Arsenal v. Sunderland, Tuesday May 16, 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, May 14, 2017.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One of the stories this season, to me at least, is that every time we think Arsenal have started playing well again, they lay an egg. Middlesbrough at home, Everton away, Bournemouth away, Watford at home, you get the idea. Let's hope Tuesday is different.

Time: 1945 GMT/1445 ET/1345 CT/1145 PT
    TV: NBCSN

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No chance of too 4 now

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Be interesting to see what the team is like these last two games, now. Perhaps more important, it will be interesting to see what the crowd will be like. Do they support the team or reveal their apathy/anger? How will that display resonate with the players?

*sigh*

4. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Were done. Finished below the scum (well below), out of CL and will probably choke on our own puke in the FA Final. Great season.

5. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Pool loses to Boro so we can't catch them. City, I don't really see losing to either of the teams they have left. Everton could easily draw or beat us. Even if we win Tuesday, it ain't looking good.

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We don't need Liverpool to lose, only that they not win. Don't see Liverpool not beating an already-relegated Middlesbrough.

City have to drop points twice, and that ain't gonna happen (unless we win by 20).

7. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, Wenger should just come out to John Cross and say, "If we win the FA Cup my journey will be complete. I'll hoist the trophy one last time and walk away from Arsenal a champion, never to return."

Sounds good to me!!

8. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Since there's no pressure any more, I suspect an easy win.

3-0.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mebe, you're on a roll man... keep those pessimistic opening posts coming! ;)

p.s. Good catch that our match has been moved to NBCSN. Originally we were scheduled to be on Extra Time channel, but NBC did one of their famous last-minute switcharoos. My DVR guide still hasn't caught up, so I did a manual override of my scheduled recording. A warning to the rest of you folks whose guide may also be out of date.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes there's a weird and unfortunate psychoanalysis of our fan base these days.

It's hard to know how the home fans will react to the whole #WengerOut issue tomorrow. But I could imagine a few factors which might keep the lid on: (A) if we beat Sunderland (which seems quite likely), (B) our UCL qualification is still technically unresolved, and (C) there's one more home game to vent frustration and let their feelings be known loud & clear.

That said, I also wouldn't be at all surprised if there were some full-blown protests, regardless of the result. And I suspect that is a part of the reason that NBC decided to bump Citeh's match and move us to NBCSN.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, one step closer to a definitive close to the season and clarity on the club's fate for next year. Sunderland should be trotting out as fodder today seeing as they were already limp in their home finale. Biggest drama should be the extent Arsenal rotate players for the sake of injury and preserving some for the last two, tougher games.

I expect Holding will continue getting his chance to shine and Sanchez will be/should be on the bench. Hopefully they're fine tuning the 3-man back line in search of another shut-out and they can at least pile on points in hopes of aiding that goal differential, just in case it comes to that in our standing versus Citeh.

C'mon lads! 3-0!

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take the contrary view. Take this game lightly at your peril. I've seen plenty of teams with "nothing to play for" come out with spirit, energy, pride, and upset the favorite. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is going to be as comfortable as you might otherwise assume.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal XI: Cech, Holding, Mustafi, Monreal, Bellerin, Ramsey, Xhaka, Gibbs, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud

Kos is out. Resting? And surprisingly Sanchez is starting! Must've just been a knock or dead leg. That's good news for today and beyond.

Edit: Kos has calf injury... I forgot.

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't stay through whole thing but will chime in for first half. Hopefully Kos will be back by the weekend.

C'mon you Gunners!

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can't make out much of the crowd from my audio, other than the tacit minor applause for a couple plays and the one shot thus far. Wonder how they'll hold up?

16. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are a lot of empty seats.

This 3-4-3 hasn't improved our movement in the final third at all. Everyone standing still in their assigned positions has been the most infuriating part of watching us play over the last few seasons.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on audio... Game is open but as expected Arsenal controlling bulk of possession. Giroud with a decent low shot on goal as the Gunners seek to sustain pressure. Momentum implying a goal is nigh.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's pretty much been the norm since Cesc and RvP were around, no?

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arsenal getting a little shot-happy, from the sounds of it. Not much shape says one announcer, perhaps with players thinking it's an easy lock waiting to be picked.

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on the official NBC Live Extra stream. It's nice not to have to go hunting for pirated streams, but the stream is generally 30-45 secs behind Live and it's frozen twice already. This in a nutshell is why I'm not cutting my cord anytime soon. Streaming just hasn't reached the quality & reliability yet, especially when you're talking about live content, i.e. sports.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've had a few good chances but I can't honestly say we should be 1-0 or 2-0 at this point. We need to be better and more clinical.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defoe forces Cech into a key save. Then we go down the other end, and Giroud flubs it. He doesn't seem to have his confidence today... so far at least.

23. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Blah blah blah, full of sound and fury... Insert typical Arsenal script here.

Off to evening meeting. Cheers.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xhaka with one of his trademark 35 yarders into Row Z. He's like a gambler who won once and so assumes if he keeps gambling he'll win a gain. Xhaka's goals/shots ratio must be abysmal.

Meanwhile Bellerin has a nice run and fires it into the side netting. He's looked very much in the mood tonite. Along w/ Sanchez and a few others.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Citeh goes 1-0 then 2-0 up in the last few mins. So the pressure is SQUARELY on us now to score... more than once!