Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes Gomez isn't of Italian origin and didn't have an italian passport at the time he played for Argentina, he only got Italian citizenship due to his residency, which is different than being of Italian ancestry- while Fazio- his name is Fazio after all- was an Italian citizen when he represented Argentina at Sub 20, so he would be eligible for Italy.

I'm not a big fan, but if the idiot, ass clown Bauza would rather call up Demichelis over Fazio, then we are more lost than I thought. He should at least be in the squad, especially considering the people he is using.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bauza clearly doesn't call the shots.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chile is rumored to be interested in ex-Banfield talent and current Genoa player Thomas Rodríguez. Thomas was born in Chile where his father Leo played for La U. Now, I doubt that Thomas will take a call-up in the near future since he has no connection to Chile other than birth and not to mention his father represented for the seleccion.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think for the most part Sampa has his three GK's for now(Romero, Marchesín, and Guzmán) and a fourth in Rulli. Unfortunately for goalkeepers, you can only play one at a time, it's not like an outfield player where they can get a chance. Armani has had success in Colombia and has won everything you can with Atlético Nacional but will he push Ospina out of the #1 spot?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is the million dollar question.
    Personally I don't think he will. But over the last few months Ospina is getting less and less time at Arsenal (He only plays occasional cup matches and european matches.) and in his last couple of outings he has made some blunders in judgment. Now he is injured and some say he may miss the November friendlies.

Armani has the quality to at least give him a run for his money and not feel complacent. To me he is far and a way more skillful and more of a leader than any of the backup options who are Colombian. Heck, in some ways I like the way he plays better than Ospina. So it would not shock me to see him get the job either if Ospina gets injured or just loses his form due to lack of playing time at Arsenal.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ospina might be untouchable. Managers are very reluctant to change goalkeepers unless you have somebody like Mourinho who sent Iker, a club icon to the bench without hesitation. Chiquito has been riding the bench for the last few years and manager after manager, he's been our #1. Romero, like Ospina, has a blunder in him for every single match and I am not comforable with him as our #1 nor will I ever be, no matter how PK's he stops. I would rather go with a GK that can distribute the ball from goal kicks, not give up rebounds and be comfortable from CK's.

Armani would in all likelihood be an upgrade to an out of form Ospina but again if he becomes eligible will Pekerman be brazen enough to make the call to A, call him up and B to push Ospina to the side and start him as the #1.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It sets up to be interesting because I think Armani is an injury away from starting. Our backups are just not reliable enough to me for Armani not to be guaranteed #2 going into Russia assuming everything goes down in the Naturalization process
    I don;t know if Pekerman being Argentinian helps or hurts his chances, but I assume it only helps him adapt
    We shall see.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are rumors circulating that Italia will be interested in Driussi. Supposedly, both sides are interested. Driussi has an Italian passport and has yet to have played for us on the senior level.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Former Huracan attacking midfielder Alejandro Romero Gamarra (currently at NY Red Bulls) has been called-up for the Paraguayan NT for their friendly next week vs. Japan.

The 23-year-old had previously represented Argentina at the U-20 level (he played the 2015 U20 WC for us), but was eligible for the switch due to having parents of Paraguayan origin.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wonder if he is related to the historic great defender Carlos Gamarra.

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    21-year-old Argentine-born left-back Santiago Arzamendia, who was rumored in recent days to be in Scaloni's consideration for the October friendlies, opts to play for Paraguay

https://www.ole.com.ar/seleccion/sa...tina-paraguay-cerro-porteno_0_2094990486.html

"Siempre me sentí paraguayo por el cariño que la gente me demostró acá y siempre tuve en la cabeza que yo iba a pelear para estar algún día en la selección paraguaya", aseguró a Tigo Sports.

Arzamendia nació en la provincia de Misiones el 5/5/1997 y cuando tenía 13 años (2011) cruzó la frontera para probar suerte en Cerro. Debutó en Primera en 2015, con 17 años, jugando como volante ofensivo por izquierda y con el paso del tiempo fue retrocediendo hasta convertirse en lateral. Y en lo que va de la temporada la está rompiendo: a pura velocidad por la banda, ya jugó 32 partidos en lo que va del 2018 entre campeonato local y la Copa Libertadores y ya convirtió cinco goles.

Gracias a sus buenos rendimientos, Scaloni lo empezó a seguir de cerca mientras que los hinchas de Cerro Porteño le piden que juegue para Paraguay ya que cuenta con la doble nacionalidad.

"Si bien gente de la Selección Argentina habló conmigo, yo hablé con mi familia y todos tenemos la misma respuesta. Yo deseo jugar por la selección de acá (Paraguay)."

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I also heard that he was worried about being capped lock for us. He was hesitant because Scaloni is the caretaker, if he played for us in a friendly under Scaloni , he would be capped lock and if a new manager came and neglected him then he wouldn't be able to play for Paraguay.

Plus, I doubt he would ever start with Nico being the current captain and playing in the same position.

megamac20817 and locoxriver repped this.
  15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tbh I had never heard of the guy until yesterday and there could possibly be a handful of better options, but we could use a good LB even with Tagliafico’s presence. Arzamendia’s numbers show a strong contribution to the attack, which is something we haven’t had since Sorin’s retirement, and his work rate is praised by fans

Still the kid is only 21 and it has yet to be seen if he’s anywhere near NT quality. He lacks experience outside of the Paraguayan league, but I guess he must have some interesting traits if two NTs are already having a look at him.

megamac20817 and SupaMario repped this.
  16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So apprently Mancini is tracking Pussetto and Driussi. Driussi doesn’t even play in the Serie A and yet he’s being tracked( I get it, Mancini worked with him at Zenit but still). :thumbsdown:

locoxriver repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is the Italian national pool really that dry? Both Driussi and Pussetto are very interesting players, but it's beyond pathetic that such a historic side like the Italian NT has to look at players that possess no link to them.

While not peaking as he was before moving to Russia, I think Seba could offer a lot to the NT.. It's not like a few years back, when any good forward had no realistic chance of being called-up regardless of form due to Messi, Aguero, Higuain, Tevez, etc. being some of the best strikers on the planet.

Hell, if even Gio Simeone is being called-up nowadays, I'd say Driussi has a serious chance of playing for the albiceleste if he moves to a better team soon. It would be a shame for him to rule out any possibility of representing us by playing for the tanos, but I'm sure he'll prioritze Argentina and won't be quick to make a decision.

Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  18. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It kinda is. I saw bits and pieces of their last two friendlies. They just squeaked by the U.S. in a stoppage time goal. The days of Baggio, ADP, Totti Vieri and etc. are over for them. They have very mediocre players in their midfield and forwards. Granted, Bernardeschi is crack but I do not see any real talent coming in their ranks.

No wonder they tried to convince Icardi and Dybala to play for them. They should be a bit more prideful than try to poach our young players.

19. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Mauro Icardi could play for Spain also, at first because of his residence there, for sure, he could have Spanish origins.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_Icardi

In April 2012, Icardi received a call-up from Italy under-19 squad to play in the friendly against England, but the player refused to accept the invitation as he wanted to play for Argentina.[132][133] His wish was fulfilled on 26 July where he was summoned by Argentina under-20 coach Marcelo Trobbiani to play in the friendly against Germany,[134] in which he made his debut on 14 August at Commerzbank-Arena, and the L'Alcúdia Tournament, held in Valencia, Spain.

In October 2016, rumours started to speculate in Argentina that Lionel Messi was behind Icardi's exclusion from the national team due to his friendship with Maxi López, his wife's former partner.:D

In May 2018, Icardi was named in Argentina’s preliminary 35-man squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.[149] Later that month, however, he was left out from the final 23, with the coach preferring Cristian Pavón ahead of him.

He won't play for the Argentina until Lionel Messi ends his gaming and coaching career.:)

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dude... Dude... Don't start this again.

And P.S. No, Icardi cannot play for Spain. He's already played in official matches for us.

locoxriver repped this.
  21. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #246 Gilbertsson, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    He can't now play for Spain, but he could earlier. Who knows, if he had great career in Barcelona, Spain would invite him, just like Mariano Pernia, Marcos Sena, Diego Costa.:) But it's not nice to see that Messi dictates everything in the NT. Icardi and Dybala in the attack, Messi and Aguero behind them, with Lo Celso, Di Maria, Banega behind them.

I noticed that several threads here have the names: players with dual citizenships, no mercy at all, just grab whoever has few percent of origins.:D

I had a point in my previous elaborations, I guessed well the potential problems for Argentina. Because I observed the wider picture, not only names on the paper. Mutual relations are the most important fact in every NT. Con esas chicas, Wanda Nara, la rubia, no podemos construir casi nada, solo podemos esperar y perdir lamentablemente.

Icardi is of Italian origin through his paternal ancestors named Icardi from Piedmont and Da Mezan from Venice. He has an Italian passport. He features on the cover of the Italian version of EA Sports' FIFA 16, alongside global cover star and compatriot Lionel Messi.

22. tatoRMN

tatoRMN Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    OMG :cry:

Gilbertsson repped this.
  23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Italy have a really poor team at the moment, they are struggling badly for talent, hence their interest in these 2 players.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Karma for Italy, in the days when they had Roberto Baggio, Gianfranco Zola, Alessandro Del Piero, Alberto Gilardino, they always underutilized them. Now they would kill for a player of their level.

HomietheClown and megamac20817 repped this.
  25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They still managed to win the world cup in 2006 though, but then they had a manager who didn't throw the game against Germany the way Pekerhead did

Chesco United, Burr and Pipiolo repped this.