Aron Jóhannsson in Denmark

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    Same here, I'm glad for him and totally not fussed if he goes with Iceland. With these dual nationals it's easy come and easy go until they're captied, unless of course they're wasting our time.

2. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not bothered by his decision, realistically it makes a lot more sense for him to go with the country that he actually grew up in.

Plus I wouldn't want him stealing Terrence's potential playing time ;)

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am not. I'm filled with bitterness. So is Kevin Bacon. ;)

4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I've felt all along that he belongs with Iceland.

5. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he'll pull an Edgar Castillo and lose his passport.

Also the best name in football has been called up, Gunnleifur Gunnleifsson.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These duals have tough choices. More so now days, with national teams calling them up young to try to cap-tie them early.

Still, he grew up in Iceland. But he has to know he'll never play in a WC if he goes. Then again, no guarantee of PT if he goes with the USA. After all, we have one of the top goal scorers in the EPL (Dempsey), a former Mexican league scoring champion (Gomez) and the currently leader in the Eredivisie (Altidore) to contend with for PT. Not to mention the top scorer in the USA (Wondo) and Boyd.

7. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could find himself in a Bunbury situation, even though we all know Aron is a better player than Teal.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great point.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why it's a shame we couldn't bring him in for a friendly. Everyone would have felt better about the decision, rather than him having to go through the one-time switch process to perhaps never get called in.

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I am disappointed he's making the 'safe' choice... but I understand. It's a risk on his part to have tried to paly for the US..... but IMO... he's good enough to contribute maybe even NOW to our NT...

11. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I doubt he sees it as the "safe" choice however, and that's the viewpoint that matters in the end.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think he was a quite disappointed not being called up for Iceland after his excellent hat-trick, especially since their (Swedish) NT coach Lars Lagerbäck called up a former terrible Superliga flop, who now play in the Swedish league, but then the USMNT suddenly came into the picture, and this became a kind of ultimatum. Either Lars Lagerbäck was going to look his way and forget about strikers from the Swedish league, or he would chose to play for the USA if they made the call...

It has never happened before that an Icelandic player is leading the top scorers list in Denmark, and of cause there were no way Lagerbäck would be able to justify calling in a striker from the Swedish league when he had the option of a topscorer from the Danish Superliga.

13. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Out of curiousity, which league is rated higher? I would imagine Denmark... right?

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Aron's only competition was going to be Herc, and Herc is in his last WC run. Jozy and Boyd are different type of players, I guess it would depend on what formation JK will be doing a year or two from now. You have to remember Aron was a forward for the future, he wasn't going to replace any forwards in this qualifiers, if anything, he was going to steal playing time from a out of place LM like Torres.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Denmark is 15th, whereas Sweden is 25th I think. But Denmark is a way tougher league.I can't recall the last time Sweden had a team in the CL.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  16. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Somehow I doubt a well respected and experienced int coach and UEFA technical instructor is conspiring and discriminating against the danish league based on being swedish. I'm sure he's got his own reasons to select the players he likes, but I doubt acting like a child is one of them.

17. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You'd be surprised.....

18. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    I would be surprised if he wasn't a friend of both the Danish NT coach, several people at the Danish FA and several of the danish club coaches.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This made me curious, so I did a quick glance at Wiki's articles on the recent Champions Leagues. The last Swedish team in the group stage was, unless I missed one, AIK in 1999-2000. They had one draw from six and a GD of -12. To give you an idea of how long ago that was in world football terms, Rivaldo was joint top scorer in the competition. Also, the tournament had two group stages, and it was just a year after Sheringham and Solskjaer pulled off a miracle finish for Manchester United.

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I seriously doubt that... I think you underestimate the rivalry that is going on between neighbouring countries, especially since Sweden is the biggest Scandinavian country population wise, so their soccer experts and coaches don't really like the fact that Denmark got a better and much more professional run league...

Besides England of course, Denmark were one of the first nations to embrace soccer, but in a very old fashioned Olympic non-professional way up until the late 70's and mid 80's, while Sweden on the other hand were the first Scandinavian country to leave the old amateur ways behind and turn semi-professional, also using full-time professionals on their NT. So Denmark was one of the leading Olympic football nations in the early 1900's, while they faded away as soon as the sport turned more professional. Sweden on the other hand were great in the 50's to early 80's, because they quickly turned semi-professional.

Then something happened in the mid 80's, when Brøndby was the first Scandinavian team to turn full-time professional. From the 50's and up until then, Sweden had been the leading Scandinavian power in soccer, but the sudden much more professional approach in Denmark turned this around, with Norway and especially Rosenborg following in the Danish footsteps, while Sweden were keeping to their more semi-professional ways. So now it is Denmark leading the way in Scandinavia, while Sweden perhaps is feeling a bit left behind.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  21. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I do not think he is discriminating against the Danish league as such, he is just turning the "blind eye" and prefer the Icelandic players who are doing well in the Swedish league.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I'm sure he would... we don't have to go any further than to the arrogant, but also brilliant Danish NT coach Morten Olsen, who live in Belgium and actually never has set foot in Aarhus, Aalborg or Odense to watch a Superliga match... not even when Aalborg became Danish Champions and were doing well in Europe, or Odense won league silver 3 years in a row, he didn't show up even once. He only watch Superliga games in Copenhagen, either in Brøndby (that he used to coach himself), or in the National stadium Parken, the rest he watch on DVD... He would never set foot in Sweden to watch a Danish player for sure... and if you play in Eastern Europe, like in Russia, you are pretty much out of the Danish NT, because you then completely drop off the NT coach's radar.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if he turns the USA down, he will probably never play in a World Cup. I hope he thinks hard about that fact.

25. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup is a big draw for any player, no question. But if Aron Johannson's heart is with Iceland, you have to respect that choice.

LodiSoccerFan repped this.