News: Arguez to leave Hertha

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Osnator, Dec 17, 2009.

1. striker2019

striker2019 Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're all, myself included, probably reluctant to admit that Lascho is more than likely mostly right about Arguez's situation. While he may have been on the books at Hertha, and it's probably true that he may have been better than the few Regionalliga games would indicate, the fact of the matter is that other German clubs aren't going to have much interest. Remember Lee Nguyen was at PSV, was supposedly liked by Hiddink, was capped by the full USMNT, and still had difficulty attracting interest (albeit his athleticism, or lack thereof, played a part). Clearly Arguez doesn't even have Nguyen's CV. He may be able to latch onto another club in a smaller league, especially if he's willing to swallow pride and go on trial at low-mid clubs in leagues like Holland, Belgium, Denmark. However, that's far from certain. As others have mentioned though, he can almost definitely come back to MLS and if he gets his head straight, will have opportunities to play games and get into the USMNT picture in the future.

2. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Not only do I think Lascho's right about Germany, but I think we're over-stating the case for his success in MLS. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's not good enough for even a bad MLS team, especially without the reserve league. He's been a good youth player, but that's no indication of adult success.

The fact that DCU let him go and Hertha picked him up suggests to me that Hertha has more resources to see if he developed, not that he was too good for DCU or DCU missed his obvious potential.

3. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why everybody is so focused on Germany and MLS. Realistically, a move to the first two divisions in countries like Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Holland or France would be feasible, a better situation than being an outcast at Hertha and on a path already tread by other American players in recent years. Arguez is a young, athletic defensive midfielder with a lot of potential which won't cost any transfer fee. Is he in-demand? No way. He might have to show his stuff on trial over the next 1-2 months, but he'll certainly have several options (yes, also including 2.BL, 3.Liga and MLS). It's all up to him.

4. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what team is Bernardo playing for??

i know, that was below the belt, hope VB lands a team soon.

5. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arguez plays as well as he did at the U20 WC, then he is more than good enough for a lot of MLS teams. I don't think its ever been his talent that has been the issue though.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    that was U-20. Tons of great U-20 players can't take the next step. Some do. Remember Dempsey was a sub on his U-20 team.

8. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    U-20 is youth soccer. Playing against adults is another level altogether. For example, Adu's problems aren't because his coaches irrationally hate him; it's because being defended by 28 year olds with 10 years pro experience is different than being defended by 18 year olds.

9. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth players have routinely played well in MLS though. Eddie Gaven may never be a superstar that people wanted him to be, but he has been a very solid MLS player. Chad Marshall has a chance to be on the World Cup squad. Others like Shea, Beltran, and of course Jozy Altidore have done very well in MLS.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree, dax mccarty has really turned it on as well. if Arguez comes back to MLS its fine, if Zizzo comes back to MLS its fine. It makes the quality of our domestic league better. I do prefer the best of our best to try overseas first. Sometimes it doesnt work, guys shouldnt be chided for coming back to our league because they make it more fun to watch.

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. That is where I made the comment before in a thread about all Americans coming back. The league wouldn't magically become a top 10 league, but it would be so much better for marketing.

Guys like Holden, Cooper, Donovan, and McBride have been huge for connecting with the American fan base. When you have guys like Ching, Bocanegra, Howard, Beasley, Arguez, and of course Adu who can connect with minority fan bases, its even better.

We can't act like MLS is one of the best leagues in the world yet, so young players can come back home and make an impact. Otherwise, guys like Bernardo, Nguyen, Davies, etc wouldn't be heading back. Not only that, but domestic players routinely perform better in contrast to playing abroad. It all has to do with their comfort level.

So when someone says "Freddy can't play for a bottom team in Portugal, so why would he be able to play for an MLS team?" it ignores the comfort level of players. It may not be a factor for Freddy, but it was definitely a factor for Donovan and others.

12. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EU rules will always force America to developing their own players in their own home league. For the past 3 World Cups, there has been a strong MLS presence. Its just a nature of the beast. In the end, it really benefits the US to have such a league. It'd be nice to one day field an all-MLS WC squad as England does with the EPL.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The recruitment of the US U-17 players seems to indicate the opposite.
    Howard; Cherundolo, Onyewu, Bocanegra, Spector; Jones, Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley; Altidore.

10 days from now, the number of MLS players on this roster will be exactly zero.

Only if your "one day" fantasy has MLS on the EPL level.

Otherwise, be prepared to relive the 2009 Gold Cup final again and again.

14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, come on.
    A handful of players does not make a pattern. So maaaaybe 4 of these U17s go abroad now, what about the other 40(random number) in the program?
    So you want to ignore Chad Marshall? Robbie Rogers? What about Findley, Cunningham, Beckerman, McCarty, Conrad, Califf, Ching, Wynne, Casey, Pearce, Hejduk, Kljestan, and others who still have a chance to fight for one of the last spots on the roster? What about the fact that its not a given that Bornstein and Holden will go abroad?
    Not necessarily the best league in the world, but no doubt MLS would have to be a top 8 league to be able to do so.
    Dumb statement.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Jesus, look who has served out his sentence, and been released.

16. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to arkjayback again.

17. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I've taken to reading SFS's posts in Sideshow Bob's voice.

I first re-encountered him lurking with intent around Donovan threads.

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Who says that the others are worthy of going?

Yes. I am ignoring them.

They're the epitome of the "last ditch defense".

In other words, if you;re down to Ching, Wynne and McCarthy, you're pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

Bornstein is a liability at the present and Holden is a spot player.

I wouldn't start either of them.

Well, it's dumb if you assume that an average WC opponent is of lower quality than the Mexican B-team that played a largely MLS based US squad in the Gold Cup final.

If not, yours is like 500% dumber.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I got off lightly for murdering a Big Soccer poster.

I said, "Your honor, in my defense, it was Bruce S. Have you read his posts? The guy is obstreperous overflowing with incompetence."

Boom, a slap on the wrist.

Really, more of a tickle.

I'll read yours in Disco Stu's.

20. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Discus Stu has Ouzo for twozo"

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I figured I was more like the Comic Book guy, so Disco Stu is a relative compliment!

22. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per Mr. Goff's tweet:

Interesting development. I wonder who it is.

23. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quite interesting. Love to see how much he'll develop there. Could open more doors for player options if they see him succeed and gets on the nats pool

24. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff's latest tweet

"USA u-20 MF Bryan Arguez, formerly with #dcu and Hertha Berlin, will have training/trial with Flamengo in Brazil, Insider has learned."

25. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah nice... so he'll get to hang with Adriano. Well, hopefully not too much.