Arsenal v. Manchester United, January 1, 2020 2000 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Dec 31, 2019.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    didn't see the whole game, only highlights, but i saw lacazette and, i think, pepe (?) who were both cluttered into in the box and they both fought to keep their feet. if they do the usual flop, i think they both get penalty without much arguments.

2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that stood out to me during the Chelsea game was how the Jorginho 'second yellow' incident seemed to trigger an onslought of 'how was that not a yellow?!?' complaining incidents by a number of our players that seemed to bleed into the United game. Laca especially seemed to be complaining, but maybe his getting the yellow instead of Jorginho made me especially sensitive to his actions.

Whatever the case, I hate that crap. Play the game, stop trying to game the refs.

NorthBank repped this.
  3. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York

Yuh dunno!!

DaPrince84 repped this.
  4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    This is why, pardon if this is a dead horse im digging up to beat again, letting Rambo go was a madness. Fully realizing that he probably just wanted to go but still. He's in his prime, him as a runner in the 2nd phase buildup and able to play overloads in what it looks like Arteta wants would be ideal. Add in his physicality and yeah it sucks he aint here for Arteta's reign

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That’s supposed to be . . . confidential.

daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    No shots at anyone, but I'm always surprised that people think of athletes as finished products. IMO the organizations that win across the board specialize in player development. Company culture for us corporate people is paramount, you hear people say "I'm working here cause I can grow, and I'll be challenged". Why wouldn't that hold for pro athletes? Player development isn't just something that happens in the academy. Again I see this as mostly UK held view. When I realized that for every 1 coaching badge holder there are 812 players in England, while in Spain it's 1:17, Germany 1: 150, and France 1:96 then it all started making sense why people view skill training and player development the way they do.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, a new manager wins one game, gets the crowd singing, and to top it all off BigSoccer ghosts come out of hiding! :D

Walia Ibex, mebeSajid, DutchCane and 2 others repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That might've been me. TBH I don't recall which incident(s) I flagged up, but it might've been along the lines of acting like he'd been shot in the face or something. I've noticed a trend in Laca's increased diving & embellishment and it bugs me. But you're right about that time that he stayed on his feet when he could've earned a PK. Still, call me old fashioned, but I'm 100% clear on which style of football I like to watch... the honest kind or the Spanish/Brazilian kind (for lack of another label) :ducks:

9. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Ghosts of Arsenal Past kinda apropos considering we're in the Holiday Season :ROFLMAO:

NorthBank repped this.
  10. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they say here in the South:

Now don't go on being a stranger now, you hear?

That goes for Dutch and Charlie and whoever else wants to come crawling back out of the woodwork.

charlie15, NorthBank and DutchCane repped this.
  11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't get over how much his value is impacted by the constant injuries. We screwed up letting him walk, but selling him would have been a defensible move because of his injuries.

DutchCane repped this.
  12. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof.

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    In a perfect world, I think he would have been great under arteta. We saw how he’s was very good when emery had him as the pressing trigger. But then, I don’t think he’d last in this system with his hammy and thigh issues. Even Auba is gassed after every match.

He’s had trouble with injuries at Juve as well. Only getting a handful of starts, two goal, no assists in 500 minutes. If we are working with hindsight, one of miki or Iwobi is the obvious miss since the Pepe thing has taken so long.

DutchCane repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    As ever, the mistake with Ramsey was already locked in 2 years ago because he was allowed to run down his contract

But for Arsenal to give a mega contract to a 29 year old frequently injured player would just repeat all the same mistakes.

DutchCane repped this.
  15. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Should have added a David Caruso gif.

daedalus repped this.
  16. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    And to be fair, I think the club thought ceballos would fill in the Ramsey gap a little.

DutchCane repped this.
  17. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #192 casoccerdad47, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Since Ramsey spent much of his most productive season at Arsenal partnered with Arteta in a double pivot I have no doubt that Arteta could have brought out the best in him.

Re the hammies, Ryan Giggs has credited yoga with solving the hamstring problems he suffered early in his career. I was hoping that when Giggs became the Wales manager that he would strongly suggest Ramsey give it a try. But by now there is probably so much scar tissue in Ramsey’s hamstrings that nothing would help.

DutchCane repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I miss Ramsey's best attributes, I don't have much regret that he's gone.

As @crazy150 said, I think Ramsey's chronic injury problems, some fairly long-term, would cast a shadow over any big deal he would've received. Ramsey's opportunity with us is gone. The only way I'd have him back is if he were to produce one or two relatively injury-free years at Juve, then maybe I might entertain having him back on a relatively cheap, short-term contract.

But really the overall feeling is: it's time to move on... past time actually.

DutchCane repped this.
  19. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Are we really still talking about Ramsey? The injuries, age and lack of production led to that decision. Hasn't lit the world on fire in Serie A either. Was a Academy kid come good, loyal servant to the club but it was the best for all parties. Iowbi is more of a miss than Ramsey right now.

daedalus and DutchCane repped this.
  20. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Laca's chances of getting a penalty called if he goes down...

Chris Kavanagh:

upload_2020-1-3_11-23-4.png

daedalus and bandwagongooner repped this.
  21. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ozil was second on the team in Kms traveled in the game, almost even with Torreira. Also, he led the team in regained possessions with 10. And...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENXdGZ1XYAYlD8l?format=jpg&name=900x900

DutchCane repped this.
  22. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
  23. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    New manager, wants to impress, is given the position he is best in, big games vs rivals hence the big production. His fitness doesn't allow him to consistently to play 90 and I believe he will need to be rotated especially with multiple fixtures a weak. Its upsetting as a fan of his I couldn't see him play for damn near 2 years in his prime because of Emery. Or cynically you can say all that rest is really paid off now.

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramsey has played 65+ mins twice this season...like 67 and 65. He’s hasn’t completed a full 90, all season. And he barely reaches 60 mins most of the time.

daedalus and Walia Ibex repped this.
  25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Ramsey wasn’t an academy kid. And he was good before he came.
    Yep. I wouldn’t be shocked if the wizards at Juve get him going by the end of the season though and then he goes on to have a solid couple of seasons for them.

Such a smart move for him honestly. Big pay day, less intense league, club renown for vakueinf experience and 30+ yo players, will get a few winners medals, etc.