Arsenal Fan TV

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by pookspur, Apr 12, 2017.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what do you folks make of it?

apologies if there's already a thread on this - I scrolled back a few pages, but didn't see one - or maybe it's been discussed at length in another thread. at any rate, feel free to delete this if it's superfluous.

apparently it's more than just gooners watching it, which I'd like to say is baffling, but I suppose I've seen enough of the vids that I can't. That said, I'm not sure why I've seen as much as I have. I really don't see a whole lot there. But I'm not an Arsenal fan, so ... I guess I'm just curious. What do you lot make of it?

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Funny viewing

Some have knowledge others are just characters who get YouTube views

Either way, they are at the games paying to go every week so they can have their opinion even if un informed

3. cantona94

cantona94 Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed bigman. I think too many make way too much of Arsenal fan tv as Arsenal itself. While I do think the majority of fans now want Wenger gone, 95% of fans aren't crazy characters like most of those dudes on the videos.

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a few of these a few years back. Got tired of them pretty quickly, so generally don't see much value in them now.

More importantly Pook, is this your first thread started in the Arsenal board? Hmm, seems like you're slipping slowly but surely over to the dark side. :thumbsup:

5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    at this rate....Arsenal Fan TV will get picked up by Netflix. so many non-arsenal fans watch it, so they're doing something right.

the show is an enjoyable way to laugh off the frustration after a disappointing game and there have been lots of them this season :(

i would just like to know what some of these fans do for a living to afford tickets for all the games both home and away....the cost must add up after awhile...

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's visceral content that allows the most vested parties to indulge their passions. In good samples it's hype and celebration of the fans' beliefs and joys, in bad examples it's the vitriolic release of self-righteousness. I feel, anyway.

In other words, it's neither good nor bad but simply common filler programming like so much other stuff out there these days. Behold the power of the internet!

thebigman repped this.
  7. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    well, I did start a thread on here last season, but it didn't take. :D

with no match thread up only one day before your League Cup match at Sheffield Wednesday, I took the magnanimous step of starting one, for the purpose of lending my not inconsiderable knowledge of that South Yorkshire club's roster and tactical inclinations into your matchday experience.

it was deleted and replaced ... and not for the better - in either content or Arsenal results. Such ingratitude. ya try to help some people ...

NorthBank and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, I kinda see it the same way.

as a concept, it seems as though there really should be a fairly nice upside - for reasons that you've mentioned, as well as simply as a vehicle for fans to articulate their positions beyond chants and songs. I haven't seen a whole lot of it, to be fair, but it really seems that they've dropped the ball a bit in that regard. I mean, yes, there are a handful of fans who are getting their thoughts out there as individuals, but it seems really lacking in depth - at least relative to what I suspect it could be.

that Robbie seems a likable enough fella. I've actually seen him on other outlets making some rather insightful comments about Wenger and the Board. But on AFTV it just seems like it's, "(fill in the blank with regular interviewee), another disappointing result today," followed by the exact same thing as after the last similar result, not infrequently with staggering inarticulateness - or put differently, offering literally nothing beyond what one gets from the chants and songs - except maybe just a little extra love/venom.

I want to like it - at least conceptually, not because it's Arsenal. They don't make it easy, though. That said, I'd have a pint with that Claude. I feel for him at times. :D

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that's why they (and us for that matter) are fans and not TV pundits. the depth of their analysis is going to be average at best. the show is for entertainment purposes only and for fans like us who are in front of a computer or TV during game time to hear the opinion of the fans who are actually there.

keep in mind these fans are watching the game in person without the benefit of instant replay, without ESPN/Fotmob stats in front of them, and without DVR rewinds and chances are there are probably a few pints in their system as well.

that "extra love/venom" you mention is always going to be there b/c these interviews come right after the fans leave the stadium after a tough defeat or comeback victory....the high/low a fan gets from watching a game live vs. on TV is totally different.

it's a two-way street with the "characters" that get interviewed every week: "DT" "Claude" "Troopz" "Ty" "Bully" - give the show that "i want to see what these fans have to say next game" thus bringing people like myself back to watch game after game. i'm sure that was not the intent of the show when it first started, but that is what it has apparently morphed into for better/worse.

example: for all of Troopz' uses of the words "fam" "mad tings" "blood", he does make some good points and says things that people on these message boards have been saying for years but get flamed for mentioning....

to me, the show is great and helps lighten the mood anytime the result is not in our favor....

pookspur and GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    ^^ Agreed. There's no need for it to try and duplicate the material found on commercial media or bona fide journalistic ventures. It's more one variation of sports talk radio only without the conventional host spurring the topic. It's what I'd expect from those guys if they were at the bar wanting to talk about the club, game, whatever. For those that want to indulge it provides that extension. For those not inclined, there are plenty of other outlets.

Not sure how long it will last, though. Like much start-up programming the rehashing of themes can make it boring pretty quickly. I rarely view anymore because I know what to expect.

Furnaccio repped this.
  11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah, I completely get what you're saying, and I certainly am not looking for media pundit-types of analysis.

interestingly enough, this ...

[QUOTE="GunnerJacket, post: 35334483, member: 33430... It's what I'd expect from those guys if they were at the bar wanting to talk about the club, game, whatever ...[/QUOTE]

... is exactly what I find disappointing about it. I don't know quite as many at Spurs, if I'm honest, but I know a good 15-20 at Wednesday, and I always meet these fellas prior/post-game when I can get to Hillsborough. I'm not suggesting that they are any more articulate than the 5-10(?) regulars on AFTV - they certainly do almost as much abuse to the Queen's English - or that what gets discussed is anything like what the pundits take from games. Like DT, Claude, Troopz, etc., they're fans. But crikey, the stuff you get at the New Barrack Tavern after games is soooooo much more varied, and immeasurably more interesting, than what's on AFTV.

you get the same kinds of match commentary, 'has Carlos lost the dressing room?', 'gaffer in/out' stuff, too; but also things like 'should they let that band keep playing on the Kop?', stewarding was a bit aggressive, why has the North Stand gone so quiet?, why give _____ the entire Leppings Lane end if they're only gonna sell 200 tickets?, stuff about the opposition, stuff elsewhere in the division ... I could go on and on.

it's not my point to belittle AFTV, or to complain about what it is - as stated, you can take this stuff or leave it. but it does seem to me that they're knocking on the door of something that could be really quite cool, but just don't seem inclined to go through it. maybe it'd be better if they were in the pub, the regulars around a table where there could be some give and take, and ideas and thoughts could develop, rather than just a series of individual interviews.

but whatever. it is what it is. I was just curious as to whether, it being Arsenal and all, it had any more substantive appeal to you lot.

12. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the Jersey/Geordie shore version of arsenal fandom.

13. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    there is a guy that comes on about once a month (usually for home games) that has very good analysis and knows his stats inside out.

14. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm ambivalent.

Parts I like are that Robbie has a mix of Wenger IN and Outs. For every Ty or Chris, there is a Claude, DT, Troopz or Kenny Ken.

And he has some decent interviews with ex-players, legends like Wrighty or Parlour, and with club officials.

I don't like the fights, since it is more exagerrated than on other channels, and there are not many tactical analysis vids either.

It's unfair that the rants are highlighted. Come on, there are always rants on every channel. The Man U channels (Full time devils/united peoples tv) have rants, the Spurs channel Spurred on does I bet, there was a guy on 100% Chelsea who ranted when Chelsea lost to Soton last season. I bet even Barca Fan TV if there is one would have such. It's football. that alone shouldn't undermine rants, but they need to tone down the arguments.

I don't mind it, fan media is a posiitve thing, but I've long held that our fans (as well as our esteemed manager and the board) contribute to us being a laughing stock. AFTV does amplify this effect, if not create it.

Fifty repped this.
  15. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I actually met Robbie before the Man City game, it was near the Tesco's down the road from Arsenal station, but funnily enough the Louis guy from 100% Chelsea was there too, I don't kno. I didn't go on Arsenal Fan TV, but was just walking, saw him, and just wanted to talk to him.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wasn't that the game where Theo and Ox went off injured? Those injuries probably cost us ten points. Now we know who to blame for Leicester winning the title. SMH

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    exactly. blame whoever shitcanned my awesome thread and replaced it with the one that led to that travesty.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Pook. How ya holding up, on your run-in? Hope you didn't have your hopes up too high on the title chance.

Even if you guys implode the remaining games, you've had an excellent season, that you should be proud of.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember how pook downplays everything. Spurs really are the goddamn Jets.

Sincerely,
    A Jets Fan

20. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    losing to west ham is never fun - but I've held no doubts about Chelsea's run in. in the highly unlikely event that they lose a couple of their last four, I may be saying 'what if?' - but I doubt it.

like last year, it was never our title to lose - the leaders never blinked. So I just tried to enjoy the race(s) as long as we could make it one. obviously, the 'collapse' last year was really unpalatable, particularly as it meant finishing beneath yours - it really left a bitter taste after a very good season.

this year won't be nearly so bad, though I must admit that losing in the Cup semi was hard, and on the outside chance that you should win it, it would make for another (though far less) bittersweet finish.

the notion that we are the Jets is, with all due respect, preposterous. we are very good right now. I realize that means significantly less without silverware. I may be a pessimist - but I've never called Spurs shit*. hopefully we finish strong with a nice gap between us and third. frankly, if you would lose in the Final it would help my summer a bit.

*I don't follow NFL at all; but I'm presuming that the Jets are pretty much universally described as shit, no?

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Jets aren't consistently awful (with some exceptions). They've had some very good seasons in the last fifteen years. It's more that a lot of really ridiculous stuff happens to them, their fans refuse to accept the possibility that they might be good because they've been burned so many times (like having the lead in the second half of more than one AFC Championship game and blowing it).

22. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i'm with ya, then. I do, however, recognize Spurs as being very good. I just also know that they have an exceptional ability to kick me in the junk just as I begin to think good thoughts.

I don't blame them, of course. Optimism is just asking for it.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You had to go say that? I take back the nice things I just said about your team. And I'm taking my ball too! :p

25. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They had a decent team around 2009. A very high intensity style, not unlike the current tottenham, but always managed to blow it just before the superbowl.