Arles

Discussion in 'France' started by SportBoy333, May 19, 2010.

1. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    So they added Avignon to their name because their was no decent stadium in Arles for them to play in therefore they were forced to play in Avignon. Avignon already has a team in the 6th div.(DH) so does that mean they are looking to build a new stadium in Arles and if so will they drop the Avignon from their name ? The stadium in Avignon is less than 8,000 seats and thats not even suitable for L2. How can you have a L1 team and a DH team playing in the same stadium ?

2. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They will make all the necessary to play at Avignon.

3. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arles are offering 10 millions euros for Djibril Cissé ,cisse is wating after the world cup to make his mind up ;) i

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Why wont they build a new stadium in Arles ?

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Fake. Arles president is just looking for 5 minutes of spotlights.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Didn't Istres play it's home games when it was in L1 before they built their new stadium at Martigue's stadium?

7. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No they played in Toulon I think.

8. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    christian audigier (native of Avignon) will invest in the club ,THIS MAN IS A GREAT Business MAN

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Jean-Marc Conrad, président du club de football AC Arles-Avignon, a annoncé le dimanche 30 mai 2010 avoir convaincu Christian Audigier d'entrer dans le capital du club tout juste promu en Ligue 1

http://www.laprovence.com/article/sports-region/football-christian-audigier-pret-a-miser-sur-lac-arles-avignon
    BRANDS UNDER HIM
    Ed Hardy
    Von Dutch
    Smet
    Crystal Rock
    Paco Chicano
    C-Bar-A
    Rock Fabulous
    CA Motoring
    Christian Audigier
    VIF Speedshop
    Garage Parts
    Fiorucci

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    He should invest in Avignon Foot 84 then. His REAL hometown team.:)

10. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    LoL

11. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Are there any other 1st division clubs in the major European leagues with 2 cities in their name ? If not, then another reason they need to go back to just ARLES eventually.

12. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i agree with you sportboy and i understand what your saying its like

Nice Menton FC,
    Dieppe Le Havre FC ?!??!

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They do it in basketball but thats partly because basketball doesnt have the tradition and support that football has. I do not think they do it in rugby either.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feyennoord Rotterdam?

Chievo Verona?

Anderlecht Brussels?

15. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    anderlecht is a part of greatter brussels if i'm not mistaken.

at one point paris and... sedan joined forces to field a D1 team which has everything beat for zaniness.

trying to think where istres played their home matches in L1, sure as holy hell wasn't martigues (despite that being by far the most logical solution). wasn't toulon either. may have played a couple in the vélo, but iirc correctly they played in nimes.

which would have been the logical solution for arles too, but there may be the same querelle de clocher as for istres and martigues... and the identity of the owner may offer an explanation too.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    isn't Sochaux's full name Football Club Sochaux-Montbeliard? It's because Montbeliard is the much larger town where the stadium is, but Sochaux is where the teams history is (and the Peugeot factory). Though, Sochaux and Montbeliard are neigboring cities, Arles and Avignon is a little bit of a trip.

Sitll, I imagine they will just be called Arles, even if the official name is longer.

17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    curiously, watching from a few europort telecasts and occasional looks at L2 news i get the impression the avignon is overshadowing the arles. but if you look at the official team site the impression is they're arlésien, point barre.

but mark my words, neither city, nor even both together will be able to sustain this club in L1, and perhaps not even in L2. and audigier is as big a smokescreen as cissé: i read an article about him (nouvelobs i think); his only claim to apparent wealth and seeming fame is being able to sell hot air. one gets the impression his 15 minutes were really up before they started but the particular part of the universe he inhabits is so superficial and insubstantial that watches there are only for style, not for keeping time.