFS play Tierney and Bellerin from minute 1 and build on that. I'd like to see Holding get a good run of games, he was in good form before he got injured. And sit Willock down. He might be a good late sub when we need legs but I really don't see what he brings to the table as the third mid.

yossarian repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We are fast becoming the bottom 10 side XG predicted

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    We need to hire a top manager immediately

Ted had the good point that levy sold out his principles with Jose as simple revenue protection

We are in free fall now

One of the worst teams in the league

Emergency steps required

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Wasting the international break was criminal

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Don't be so sure...

Super Llama repped this.
  13. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Chambers was really good as a DM. Why aren't we playing him there?

Not sure what formation we can run with, maybe a 4-2-3-1
    Tierney, Luiz, Holding, Bellerin
    Chambers, Torreira
    Pepe, Ozil, Saka/one of the other kids
    Auba

Honestly, at this point try anything. Hot mess at the back and need to try and sure things up some how.

14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry I meant "would be a plus"

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My thoughts on this hot mess echo @orbinho and others

Many of the issues are people just not doing their jobs properly and general confusion so that coordination is low.

That said, I think things should be simpler to get our best players on the field in their best positions where they know how to do stuff.

1. Play Auba at 9 with Laca in the rotation. Two up front doesn't work because neither is a genuine pressing forward, and neither can play as a hybrid 10 like a Griezmann.

2. Play a genuine right winger who will do a share of pressing and defensive work, but also takeons. i.e. Pepe

3. Play someone at left wing to stretch the play but who will do a lot of hard work

4. Play a genuine midfield 3 - either with Ozil or with 3 CMs

5. Play Tierney - Kola is just defensively terrible but Tierney looks like a physical beast

6. Play on the break. We have the players for it - and then we can defend deeper and not commit lots of players forward. I would dump Xhaka and have Ozil, Luiz & Douzi as the player to spring us forward.

NorthBank, Fifty and Super Llama repped this.
  16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I still follow the Warriors even though they have the worst record in the NBA, they have an excuse for being bad and they have found a stud at small forward with the 41st pick in the draft. But I can't take this anymore, I need a break. I'm signing off until things turn around.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  17. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I got to make more match threads (2) than I expected (1). At least I got to do them for the big teams. What a mess

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chambers is awful as a right back, absolutely. We don't have enough evidence to say if he'd be awful as a center back. But I say let's find out. As others have noted, he'd be hard pressed to be worse than the confederacy of dunces we're currently rotating through as CBs.

daedalus and cooper7d7 repped this.
  19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand this argument. But I just don't see our passing or possession as being that much better in the MF with vs without Xhaka. I'm willing to be persuaded if you show me the numbers, but weren't we out-possessed on our home park by Brighton last night? At this point, I'm resigned to just going with the most mobile hard running CMs we can throw out there.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Playing Lacazette and Auba together doesn't work.

But our midfield personnel are terrible.

daedalus repped this.
  21. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Remember when Laca didn't used to always try and body two defenders, while facing away from goal?

22. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    I'd trot out this lineup for the next match. Send a message and go full Europa/League Cup with the squad

Leno
    Bellerin Holding Chambers Tierney
    Willock Torriera AMN
    Pepe Martinelli Saka

The worst that could happen is they lose like they did vs Brighton. Best case - no ones job is safe.

23. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

I am sorry but that is a suicide squad imo. The middle will get exposed hard. The front three will likely be inconsistent at best because they are all so young or adapting.

24. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Really good? Fulham conceded the most goals in all the PL last year and they got Relegated he played CB on many occasions. Chambers is awful and shouldn't see a starting PL lineup. But so are so many of our defenders and Midfielders so were screwed.

25. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Are you trying to get us relegated? This lineup would be hard pressed to be top 4 in the championship.

mebeSajid repped this.