Arsenal v Real Madrid pre/during/post match [R]

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by n4100, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feeling a little bitter today? :rolleyes:

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why Real Madrid thought they could hoist long balls to an out of shape Ronaldo and score is beyond me... I'm a little perplexed to how a "star" striker like Raul can miss a sitter like that.

Overall though I counted two chances for them, amazing game from our defense. Eboue, Flamini, and Senderos really stood up and this bodes very well. Henry was great as usual, but the difference to me was in midfield - Fabregas and Hleb were outstanding.

OVerall so glad this is over, and really glad we're the only English team left. I really hope we draw Villareal in the next round, but my gut says we'll get one of the two Milan teams.

3. arsenalgirl30016

Dec 10, 2003
    Flo Rida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Ian!

4. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanx for your kindness and good-sporting manners.:)

5. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Does any1 know when they will have some post match reactions? I'd love to see what Wenger and Henry says. Oh, and Fab, this is the reason why you wouldnt wanna go to Madrid.

6. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure Fab had a look at the BS match thread before having his post-match shower. LOL;)

7. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Well, hopefully Liverpool are demoralised and wud play like crap on Saturday.

8. echineko

echineko New Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Malaysia
    A tight game in the end, i still think it could have gone either way. What matters is the end result, so congrats for an exciting match, played overall in good spirit, unlike that "other" Spain-England matchup.

cheers

9. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    disappointed extremely.
    but cant help but think this was a game between has been stars, and up and coming ones, noone really anywher good enough to beat one of the top teams.

10. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssss

11. art'n'sue

art'n'sue BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 2005
    Man of the match: the whole back line (very good in the air and at intercepting RM's thru passes)

Thank you , Flamini, Senderos, Toure, Eboue, Lehmann

The other man of the match: Hleb.

Although we didn't score, he created havoc in RM's own half by turning and dribbling at them. Good possession, good on freeing up space with his dribble, and good at not dribbling too much before relinquishing well placed forward or square passes. If he would just learn to shoot now.

12. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    To be completely honest, I was a little frustrated with him in the first half. Too many stray passes. But he came into his own in the second, and became very effective. Still missing a bit in the chemistry department, tho, he failed to read a couple runs by Henry and Freddy correctly.

13. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think that, as a Liverpool fan, you'd realize any team can win the whole thing.

14. drgunner

drgunner New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Anyone else see Rick on TV?

15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    WHAT!!! See now I have to stay up until 12:30 and watch this match.

16. drgunner

drgunner New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    It's worth staying up for, rick or no rick. Lehman's save after the shot that hit the post is amazing. That one save alone should make him germany's #1 keeper.

17. KUBI_nu11

KUBI_nu11 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Mies, SWITZERLAND!
    What a game that was :eek: One of the best 0 - 0 games I have ever seen!

Great result for Arsenal! Congrats to all the team and specially Big Phil :) Henry and Lehman!

18. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
    Just imagine the trouble we'd be in if we came up against a troll who could speak English!!!:eek:

19. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Wow. Just Wow.

Best Nil-Nil evah (well....perhaps :))

Man the atmosphere was mental. Haven't heard Highbury like that for years. And at 2000 reduced capacity too! I wonder how it came across on the TV.

20. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    No,

The truth is that we are the only English team to beat Madrid at the Beu.

The truth is with a bit more luck we could have had a hat full in the first leg.

The truth is that if we hadn't been playing a 12 man Madrid side (stoopid ref) and a wee bit of luck we could have had a shed load at Highbury

The Truth is Arsenal ARE a so called "big gun". Or have you not been watching for the last ten years. Hell, even this year - all things considered - we can't complain. How many teams with our injury problems would be fighting relegation rather than fighting for CL qualification.

21. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cannot wait to see this. The soccernet game tracker said it was one of the best 0-0 matches they had seen. Awesome!!!

Next round, baby!! And the only flag-bearer for the Premiership!!

22. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    What I'm loving about Arsenal right now is that the kids are the backbone of the team. It's great. Our best players are 19, 20, 21 years old. A lot of the older, more expensive guys could walk away right now and arguably improve the club - that has to give Wenger peace of mind.

23. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    This game and the Chelsea/Barca match remind you that even if you are a great side, rare exceptions aside, you need one true Genius to get the result............we have one. We can't lose him and expect to continue to compete on this level.

One moment of brillance aside, we didn't score a single goal against the worst defense left in the competition.