Argentines who play for other national teams: would they make Argentina's squad?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by argentine soccer fan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I am wondering about players who were born or brought up in Argentina and who are playing for other countries national teams. If they had chosen to play for Argentina, what are their chances of making our national team, and how much do you think they would help us?

I'll start with a couple who come to mind. Maybe somebody else can think of others.

1) Camoranesi, (born in Argentina), playing for Italy.

2) Trezeguet, (born in France of an Argentine father but brought up in Argentina), playing for France.

I think Camoranesi's position is too crowded, he'd probably not even make the list of 23.

Trezeguet might possibly challenge Crespo for the centerforward position. I'd stick with Crespo as a starter but I'd probably want Trezeguet in the squad as well, as a sub.

Thoughts?

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've seen Camoranesi play many times and even though he is part of an incredibly succesful team I can't say he is anything special. Hard working and obviously does a job for Juve but in my humble opinion nothing special. Trezeguet is unusual in that his goal scoring record for Juve is incredible and he in not a penalty taker either. However, whenever he plays for France he looks totally ineffective, so in both cases I don't think Argentina have missed out on much, although Trezeguet would definately make the squad.

Personally I am just very glad Messi did not take up the option of playing for Spain when he was offered a chance to do so. :D

3. soccerfool

soccerfool New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I think argentina has very good squad already. Argentina has the most powerful striker in the world: Crespo. That guy is the best in the world.

4. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, that would have been a potential disaster for Argentina. Messi could very well become the next great one and lead us to great things.

On the other hand, with Spain's luck, I don't think even Messi could have helped them. They took Di Stefano from us, and even he couldn't overcome the bad karma of the Spanish National team.

5. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I also think Trezeguet would have no problem securing a place in our NT. He would be competing with Crespo for the place.

6. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Probably of those you mention maybe Trezeguet, but maybe he isn't "impresindible". Here others.

3- Javier Klimowicz. He's the brother of Diego Klimowicz plays, he's a keeper, he plays for Ecuador.

4- Pablo Mastroeni. He plays for United States.

5- Guillermo Franco. Plays for Mexico.

I heard they wanted Ezequiel Carboni(FC Red Bull Salzburg) to play for Austria, and sometime ago it was rumoured there was an offer from Croatia for Pablo Cvitanich. If i recall correctly there was an argentine playing along the urguayan Quintana for Qatar, and there was an argentine kid playing for Italy's U17. Certainly i don't think any of these would make it.

8. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think any would come close to wearing the blue white;)

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Almost forgot this one.

6- Jonathan Santana. Playing for Paraguay.

Does Leo Fernandez still play for Bolivia, and wasn't there another argentine playing there?

10. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The ones i can think of that were bolivian nationalized in the past 15yrs.... Fernando Ochoaizpur, awsome midfielder for me, I dont think he'd cut it though for Arg. He also played in PUMAS of mexico, Leo Fernandez yes was also a great goalie for us, but he had problems with weight, and drugs as he got i think suspended 1 whole year from the sport by fifa for getting caught smoking pot.

These are the only ones i can think of right now. If i remember anymore i'll be back.

Edit: O yea! Gustavo Quinteros was another great Argentine-bolivian legend that was a great defensive player for us, he was one of the older fellows that helped our young squad make it to the WC in 94.

11. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    I believe that we could use the energy and hard work of a Camoranesi. I think he would fit in better on the right side of Roman better than what we've seen in the past few years.

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    also there is Pablo Osvaldo who decided to play with the Italy U21 side. But he's definitely not good enough to merit a place with Argentina.

14. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure there, Osvaldo seems to have some potential. So to update.

1- Mauro Camoranesi, Italy.
    2- David Trezeguet, France. - I do have my doubts to consider him because he was born in France after all.
    3- Javier Klimowicz, Ecuador.
    4- Pablo Mastroeni, United States.
    5- Guillermo Franco, Mexico.
    6- Jonathan Santana, Paraguay.
    7- Mariano Pernia, Spain. - Just remembered him
    8- Fernando Forestieri, Italy.
    9- Pablo Osvaldo, Italy.

Now considering again the case of Trezeguet, should we consider Claudio Reyna? Because to what i understand he's son of argentine parents, but i don't know if he has ever lived in Argentina.

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some good players on that list (obviously Mauro Camoranesi and David Trezeguet stand out), but no one truly outstanding who, in my opinion, would have made any major difference had they played for Argentina.
    Forestieri is promising, but a long, long way yet from proving himself (the fact that Genoa were prepared to sell him on to Sienna says a lot (although I know Genoa co-own the player with Sienna).

16. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, Osvaldo has potential, but I meant currently he would have no place in the Argentina line-up.

17. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah they co-own him, and it's already being rumored that they will be taking him back after this season. They wanted to send him to a team where he would get playing time.

18. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  19. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just remembered someone else.

10- Roberto Colautti. He plays for Israel i think he has scored some goals playing for them.

20. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    a matias Vouso lo quieren en la sele mejicana
    s,i el de santos laguna!

21. god_mess

god_mess New Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Be honest, for so lots of sad talents who can not be picked into the national team, choosing another country to get second shot for taking part in the world cup is not a bay way.

Personaly I root it.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, but then they win the world cup and we don't and it sucks.

23. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bah, but there's no guarantee that they are going to win the World Cup because they pick another national team, you have examples of Trezeguet and Camoranesi, who weren't vital for their teams when they won the World Cup.

24. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I say good ridence to any Argentinian who turns his back on his nationality. If you can't make it to your own national team than too bad. The only exception is if you immigrated a long time ago when perhaps you were a young child and even then I still don't like it. In fact I don't like much of this whole born somewhere else and playing for somebody else thing at all. Look at France, Germany and many others, I think a rule needs to be put into place that one must have been a citizen of the country for ten years before eligible to play and that national teams can only have coaches and managers from that country.

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Few days ago heard of the confirmation of another one.

11- Sergio Escudero, he will play for Japan in the olympic games, never seen him play apparently he's at Urawa Red Diamonds in Japan. This is not the Sergio Escudero of Argentinos Juniors, although this is cousin of Damian Escudero the kid of Vélez. Weird to me i thought japanese weren't really fond of argentine players.

1- Mauro Camoranesi, Italy.
    2- David Trezeguet, France.
    3- Javier Klimowicz, Ecuador.
    4- Pablo Mastroeni, United States.
    5- Guillermo Franco, Mexico.
    6- Jonathan Santana, Paraguay.
    7- Mariano Pernia, Spain.
    8- Fernando Forestieri, Italy.
    9- Pablo Osvaldo, Italy.
    10- Roberto Colautti, Israel.
    11- Sergio Escudero, Japan.