Arsenal at West Ham, December 9, 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalMetro, Dec 9, 2019.

1. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Do we have a choice? We need to keep winning

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddie had the choice at Norwich and he left him on the bench in favor of Guendouzi. Then last match he started LT instead. That was a nadir home defeat so when he had the choice again, he bravely stuck with Lucas. I hope he continues to favor him.

Maybe Xhaka's apparent concussion will force Freddie'ss hand, and Lucas+Matteo can cement a good partnership?

3. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that was fun. Torreira was fantastic. I thought AMN looked better than Bellerin has of late. He looked so smooth and got out of pressure nicely. With Bellerin's lack of pace now he seemed to have no way around anyone, amn seems much better at that. Nice to finally get a win.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  4. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz was installed by Joorabchian.

Edu is probably just fearful for his life if Luiz doesn’t get appearance bonuses.

mebeSajid, daedalus and Super Llama repped this.
  5. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently AMN doesn't want to play RB. Unfortunately, he's already very good there and should keep playing there indefinitely.

6. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t want to see Ricardo Montalban as Khan suffer that indignity, though. It’s a real conundrum...some Monkey’s Paw shit.

mebeSajid repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez. Harsh. Even high level athletes usually take close to a year to fully recover from ACL surgery. And he won't get match sharpness back just playing with the U23s.

DaPrince84 and InTheSun repped this.
  8. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    He doesn't because he isn't a RB..He was brought up and trained as a Midfielder. He has said that on several occasions.

I am a midfielder by trade, either central or on the wing, it's all the same to me. I'm not a defender, so I do get a lot of stick about my defending being poor, but it's something I'm learning and have been learning for a couple of years now.

"It's not going to come overnight. If I was a defender as a kid, and my defending was poor, I would understand where the criticism is coming from, but I'm trying my best for the team and for the manager.

"It's not where I would choose to put myself in the team, as I'm an attacking player by trade. That's all I can try to bring to the team. I'm still learning the defensive side, so when players are running at me, and they're throwing skills at me, I'm still learning how to deal with that."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...defensive-game-prefers-midfield-role.amp.html

He played poorly as RB early in the season but was very poor hence his him being benched. Then he played as a MF I believe earlier in a cup game and played awful and never saw the field again. I am glad though he got a return because he played well down the wings and his passing was superb. Bellerin is shot imo.

9. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Just watched the match on DVR. Amazing what happens when you have dynamic, active players who run an attack a defense! I advocated a shake-up-the-status-quo lineup after Brighton, and while Freddie didn't go that far, I thought Martinelli and Pepe were great in the second half. Now replace Xhaka with someone who won't stand around - whether that is Guendouzi or Willock or try AMN in the midfield - and this team could really take off.

FWIW, I'd like to replace Ozil with someone more dynamic as well, but I'm not sure the option is in the squad right now. Maybe Ceballos can do something when he is healthy, maybe ESR or Nelson can develop into that guy some day.

10. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I’ve been saying start Martinelli and bench #34. Glad for the win , glad we came to life, glad for the forwards taking those chances.
    But the first 55-60 minutes is probably as Bad as I’ve seen Arsenal play . It was like Barcelona form a decade ago except we has the ball and could barely get it out of our Half. We didn’t even reach their box for the large part of the 1st half .

I have no idea who we didn’t plan for the press —the spacing was horrendous .

Xhaka was terrible -absolutely terrible . Any decent side would have Punished us .
    Glad we won but the victory doesn’t solve our horrendous MF problems

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, our absolutely stunning strike efficiency (3 shots on target, 3 goals) papers over the fact that we were still out shot, but this time just by a little bit... not the huge disparity we've been seeing of late.

One match does not right the ship, but it sure was great to see us not give up, play vertically and with urgency, turn things around in 2T and basically run them off the pitch. For weeks/months now, I've been feeling we still had that in us, and today it finally came out! As did the big smiles from the players and coaches at FT.

One step at a time.

12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Trouble is we can maybe expect a handful of points from our next 5 games.

We just wasted the easy schedule getting outshot by bad teams.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  13. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it's almost as if . . . he was played out of position. weird, huh?

cooper7d7, Rapid-Gooner and yossarian repped this.
  14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Someone else sees the resemblance too!

15. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Almost lol.

I think its interesting that AMN lack of defensive instinct actually massively helped out the team. He went forward because that is what he knows how to to do.

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lauren and van Bronckhorst also were trained as midfielders originally. Sack up, AMN!

17. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, that's why I added the "as of late" and lack of pace "now". I think AMN played well enough that Bellerin doesn't have to play every game and Chambers can play cb and not rb.

yossarian repped this.
  18. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if he had the choice though he'd rather play RB than not even make the bench.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. But last night gave us perhaps just a tiny glimmer of hope. But I'm trying personally to be "careful" not to adopt an overly hopeful position. Could be bad for my health. ;)

However, one definitely takes note of other recent data points like United taking all 3 points at City, like Everton handily beating Chelsea, etc. IOW, result predictions don't always go as planned.

Some simple things can help you go a long way. Like good coaching tactics & preparations. Or playing with sheer will, desire & urgency. Right from KO!

20. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well if we play against City with the relegation battle mentality and new found belief perhaps we can upset them. After all they are in a spiral of their own and we have some very fast forward players.

21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd do back-flips if we managed a draw.

mebeSajid repped this.
  22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We managed to not do something stupid:

1204440793123086336 is not a valid tweet id

maskito, NorthBank and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  23. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why post something with a sample size this small? It literally tells us nothing.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought yesterday's match was encouraging! We were completely trash in the first half but kept our Brighton second half rebound going for a whole half. I think kudos are in order to Freddie who did some of the necessary changes. I don't get the Luiz love tbh, I think he's been a prime factor in the disorganization of our backline, and having some stability at the back is crucial, so swapping him out looked good. And swapping Laca out, as I had thought, allowed us to have a little more control over the midfield, because we had genuine pace on the wings that could pin back the opposition wide players.

The xg numbers seem to show this was our best defensive performance in a while, and I'd mostly agree with that via eye test. We still look pretty squishy but there was an improvement. Not giving up over 20 shots to a relegation team is a start.

Once we got play through the lines West Ham couldn't defend us at all. They look really, really, bad. So that's the caveat I suppose: this may be the worst opposition performance we've faced all year.

One problem with Pepe has been that he's been incredibly ineffective against defenses set in their low block, and we can see from his various Ligue 1 highlight reels that many of his attacking contributions would come off the counter. So having him find the Robben spot on that corner of the penalty box and go to work was particularly encouraging.

Sadly I think I have to eat some crow on one facet: after the Brighton match I thought that we should keep Xhaka in as the one good passer in our side. He was god-awful today even before the concussion. If you play Ozil centrally I don't see any reason to keep Xhaka in the XI (and I actually thought Ozil was pretty good). Once Guendouzi came in West Ham effectively never had possession of the ball again. So it seems evident that we played close to our best XI except for Guendouzi in place of Xhaka.

I'm not expecting much over the next month because our fixtures are rough, but this performance has convinced me that we could probably stave off a relegation fight with Freddie at the helm, and therefore the need for a new manager is probably not super urgent, especially if it means buying the new manager out of gardening leave like Poch or potentially Ancelotti. Seems to me that the best course of action might be to play it out with Freddie, see how it goes, and spring for one of the German starlet managers in the summer.

thebigman repped this.
  25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Jitty Slitter repped this.