News: Arguez to leave Hertha

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Osnator, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Osnator

Osnator Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Osnabrück, Germany
  2. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Clubs homepage as well. No further details so far.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No real shock. The kid does seem to have some promise. He'll be picked up by somebody.

4. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, his U20's performance should gather some interest. Hopefully he is wise and picks a place where he can fight for PT.

5. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players like Holden and Cooper who came from similar situations to MLS were much more finished players than if they had come to the league as first time pros. The Union in particular still need almost an entire midfield.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If I remember correctly, he was on trial at Charleroi in Belgium last off-season. I believe that they liked him, but couldn't work out a deal with Hertha. (Memory may not be right). If he wants to stay in Europe, Charleroi would be as good of a place as any.

7. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that seems to be what i recall as well... writing about it i couldnt remember the team.

9. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    If any MLS teams are smart they would jump all over this opportunity to sign Arguez.

11. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about damn time. Arguez has been on the outs with Hertha since about two months after he joined the club. He's not even playing for the U-23s -- he needs PT. He has one career appearance with two clubs.

It wouldn't be a bad idea, but Arguez may jump at a decent Euro offer if it comes.

12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does DC still have his rights?

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They sold him and got allocation money, which means if he comes back to MLS it'll take an allocation to get him.

Whether any MLS team is willing to spend allocation cash on a guy who appears to have had one good game in two years remains to be seen. DC in particular, with two youngish, competent d-mids already, seem an unlikely destination.

14. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Arguez always already has a suitor. Most 20 year olds will settle in the basement of a club before going out into the big bad Euro wilderness without any interest.

I bet Bryan gets scooped up in the first few days by a BL2 side needing a midfielder.

15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see a BLII club as a destination. His situation is kinda quirky. Hertha dangled him to other clubs., let him trial, and has given the impression that he could leave on a free. But then when a said club has had interested Hertha have asked for a fee or said they would only loan him. That's not be in the new clubs interests and it's killed a deal. It's just kinda strange-----like they value him but not enough to play him. I'm glad Bryan is finally getting a release. THis will allow him to take pick and chose his club assuming he has suitors. But suitors have never been the problem. He impressed me in the U-20 WC, one of a few who did, and I could easily see a BLII, Belgium, Dutch, or Danish club take a flyer on him.

16. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agreed, let's see though because I think he'll get better offers.

17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives reported that they couldn't agree on terms. However, an article I posted in the other Arguez thread back in August claimed that Charleroi thought he had great potential but wasn't ready to contribute to their team. Thus they didn't want to pay a lot for a guy who would be a spot sub at best. (Unlike Belenenses obviously :D)

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636001&highlight=charleroi&page=33

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The German perspective is very different from the US perspective. Nobody cares about his U20 games. He was part of a really crappy team, which got butchered by a Germany C team; maybe from your point of view he was the one-eyed among the blind, from the German point of view it was nothing worth mentioning. He wasn't as disastrous and embarrassing as others, but far from impressing.
    BL2 sides could easily sign a young German. Arguez was measured relatively to other players here at Hertha, considered a failure, and didn't see the field in the 4th-tier Regionalliga; why should any BL2 side get exited about him, when there's a few dozen players of the same age with a much, much better pedigree in German club football? Considered not good enough for Regionalliga, and no future at a future BL2 side Hertha, but other BL2 sides should get exited about him? I really, really doubt that.
    Maybe there will be an almost relegated small club with no money, who gives him a shot as a fringe player without any risks, but he won't get offers from better BL2 sides looking for a starter.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Why? What exactly has he shown?

20. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where in my post did I ever talk about his U20 games? I simply said that a 20 year old doesn't go out on his own into the transfer window without some type of suitor if he's already with a club.

I think you added a bit of someone elses opinion there...

21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    There's just no any other reason to believe there could be a suitor for him. There are maybe 10.000 more or less serious 20 year old football players in Germany; why should Arguez get an offer, except of his NT history? Most of the players with his CV get an offer from a 5th or 6th tier club to get enough money to pay their way through university, and have a nice car. That's it. Hertha produces 20 players a year; there aren't many reasons to believe that Arguez is among the 0-5 to make it in BL1 or BL2. A 20 year old with his CV, who's released by his club in winter like Arguez, is usually called a jobless in Germany, not a prospect.

22. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your implying teams interested are from Germany alone... I'm not sure why your arguing over something that so meaningless. You seem to have completely ignored your first post in which you added some random non-sense opinion that I in no way had.

All I had stated was that Bryan probably had interest from other areas therefore he thought it was time to take break with Hertha. Most of the tie these clubs will try to negotiate lower contracts, because its in their best interest to retain any young player. If you knew Bryan's history with Hertha you'd understand that they have in the past blocked transfers for him to other clubs. So he meant something to them.

You keep bringing up his NT experience like I'm the one perpetuating the argument. And I'm not. Your the one doing so. Have fun having an argument with yourself.

23. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he comes back MLS and finds a team where he can get playing time.

24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

What has half of the players in MLS Shown? nothing.

except being "expieranced" of coarse.;)

25. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States