Alert: Arsenal to tour Africa and Asia in 2012

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Scally, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Arsenal prepare for pre-season trip to Nigeria

This would be huge in Nigeria, there is a massive fan base over there and i'm sure how ever many games we play over there will be sold out instantly. It will be great for these passionate fans to get the chance to see some Arsenal squaddies in the flesh.

2. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Arsenal to tour Africa in 2012

Sorry but this would annoy the hell out of me. Going to Asia is one thing but hitting Nigeria before the US...:rolleyes:

3. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

Why? Do you think we have some sort of 'right' to watch the Arsenal over fans from other countries? Like Scally said, I'm sure they will sell out every game in Nigeria.

4. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

It's just an incredibly poor marketing move. Nigeria ahead of North America? If we absolutely must do Africa instead of NA and Asia, why not South Africa? These aren't charity tours.

5. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It isn't about "deserving", it is about money which should be the focus when planning these tours. For a club that falls behind other "top" clubs in merchandising, the trip to Asia made sense but ignoring the large American market year after year is silly. I can't tell you how many people I know who spent money on club gear in large part because of preseason tours in the US. Hell even my wife bought three different shirts and a variety of other gear because she watched AC Milan, Celtic, and others tour here.

Edit: I see Rewinder made the point before I finished. Hard not to see this as just another poor decision by the brain trust at Arsenal.

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

reuters.com-Nigeria: will it fall apart or can it hold?

Sounds like a great place to visit. Good timing as well.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

i agree. Its not like there isnt a website catered to Americans on arsenal.com

8. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

Charity? Are the tickets free or something?

I agree that the American market is bigger, but there may be different reasons for it - like setting up roots there for recruiting purposes or academies. I'm just speculating, but I don't think it's a big deal.

9. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

They are having problems with strikes due to an increase in gas costs, and there are problems brewing between the Christians and the Muslims. I agree that timing isn't great, but hopefully these problems are temporary.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

the christians and muslims have been fighting in Nigeria since the country formed.

Neither will fucc with football, and most of the issues have been in the north.

the Occupy Nigeria movement hasnt lead to violence. They are striking over the government removing gas subsidies which have raised gas prices by over $2 overnight (literally overnight). I do believe shit will pop off there within the next 12-18 months tho.

11. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

The ultimate purpose of these trips is to increase the club's revenue, and after 1 trip to Asia, I don't think anyone can logically pick Nigeria as the next money making destination. Nigeria is not even the premier destination in Africa for a club looking to grow their brand.

If we are not going to be making summer trips that maximize our revenue, what is the point?

12. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland

Is the ultimate purpose to increase revenue? If that is true, then we shouldn't go anywhere but Asia. I suspect there are many reasons for picking one country over another. I mean ManU and Portsmouth have gone and have played teams in nigeria in recent years as well. Why would they do that? I think it has more to do with forming partnerships and networks for future players or current players playing in the Nigerian.

13. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm just not too sure that touring sub-Saharan Africa will make the best preseason for our squad. Sure, it would be nice if they hit up North America. But, what was wrong with the high-altitude training in the Alps? I just want what's best for the squad.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

lets face it, africans have a much better football culture than north america, and more passionate fans

u have no divine rights just because u think the market in america is big....asia would be ten times more profitable but u don't mind we are going nigeria over that?

africa is a rapidly developing continent (thanks to china) and i am really happy for the fans in nigeria to get some live football

africa>>>

15. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure if it quantifiable, but Mexican/Costa Rican/Honduran, etc. football fans are pretty damned passionate.

I don't think anyone of the North Americans believe it's our "divine right" to see the Arsenal tour here. I think we'd also just agree that it would be nice. Realistically, if they went to the West Coast, I know I'd have no shot at seeing them anyway. ;)

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What makes you say that? Boko Haram's ideology considers any interaction with Western Culture a sin. What could be a more obvious symbol of Western culture than a team of multimillionaire footballers?

17. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In this specific context what you say is true. However, there are a great many Americans (meaning US residents, as opposed to North Americans as a whole) who believe the US has a divine right to a great many things.

And no matter what happens, I know ain't no Arsenal coming to no Columbus. ;)

18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

they dont get involved in sports from what Ive seen.

Secondly, and more importantly, there are Westerners who have much more wealth that walk around Abuja everyday. Nothing happens to them.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They bombed the UN building in Abuja just a few months ago. Like i said earlier, it's not good timing, there's the possibility that Nigeria could be on the brink of civil war this summer. Why take a chance?

20. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know Nigeria has passionate fans. I've lost count of the number of times my taxi driver turned out to be a Nigerian football fan in love with the Prem. They always talk to me about the Prem after seeing my Arsenal gear. Cable here carried a Nigerian channel with a crazy Prem review show. So I don't doubt their passion but you simply can't compare the likely return on investment between the US and Nigeria. Not sure about your divine right nonsense and since the club went to Asia already it makes little sense to mention that either.

I think people in other countries and the UK in particular don't really get how important these tours are for getting new fans for the club and all the cash that comes with them. Most of you grew up supporting a Prem club and had family traditions connected to the club so you might not get how people without that history "pick" a club to support. I've brought numerous friends to these tour matches and then watched as those friends went on to become fans of the clubs I exposed them to. It is very annoying watching Chelsea or ManU grow simply because they bothered to show up here. My wife ended up an AC Milan fan after first watching them on tour here. Back in Philly I have Irish-American friends that spend tons on Celtic merchandise after first seeing them on tour there.

In all these cases, none of these people supported any club in Europe prior to seeing them tour here. Some weren't even football fans and the ones that were didn't really follow football outside of the World Cup and other national team matches. Arsenal already missed out on a large number of potential fans simply because they've waited too long to come here while their competitors put down a claim through these tours. Every year that pattern continues means more potential fans lost.

21. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia

This is a great way of putting things. Well said.

Now, all of this said, and even with a possible tour to Nigeria, who cares this year? Any tour to Lagos or Abuja in 2012 is a goodwill tour moreso than a possible brand-building tour. I would like my fellow Americans to really think whether or not they'd want Arsenal coming to these shores the same year as the Euros. For those of you who remember when other teams have done this and how much ill-will it has brought upon certain clubs in some cities, I'd rather not see Miquel and Yennaris while RvP and Szczesny are still on vacation. Wait until 2013 and bring them over for a NYC, Philadelphia, and DC trip.

22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Nigeria has been on the brink of a civil war for the better part of 40 years, lol

tbh, I have no idea why they chose Nigeria but I bet they have done more research on this than we all have and probably have the right assurances too.

wait a minute, are you saying these same people dont exist in Nigeria? In fact, when was the last time a major club went to Nigeria for a tour? Or any country in Africa? I can only remember United in 2008 or 2009 having matches in South Africa, but thats it. You make it sound like American support is more important than Nigeria support. I think thats wrong and harsh, but you are entitled to your view.

Arsenal will be here eventually, and people who never heard of Arsenal will come out to support them.

23. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON

More money making shit by the Asset stripng wankers that are running our club, Is this good for the team? will It help our preperations for the following season? will it ********, it will just fill the pockets of our greedy ambition lacking board, The managers against it,********ing clubs bent!

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Perhaps this is a talent search tour? You Arsenal
    show in countries and see our African players and
    think "that could be me" or "wow, that is MY club!"

Still I'm stunned that Wenger refuses to visit the USA.

25. xXJippedXx

xXJippedXx New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I think you all have to take 2 things into consideration:

The London Olympics and the Euros...

Many Arsenal players will be competing in both tournaments so pre season will be mainly full of youth and fringe players as Wenger always gives an extended break to anyone competing at international touranments.

Obviously North America is a HUGE market for the club to tap into but you all know the club will tour the U.S it's already been stated by the club officials, but it would be a massive own goal for the club to travel across the pond this summer without the full squad. A tour of the U.S will be a big deal for everyone so the club are gonna want to do it properly.