Arizona State thread

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Drickey, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    ASU remains undefeated after three games this year with a record of 1-0-2. Last week the managed a 1-1 tie against #24 Pepperdine in a contest that gave each team a chance to win but neither could net a second goal. Then the traveled New Mexico and defeated the Lobos 2-1. Although head coach, Ray Leone, said he was pleased with his team's effort I saw that game and think it should have been maybe 4-1 there were shots that ASU missed that should have been made. This afternoon ASU battled the University of Denver in Colorado Springs competing in the Colorado College tournament. I was unable to see this game. If any one out there saw the game I would love to hear your take on the game. The game in a 1-1 draw. From the press release I read it sounds like ASU controlled the ball early and put heavy pressure on the Denver defense. It took just five minutes for ASU to score, but the gave up the lead with just under nine minutes left in the first half. Also the press release said that ASU had a golden opportunity late in the game as the just missed the chance to control the ball right in front of an open net. Sunday ASU will play Southern Methodist in what I will believe will be another tight game. This is a very young ASU team that is still learning how to play as one unit. I believe this is a team that be fun to watch this year and would not be shocked if you saw them in Austin this December. It would surely take some upsets but this is a team that is going to get stronger and stronger as the season goes on.

2. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Dude, you need to worry about getting in the upper half of your conference past the likes of :

UCLA (beat Virginia)
    Stanford (beat Texas A&M)
    Cal (outshot Texas by a lot without Schott)
    USC (beat Penn State)
    Washington (beat Duke)

You did not even beat Denver while these three were playing / winning against the big powers. You should be hoping/praying for a tourney bid. You are a looooooong way from Austin, my friend.

3. pacsoccer

pacsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    ASU

Their stumbling over their own feet in the final third, just not in sync with each other yet. They're there just not finishing it off. This team is young, they will most likely have 6 starting freshman...they'll get it together. But I agree that they need to worry about the teams in the PAC10. That game last night should have been 3-0 for ASU...They need to prove a point tomorrow against SMU...no more ties...they need to win.

4. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Tonight ASU showed just how much they have improved since the begining of the season. ASU had its way with San Diego in the first half and went into half time with a 2-0 lead. In the second half San Diego had some scorng oppurtiunites, but ASU had the best chances and came awfully close to making it a three nothing game on a couple of occasions. This was ASU's second straight shut out and they have improved to 3-1-2 on the year. Sunday they will take on UNLV before they take an important road trip to Athens, GA to play Georgia and Aurburn. ASU though is starting to show signs of the team they can be. There really has not been one game where they haven't improved. You could argue that there was no signs of improvement when they played Denver but they walked away with a 1-1 tie in that game and Denver is a top 25 team ranked 21 in the NSCAA poll. Let's just hope that they won't peak to soon. It is unlikely they will because there are still many things they can clean up. As long as they can clean those things up before conference play starts they will be a team that cn make a lot of noise in they always tough PAC 10!

5. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    Will ASU keeps on rolling. They had an easy game today against UNLV. In a game they should dominate they did just that out shooting UNLV 27-6 and had 11 corner kicks to UNLV's 1. It didn't take long for ASU to score as they went ahead in the tenth minute and just two minutes later they scored again. They would add a third goal in the 46 minute. To go on to the 3-0 victory recording their third straight shutout. ASU is playing like the team I said they would be while others told me I was over stating how good this team was. I just had a feeling about this team and know exactly how this team would improve. I under stood everything coach was doing and knew it would work before the important part of the season, PAC 10 conference play, starts. And know with just three games left before they start their conference play the stand at 4-1-2 with a good chance to return to the top 25 in some of the polls.

6. Drickey

Drickey New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Kansas City
    4 straight shutouts

ASU goes on the road and shows no signs of any problems to happen. This team is red hot right now. In their last four games they have out scored the opponents 8-0. Friday night Georgia was the victim losing 2-0 to the Sundevlis. Freshmen Elizabeth Bogus scored both of the Sundevil goals getting one in each half. The defense which helped this team post positive results in the first half of the early season when the team was still improving as a unit has not given opponents much of a chance to attack as Georgia only had three shots on goal. ASU moves to (5-1-2) on the year with their only lose coming to 21 ranked Denver. Sunday ASU will have an early wake up call to take on a very good Aurburn team.