Aron Jóhannsson in Denmark

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong and thinking too outside the box but it appears AGF has been protecting their "asset". AGF has cemented their place in the table with little wiggle room in front or behind them. They are on a slight skid but it won't put them in the danger zone. Therefore, can afford to limit his minutes and keep him healthy for potential transfer offers or they could be, in a sneaky way, limiting his minutes to not expose weekness which can harm transfer value. AGF are essentially "holding" market value for Jóhannsson. They must be comfortable with the price tag they have created. Of course, I may be way off base with my thinking but it does seem logical.

2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you may not be to far off.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think your both a bit right and wrong... he has been injured of lately, which is mainly why he has not been playing much, but really he could and should have been fit to play the full 90 minutes in AGF's last game, but the coach still chose to limit his minutes, perhaps because AGF also have been very badly struck by injuries in central midfield ( missing 'Superliga player of the month' Casper Sloth, Martin Jørgensen and Hjalte Nørregaard ) and in defense as well, so they have been fielding several young inexperienced players and mainly been trying to defend and "survive" the past 3 games, more than actually trying to win... so it makes sense to keep him healthy and not to damage his market value in games where it would be less likely he was going to score goals anyway.

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It seems that the AGF coach prefer to use Aron and Davit Skhirtladze on top, because they seem to work perfectly together, unfortunately they have both been injured of lately and Skhirtladze is not going to be able to play on this side of the winter break... AGF legendPeter Graulund has recently retired due a spinal disc herniation he suffered a few years back, that had returned to haunt him, so the next option would be Davit Devdariani (who is also injured ) or Søren Larsen (who is a bit rusty, because he has been injured most of this season)... the last option is Mate Vatsadze who is fully fit, but he was signed in the summer and need to adjust tactically before he is of much use in the Superliga, just as it took Aron quite some some time to adjust.... In any case, AGF have been badly struck by injuries as you can see.

If you look closer at the assists top-20 in the Superliga, you will notice that AGF got no less that 4 players in top-12 :

http://www.superstats.dk/maal/assist?aar=2012/2013

....but the main problem at the moment is, that the "spine" of the team has been "broken" so to speak, since the AGF key centre backs, Petri Pasanen and Atle Roar Håland, who are the kind of glue that holds the defense together, are both injured... Arthur Sorin is also very clever playing, but is not really a natural captain in defense and not all that good at heading, but he usually do well when he is paired with Anders Kure who is one of the best headers in the Superliga, unfortunately Kure is also injured and out the next few month, so the AGF defense is badly broken, just as the central midfield, where AGF got two classy play makers Casper Sloth and Martin Jørgensen, the classy box-to-box midfielder Hjalte Nørregaard and also one of the the most talented defensive midfielders in the league Kasper Povlsen. However, Martin Jørgensen has been injured all season, while Povlsen and Hjalte Nørregaard have just returned from injury... The best option in central midfield would be Casper Sloth and Hjalte Nørregaard, but Nørregaard is not fit to play the full 90 minutes, while Casper Sloth also has been injured of lately, which has left us with a more defensive minded Povlsen + a young inexperienced talent, so the central midfield is also broken.... or as I said, the "spine" of the team has been broken, which is why they have been losing 4 of their 5 last games....

Still, Aron now seem fully fit and I believe that at least one of our key centre backs will be able to play in the next game, just as key play maker Casper Sloth will be back. So it is now looking a bit brighter.

beamish, sXeWesley and brandonesque repped this.
  5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just got to say that, at least from an American perspective, Casper Sloth is an awesome name.

6. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's back to scoring again.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    and here you are... a nice shot from around 30 meters :

8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God for the highly visibility ball! :D

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Denmark, goal celebrations are primarily for generating warmth.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Wow! And is that the first goal he's scored this season from outside the box?

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They get longer time to celebrate as well, don't they? They should! Seems fitting.

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Aron is nominated for the Superliga 'goal of the week' award, though he is up against some tough competition from especially FC Nordsjællands Mario Ticinovic ... you may be able to watch the nominees and vote right here ( though I'm not sure if it's blocked outside Denmark) :
    http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Baggrund/2012/12/03/223727.htm

m vann repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can view it in the US, no problem. You are right; that is tough competition!

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the best one is the last one where the ball hits the goal post and you can see the snow falling off the upper net.

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    well.. that is Mario Ticinovic as I mentioned ... he is leading the vote right now, with 45% of the votes, while Aron is second with 38% of the votes... The shared Superliga top scorer Cornelius has 10% of the votes so far... if you are able to watch the video, I'm sure you are able to vote as well.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Don Garber is confused that they didn't postpone the game because of the weather.

18. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aron with another very nice goal in the first half against Silkeborg

stonejh127 and Hobo repped this.
  19. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw during the halftime show of the game. Some nifty footwork in the box.

20. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's his 20th Superliga goal for AGF in the 2012 calendar year

LouisZ, INKRO and stonejh127 repped this.
  21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    and here you are... :

Though as a small bonus, I will also add the last goal of the match, in the last seconds of injury-time by the young AGF and Danish U19 NT centre back Jens Jønsson .. surely worth a watch :

soccersubjectively, Hobo and matt021d repped this.
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty ridiculous goal. But I'm trying to figure out why the second defender just stepped over the ball? I can't believe he had that much momentum that he couldn't get a clearance on it.

23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    It had been snowing and AGF got soil heating, so you should consider that the pitch was very slippery due to the melting snow...

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't realized that. Thanks for pointing it out

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that one of the commentators can only laugh at the goal! Simply brilliant finish. :D