Aron Johannsson in Iceland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how in the world did Max Kruse score 4 goals today?

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Problem solved...[​IMG]

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    IMO nothing is more career-ending than a neuralgia or myalgia. A broken bone can be set, a busted cartilage may heal, a faulty heart can be corrected. Neuralgias and myalgias are when the doctors throw their hands in the air and don't really know what's wrong.

They'll try to fix you with surgeries the way a kid tries to fix a broken toy by moving little parts around. It might work. But even if it does, you never know why it worked. In most cases, though, that's the end of the line. The worst part is not that they end your career, but that you have to live with them until the day you kick it.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you hear about the injury Aaron Hernandez recently suffered?

6. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No joke. That's exactly how it goes. Can literally be deadly, especially if you're a bit older. Lost my grandmother prematurely to it.

HartwickFan and The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article points to Colo and Philly as potential destinations.

If those are his choices due to the allocation system, if I were him I'd go back to Holland. Colo and Philly are train wrecks. Certainly are better situations in MLS for him but don't know if he can force himself thru the rules to get to one.

10. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to see the degree of enthusiasm from MLS clubs. He's played less than 300 minutes this season so not much to gauge his form and fitness.

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More (of the same) . . .

http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/us...n-mls-allocation-order-werder-bremen-transfer

The constant debate between MLS and Europe will continue on forever it seems. There’s no doubt that Johannsson needs a better situation for playing time. There’s also no doubt that MLS clubs value USMNT players more than teams in Europe do. Will he succumb to the temptations of that MLS money? Or will he try to find a better situation for probably less pay and stay in Europe?

It’s a huge summer for the striker as he attempts to find a consistent run of form to regain his national team spot. This decision could very well determine whether or not he has a chance at a World Cup roster spot in 2018.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Scandinavian leagues would be a place to go, too, if MLS is not sounding particularly interested. The quality of the soccer is terrible, and the pay is mediocre at best, but it's a good place to live.

13. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A loan where receiving club splits salary with Bremen seems a way for him to maintain salary, receiving club mitigate risk and Bremen shed some salary and put him on display for a possible transfer fee. Per transfermarkt, his contract goes through June 2019.

Winoman repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which is why a loan to MLS looks attractive for all parties. It was never clear that he was ever BL1 standard (though he could have been, obviously), he's clearly not in the coach's plans - given the transformation since he took over, this coach is going to have a lot of say over squad strategy this summer - and his fitness raises questions.

The problem is the nature of his injury. Neuralia/myalgia is a recurring condition whose reappearance cannot be predicted. Given the amount of travel MLS teams do, and the lousy conditions teams travel in (economy, per MLS mandate), you'd wonder whether a move Stateside would be what the doctor orders for Bacon and whether Bremen would agree to a loan for that reason - unless they're ready to write him off.

To me, his injury suggests move to one of Scandinavia's better clubs: their summer season will get him match fit and if they make it to the Europa League he'll be in a better shop window than MLS. Then he comes back to Bremen to stay physically fit ahead of the transfer window opening in January and Bremen get a better fee. The language issue is an added bonus for Aaron.

p.s.
    splitting the salary is standard in loans, unless it's for a quality - and young - player going for a season or more. In those cases there's a "loan fee" involved so it's more of a temporary transfer than a loan. Otherwise a 50-50 split on the wages has been the norm, unless the player is on the way out. It looks like that's the case, so Bremen might well be willing to absorb a greater percentage than is customary.

Winoman and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  15. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On top of the issues you mentioned, I don't think he's a good fit for MLS - at least the sort of teams that would be in for him. There are only a few teams where I'd see him being a net gain.

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article. He mentions early on that he thinks a lot of his not playing is because he blew that chance against Augsburg in front of goal and they lost the game.

I'll translate the second half because I found it to be most interesting:

There's a bunch of noise about strikers Werder is interested in acquiring. Do you think Nouri even wants to keep you?

I don't know. You should ask him.

Why don't you ask him yourself?

No, not yet. We'll talk after the season. I know that I'm good enough to play here, but I can't show that if I don't get a chance to do so. Look at my statistics. I have a goal and two assists in 267 minutes - basically every 90 minutes involvement with a goal. That's not bad, but the trainer has more confidence in other players at the moment.

Does he have something against you?

I don't believe so. I can't say anything bad about him. He's doing a pretty good job here and earned his new contract. This is just how football plays out sometime. Without me in the line up, things have been going well. I'm quite sure, however, that were I in the lineup things would also be going well.

You also haven't been making the bench lately.

That's been very tough to bear. I work really hard, and consistently came to practice early - even on my days off. I'm giving everything that I have, but I still don't get a chance. I won't give up, because that's not my mentality. I'll also support the team as much as I possibly can. I really hope we can make it into the Europa League.

Supposedly there's some interest from MLS?

I've heard about that, but I'm concentrating fully on Werder until the end of the season. That's also what I've told my agent. If Bremen doesn't want me at the end of the season, then I'll have to leave. No idea where I'd be going, but really I feel I have something to prove here. I don't want to leave a bad impression.

Winoman, sakibomb523, Hobo and 5 others repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Strange question. Makes you wonder if Aronjo was a casualty of the strained USA-Iran relationships, at least in part.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If he went to Atlanta he'd be back near home...

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Reykjavik is in the state of Georgia???o_O

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Contrary to common European belief, Mobile is not in Iceland. ;)

Show Spoiler

PS: I know what you mean. He grew up in Iceland. Funny how since he flopped the Euro media call him just "American" and not "Icelandic" or "Icelandic-American."

22. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yeah but who is he going to replace in that lineup? Villaba? Martinez? First off the bench beating out Kenwyne Jones?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Does Johannsson sound Icelandic to you?

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Sorry, I actually wasn't serious, I was kind of being a tool. But at the end of the day, if he can't beat Kenwyne Jones or similar, he's not going to make it in the B1...

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FYP ;)

freisland repped this.