Arsenal v. Bayern Munich - March 7, 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Mar 6, 2017.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    MVP race was different for the AL and NL. Relying on MVP votes is essentially saying Bonds is better than Griffey because Frank Thomas was really good.

And we're talking through age 30, and I think everyone here is of the opinion that Bonds was juicing and Griffey wasn't.

WAR through age 30:
    Griffey:
    oWar: 68.2
    dWar: 11.0
    WAR: 76.1

Bonds:
    oWar: 55.5
    dWar: 11.9
    WAR: 73.7

Bonds did have a higher OBP through age 30, but that's because Bonds walked an extra 30 or so times as season. Griffey also hit something like 150 more home runs through age 30 than Bonds did, at a higher average. Griffey's OPS is ten points higher, but Bonds has a higher OPS+ (suggesting park effects played a role).

Not nearly as clear cut as you're making it out to be. Again, through age 30:

Griffey: .296/.380/.568, OPS of .948, with 438 home runs.
    Bonds: .286/.398/.541, OPS of .938, with 292 home runs.

Looking at numbers through age 30 only, I'd probably take Griffey over Bonds. Not an easy call, but that's the one I'd make.

2. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bonds without steroids is a no-brainer HOFer. Give him steroids people think he's better than Babe Ruth

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is baseball even a real sport?

4. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

Silva 5, DutchCane and thebigman repped this.
  5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's as real as darts, golf, bowling, or cricket, fwiw. So I suppose it depends on where one thinks the "sport" versus "game" Venn diagrams line up. But funnily enough, and perhaps Jitty did this intentionally, the fellow who Jitty posted the pic of once famously stated when asked by an interviewer about being an athlete: "Lady, I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."

6. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of a time when and an older buddy of mine ran into Mark Grace, former first baseman for Cubs, at one of bars on the north side of Chicago following a game in early 90s. Grace was pounding shots of whiskey and chainsmoking as usual.
    My buddy ... nervously approached Grace - politely said hello and sheepishly offered some unsolicited advice "mark you got a big series against the mets coming up - it's halfway in season - you got take care of yourself a bit better"
    Grace looks at him - deadpans "I am not an athlete - I am a baseball player"

Silva 5 and DutchCane repped this.
  7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How does Ruth fare in a league with black players?

Gunning4Chelsea repped this.
  8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm aware it was different. Bonds was still hailed as the best in his league and was robbed one more time in 1992 as well.

The Kingdome was a hitters park. 3 Rivers and Candlestick were not hitters parks, from what I remember. Also Griffey came to the majors at 19 while Bonds came at 21. Griffey missed half of one season in that frame.

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sure, but MVP votes aren't the best metric to go off of, especially when we have robust quantitative data.

Griffey's home numbers through age 30 are slightly better (though his away numbers are better in some seasons). Bonds's home vs. away numbers are essentially a wash. I don't think park effects can account for what amounts to an extra 15 home runs a season for one player. That's a lot.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wasn't responding to that.

You were citing the OPS disparities between the two.

11. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to barnstorming stories, about the same