Arsenal v. Leeds United, Monday January 6, 2020 1956 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was there a reason AMN didn't feature? Did I forget an injury or was he just being rested?

2. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Fair play to Arteta. He was really lucky we weren’t 0-3 down at half, but he got us to come out swinging and the job got done.

I will revisit what I’ve said earlier that depending on intensity isn’t sustainable with a squad profile like we have so I’m a little concerned after seeing the regression already in the first half.

I don’t know what he said, but looked like he lit a fire under Ozil, Laca, xhaka and guen. Those four really upped their intensity.

Rob has seen better days on the pitch, but he survived and this will help him come back.

Will the kit man get Nelson the proper studs ffs. Two games in a row he could have had several more good chances if he hadn’t lost traction.

NorthBank and meyers repped this.
  3. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Lots to unpack here but liked that 2h reaction. As mentioned above, it came without substitutions. We finished the game over 2.6 xg after a dismal 1h. The rookie showed the old master a thing or two.

Midfield was the main issue but they sorted it in the end. Guendouzi showed resilience.

Nelson was good and very high energy but still needs a bit more calmness in the end product. Very encouraging though.

Holding was rusty and needs a run of games to get back to form.

Laca rsn himself to the ground again. A goal or two needed to get his offense going.

Best part of the match for me was Sokratis' shithousing near their corner, lol. Also Danny Mills' aneurysm over Xhaka... wants him deported lmao.

NorthBank and yossarian repped this.
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta is some kind of magician.

He apparently pulled out Wenger’s wolf analogy at halftime...and it worked. :ROFLMAO:

maskito repped this.
  5. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multiple people have mentioned Danny Mills complaining about Xhaka, but I didn’t have the privilege of being able to hear his bleating. I want some details! Deportation? This sounds like it was gold!

6. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Sorry, it was Danny Murphy. Complained about Xhaka all game and was even groaning when things didn't go leeds way. The deporting thing was a joke somebody else wrote, though it sounded like him tbf.

Tonerl repped this.
  7. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #57 Tonerl, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Arseblog said it was Danny Mills also, which would make sense given the affiliation.

Either way...sounds delicious.

EDIT: He says Murphy then Mills in the same comment for Xhaka’s player rating. Just a natural bias based on Mills’ history (both as former Leeds player and as noted Robert Pires hater) showing, I guess. But, really, fvck both Danny M’s.

Serengeti_Boy, InTheSun and daedalus repped this.
  8. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    haven't seen any mention. could be resting him because he didn't think they had enough speed outside to threaten sokratis?

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Is he back for a late career swansong?

Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The slightly less odious Danny. Slightly.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alioski is fairly quick, I thought. And remember that speed chart that was making the rounds last season --- showed Sokratis in the top 3 for us, albeit I think that was top speed over 40 meters as opposed to quickness within 10.

daedalus repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just finished watching and you took words from my mouth.

Especially that bit where Sokratis was playing like a winger in their corner killing time, and getting into an almighty tussle which led to a silly VAR review. I loved him in that moment!

And to say Holding was rusty is a bit of an understatement. He had some truly atrocious passing, that luckily never lead to a disaster. I still like him but I can see now how everyone's faith that he would be our nailed-on starter upon return was a bit naive.

Tale of 2 halves indeed. Super lucky to get a win. We shoulda been down 0-1 or 0-2 at HT and it woulda been a different 2T.

Sure it's great that Arteta turned us around after HT, but it shouldn't take a hair-dryer speech or whatever to get them playing that way from the get go. That's my biggest concern. 1T vs Leeds was as bad as 1T vs United was good.

13. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    So he’s basically the same as he was for Emery last year?

14. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel your pain. Every time I use NBC sports gold or Bleacher report live, I have to re-login and then I have to re-activate my Apple TV with a new access code on their website. It is such a royal pain in the ass. At least I know to start the process at least 5 minutes prior to kickoff now.

I sometimes wish I was a millenial or younger. Then I would not remember the days where I could just turn on my Directtv and watch the Arsenal match.
    I hate streaming :(

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I am a millennial and I pay an ungodly amount of money every month for cable just to avoid streaming.

Besides ESPN+, which I can stream through my Xbox, live streaming aggressively sucks.

IAH-Gooner and NorthBank repped this.
  16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I haven't had many issues with streaming (just about everything works with Apple TV), and I pay slightly less for 1Gbit Internet + YoutubeTV + Netflix + Disney+ what I paid for 150Mbit + TV with Comcast.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me the interesting part of your post is "I pay slightly less..." Which says to me that you're near a tipping point where you end up paying more than you used to. And I suspect all of our futures will be to pay significantly more when we add up all the myriad of digital subscriptions we'll need/want to have.

I guess to make it apples vs apples, you could argue that you should subtract the cost of basic Internet service (e.g. 100mpbs) which you would've been paying (in parallel) to your old TV package anyway. Maybe that's $40-50/mo? So perhaps that's how close you really are to the tipping point.

18. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Gen-x, and I subscribe to Hulu Live TV, which gives me all the sports and basic cable channels I need. It works really well as a cable/satellite alternative. I switched to Hulu from Sling, which was less expensive but limited in channel lineups and features.

To watch ESPN+, I just have to enter my Hulu account info (since that's how I subscribe to ESPN networks) into the ESPN apps or website. If you have an ESPN account (free, and highly recommended since it will track all your favorite teams and sports) then it should save your info and be available any time you log in.

19. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely anyone that has high speed internet and cable TV will still get Netflix and Disney plus to get their exclusive content. So if you add those fees (roughly $20/mo combined), then cord cutting is still typically a much better value.

My concern is that all these streaming services are becoming too fractured by developing and keeping their exclusive content within their own platforms. For example, NBC is about to launch their own streaming service, Peacock, which will be the only place to access The Office and other NBC shows online. I haven't looked into it heavily, but if Peacock includes NBC Sports Gold, then I *might* consider it. Otherwise, I feel like I already have more than enough services and content to last me several lifetimes.

NorthBank repped this.
  20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes. Though most likely a number of these won't survive.

There is a real imperative for these big players to avoid the itunes fiasco where massive rights holders like Sony somehow lost all their content onto a rival platform because Apple won the scale game.

Hence the likes of Disney and co want to leverage their content into their own walled garden. It may be too late of course.

21. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does Apple TV have DVR?

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, that goes hand in hand with my concern. I've written a fair amount on the TV threads about the fracturing or balkanization of streaming services, and all of the negative ripple-effects of that... one of which is aggregate cost. I'd rather see a digital market develop for "aggregators" who would offer more competitively priced bundles of channels/services, and maybe even a unified GUI, because the myriad of interfaces and controls is one of the other ripple-effects.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No, but YoutubeTV has unlimited DVR for nine months. Comcast's interface is better on TV, but YoutubeTV blows it out of the water on my phone, iPad, and computer.

24. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not exactly. It wasn't an apples to apples comparison, because I didn't include how much I was paying for Netflix (which I had then) and Disney+ (which didn't exist then). Though, to be fair, Comcast was giving me Starz and Showtime.

Difference in Internet speed is roughly $40.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So my issue with Comcast was that the way they stacked all kinds of fees on top of everything else, and they frequently changed without notice. The sticker price that Comcast offered would be about what I pay for Internet+YoutubeTV today. But they also stacked ~$30 in BS fees on top of that. Granted, this is an issue where Comcast is the biggest offender.