Arsenal v. Manchester United, January 1, 2020 2000 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Dec 31, 2019.

1. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Hey Mebe,

Thanks bro lol work kept me super busy and Emery's reign was just too deflating. I'm just glad there is hope based on the fact that Arteta actually has a plan. I'm excited to see what comes next. Hope all has been well with you man!

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Thoroughly enjoyed the match. I have to say though that I can’t wait for this “play the game in their third” football Arteta is preaching comes to fruition. At 1-0 and we are spraying square balls across the back line, my heart is literally pounding.

That, and Arteta will have to work on how to play with a lead and the ball. Fair play that the defense were up to the task, but will they be against the watfords and burnleys?

I fcukkng saw ozil win a header against Harry McGuire. He hasn’t played this hard in what, 4 years? Falling in love with him again I have to say. So smooth on the ball, such awareness. Watching him run his socks off for 90 mins is like watching a super model clean my house and cook me dinner—total package.

I think Pepe was key to this match myself. While he does give the ball away sometimes, he is an outstanding outlet. The defenders just freeze and give him a yard when he gets the ball allowing us to push up and be in position to attack and counter press if we lose the ball. This is something we needed against Chelsea and haven’t had since Sanchez.

I thought Auba wasn’t too great today, but did his part with effort. If he and Laca had been sharper we would have scored 4-5 goals easy. Laca was better than against Chelsea, but still rusty. Another game for home and maybe some rotation for both will help.

fari repped this.
  3. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I’ll back you on this one. Saka I think has a future at forward, or at least has a another year or two to test those waters.

If AMN doesn’t embrace fullback/wingback, he’s a moron honestly. He only needs to look up the pitch to see what a winger at a top club looks like and he won’t be that. He could do a job at CM, but I don’t think he has the passing range or the touch in small space. But he has the opportunity to be a top fullback. And if arteta plans on using fullbacks like pep, then he can really make a career out of it.

daedalus and ArsenalJake repped this.
  4. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    So clearly Raul should be told to just go organize emails because no one I respect for their opinions on football thought the Emery hire was a good one, except Gary Neville, SMH

daedalus, Super Llama and DaPrince84 repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    There's a rumor from some guys in Private Equity that Kroenke's are planning to sell
    LOL

Nah man I was just super busy and at the same time turned off from Emery's reign of error

DaPrince84 and thebigman repped this.
  7. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    To private equity?

8. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Yeah once the Rams situation is completed in LA

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Help us Aliko Dangote, you're our only hope.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I really hope aubamabloodclatyang will stay until summer

Looks like Xhaka has been talked out of a Jan move

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mebeSajid, DaPrince84, thebigman and 2 others repped this.
  13. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Man this is starting to feel like something really special up in here.

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Ozil turnaround really illustrates how little the pundit class understand what high performance really is.

We get deluged with nonsense about attitude, intensity, grit etc- as if all that is needed is for the players to decide to work harder

But without the overall purpose & frameworks joining up all their efforts everything falls apart.

Suddenly multiple guys who supposedly had no future look very competitive when given structures they believe in, by a charismatic and intelligent leader.

This is also why Freddie couldn't do it himself despite being a great communicator. He is not on top of the detail

But actually we all know this stuff from our working lives

You can work bloody hard and have a great attitude but when the bosses are complete tools, you quickly end up with a crap culture where everyone looks out for no 1

InTheSun, poetgooner, Tonerl and 6 others repped this.
  15. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. He had Shaw pooing his pants nearly the entire time he was on. I like what Arteta is doing with Nelson thus far, and I understood the subbing him on yesterday as Pepe seemed to be tiring a bit. But you could really notice a difference almost immediately in how Shaw started getting forward more when he no longer had Pepe to worry about. And that's saying a lot given that Nelson certainly works hard and isn't exactly slow.

Yep. Neither were sharp. Laca missed one or two good chances and Auba killed at least one or two counters with some poor passing/decision making. They both worked their socks off, just wasn't coming off for them.

One thing I'll add about Lacazette. Someone posted during the match that Lacazette was embellishing contact. Based on the time of the post, I couldn't tell exactly which incident they were referring to. But right around that time was when Lacazette was grabbed and then nearly tripped by Maguire but kept his feet and barely missed scoring with the outside of his boot. If Laca had gone down there, it would've been justified, and I think a PK would've been awarded. So that was an instance when he actually was punished for not being cynical.

16. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    The UK media is really a pox upon the sport of Football. They dumb football down to something devoid of anything other than "workrate" or "passion" and even some of the ex players feed into that nonsense.

Some of the worst offenders are ex Arsenal which is really annoying.

InTheSun, mebeSajid, DaPrince84 and 2 others repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Very good tactical analysis

We finally have that magic spacing. It's interesting the extent that Arteta brings an IP download from City who have excelled in these areas

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Very few elite athletes understand and can articulate their game well.

welcome back, we gon make em mad like the old days

DutchCane, daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

teally cool breakdown. Amn being a cm really helps slot in there and i noticed that especially vs Utd

helps outnumber and support defensively

DutchCane repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yep, lots of thick ex pros with no education. Just natural ability, arrogance and ‘banter’

some players are a bit more educated but even elite guys sometimes spout shite

DutchCane repped this.
  21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So far we have installed the fundamentals of Pep-lite. The changes are fascinating obviously but I'm even more interested to see how, in the coming year, Arteta might differ from the tactical approach of his mentor. If Arteta is able to bring his own unique stylings and personality to this team, we'll know we have someone special and not just someone who, as you say, is basically giving us a Man City oppo dump.

thebigman, DutchCane, danielh and 2 others repped this.
  22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The two facts that 1. Gary Neville was working in the shadow of *Emery* at Valencia, and couldn't get out from under Emery's legacy and was thus over-awed by him, AND 2. That Gary is the leading light/great savior of English football punditry should tell you everything you need to know.

DutchCane and maskito repped this.
  23. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teaching Xhaka to use his weak foot is like Pep teaching Sterling to open up his body to receive passes in the box to finish

Surprising that a professional needs that lesson in either instance, but both Arteta and Pep saw it needed to be done and got it done! Pro-active managers

24. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    #174 crazy150, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    The one-footedness in this squad has been driving me mad, so this was nice. I also saw ozil use his right foot more than usually as well.

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but still plenty for arteta to work out even in attack. We had one shot from midfield the whole game. As elite as our strikers can be and as promising as our wingers are, we need some goal threat from CM.

DutchCane repped this.
  25. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i stopped being surprised with that when i saw blurbs from . . . i wanna say it was guardiola's book? about how he was shocked how little . . . boateng, i think? knew when he joined the team guardiola's team.

Super Llama repped this.