Argentine Primera US TV Rights

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by danielmak, May 14, 2010.

1. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Re: Argentina Primera US TV Rights

As i've stated before, I have Verizon FIOS, which does NOT have FSC, Fox Soccer Plus, or GolTV in HD. Time warner has them, so i was contemplatnig the switch.

Deciding factor was the recent addition of TYC to the "La Conexion"Spanish package. I decided to wait and see how much futbol Argentino I was going to get to see this "season."

I was impressed with the number of games shown on TyC over the past weekend. Kicking offf with Newell's-Estudiantes on Friday and finishing Monday night with Lanus- Arsenal, i saw bits and pieces of seven AFA games this past weekend, in addition to Primera B games as well. It was fantastic to have all that futbol. But ... the production value is awful. There's really no way around that. Also, the announcers are unfamiliar to me, so perhaps i need to become accustomed to them, but the FSE guys (particulalry Mariano Klos, who I think is one of the best in the business, English or Spanish) are/were a clear notch better. I suppose I've underestimated how important that aspect is to my enjoymnet of a given sports event, but it was difficult to bear on several occasions.

Still, i have AFA futbol. And that is great for the time being.

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Still do not have FSC in HD nor GOL TV in HD, I guess it's LA thing with Time Warner. Do not have TYC either, it has come to watching my games on the net, sucks, but oh well.

3. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys

Brighthouse(Time Warner) cable lineup, select City of Tampa:

http://applications.brighthouse.com/channel-lineups/default.aspx

Note channels 1159, 1160 and 1161.

Perhaps you should call and b1tch at those cats in LA.

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I don't get it man, you know what they do out here? Once a week they will put a game in HD but not even with FSC, they put it on FSW(Which shows the miserable Laker games) which is fine, but that is once a week at the best and it's normally for CL game. I live like 3.5 miles away from a Time Warner office, been there plenty of times because of the DVR freezing up. Every time I tell them I am about to cancel, they give a few free months of HBO/Showtime.

Watching the games on the net, with the poor quality and lag at times, is bad but again, at least I get to see the games.

5. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

TyC Sports (USA) will have all 10 matches of 1ra ... unless there are 2 games at the same time (like this Saturday's late games), when they COULD show the least important game on tape delay.

The announcers are mostly the ones TyC had, who did the ascenso games. They are "whatever" ... even el Ruso Ramenzoni and Gallito kinda suck as they were always "bench side" reporters, and el Ruso did the "B" show.

As to Closs, I like him a lot as he is one of the few announcers with a 360 view of the game, which he incorporates to his narrating. He is even better on La Red than on TV. Many hate him, but the guy knows his rules, the game .. and anticipates what can happen as he "reads" the game as few can.

One thing you can do, if you have a DVR, is to tune to AM del Plata http://www.amdelplata.com/ on internet. They have an excellent team of narrators and commentators, most of them from Fox Sports Argentina. Their main couple for the game of the week is el Pollo Vignolo with Macaya Marquez (the same duo who did el clasico del Domingo on Fox Sports until before the nationalization of argentine footie).

Their internet broadcast is always delayed (on purpose) so you can listen to their live internet radio audio while you watch the "tivoed" picture. (a few seconds delay ... pause the pic and sync with ease). ALL OTHER internet radios from Argentina will be ahead of the TV broadcast, as TyC Sports delays their feed, and the radios have let 'the turtle escape" by not delaying a bit their internet broadcasts.

As far as I have found on ANY internet page, the international rights for Argentine football belong to Torneos y Competencias until 2014. It is Torneos who will decide to sell the Superclasico to a network, not AFA ... or keep it for their TyC Sports int'l channel. Last semester, the rights to the Clasico del Domingo game were still on Fox Sports Español hands, even thou the morons had no intention to use the games. Mid into last semester, TyC Sports was able to regain control of that 1st choice game ... but missed the SUperclasico.

It is only Fox Sports USA's fault to not have Argentine footie anymore. ALL over the Americas, Fox Sports regional channels show either 1 or 2 games, depending on the region.

6. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm torn on Closs... he is not very objective, but i certainly like him more than Niembro... Closs on La Red seems to have turned his entire focus to just throwing bad milk at Passarella... while some of it is merited, at times you can see right through him and see his real agenda against DAP

I do listen to his radio show and if you have an iphone you can download the la red app or just go to their website and listen to the primera games... i can't seem to get amdelplata to work here but the iphone app of la red always has a perfect sound/stream

7. noblet10

noblet10 New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

This has to be the worst move that Fox Soccer has done in many years. They dropped the Argentine league, and now all that is on during summer sundays is the Women's league. I'm not dissing the women's league. I have several friends who play in it, so I enjoy watching them. Argentina had the best football of any league shown on FoxSoccer, so it really is depressing that they chose to drop it. For the English channel it must come down to too many dumb American fans who could care less about pro soccer unless it's English or Champions League. I've never had Fox Deportes, but at least the have Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana so I can at least see some of the Argentine teams. If I could afford it, I would get TYC. It's the best football style to watch in the world to me. At least GolTV still has Brazil and Colombia to give me some good South American football. FSC is left behind banking on the dumb Premier League is the only league that matters mentality.

8. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

I'm wondering if anyone is running into this same problem that I am.

I am a TYC Sports subscriber through Verizon Fios in New York. I have a major problem with the listings on the guide. They are always wrong. For example, right now Quilmes & Gimnasia are playing late in the 2nd half. But in the guide,
    it lists Olimpo vs Huracan from 2:00 PM to 4:10. This has been happening ever since I got TYC at the start of the campaign and frustrates the hell out of me because when I set my DVR to record the Boca games, it messes it up.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I want to know who to call to yell at, whether it's TYC or Fios.

9. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

just look the fixture times up on Ole or the AFA website... then subtract an hour for EST... the Huracan vs. Olimpo game started at 4 PM in Buenos Aires, so 3 PM here on the East Coast... The next game Tigre vs. Colon kicks off at 5:20 EST then Arsenal vs. Racing at 7:20 EST

It may be a pain to DVR your games, but if you check the official AFA fixture list, you will know what times to record, even if you guide is wrong, though i understand your anger at TYC

10. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

The schedule for Tyc was always way off on DirecTV but they eventually fixed it. I'd Call Fios.

11. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

That's what I'll do. Thanks.

12. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

TyC Sports has NOT updated the telecast schedule for TyC Sports USA (or Latin America ex-Argentina) for the weekend of May 14-15 as of May 9.

The two matches that were picked by ESPN+ Andina/ESPN+ Uruguay-Paraguay/ESPN DOS and FOX Sports Latin America/FOX Sports+ are Racing vs Newell's and Boca vs River.

As many of you may recall, TyC Sports USA did not carry those two matches during the 2010 Apertura, presumably because the AFA wanted too much money for the U.S. rights.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Is that two separate channels or one in the same? We have Fox Soccer Plus here (USA) but it doesn't list the Superclasico.

14. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

FOX Sports+ Latin America is NOT the same as FOX Soccer Plus (USA).

FOX Sports Int'l gave up the U.S. rights to the AFA Primera Division last August.

TyC Sports USA started airing the "1st and 2nd picks" last October, but did NOT air Newell's vs Racing or River vs Boca during the Apertura, presumably because the AFA wanted too much money for the U.S. TV rights.

TyC Sports USA has less than 1 million subscribers via DIRECTV and Verizon FiOS.

15. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007

Subtract 1 hour from Buenos Aires time to get U.S. Eastern DAYLIGHT Time (2nd Sunday in March through the Saturday preceding the 1st Sunday in November.)

Subtract 2 hours from Buenos Aires time to get U.S. Eastern STANDARD Time (1st Sunday in November through the Saturday preceding the 2nd Sunday in March.)

Argentina is usually on standard time all year unless there is an energy shortage.

The guide on FiOS may be off by 1 hour.

16. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
  17. Siempre_Albiceleste

May 31, 2006
    NY
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors

I know about the time difference and would have no problem adjusting for that. My problem is that the DVR works based on the listing in the guide. It will record a program based on the start and end times listed. It's not like I can choose to record a specific block of time. So when the listing is wrong, it messes up the recording completely.

What pissed me off the most is one Sunday when I set it to record 2 straight games, thinking that I would get the 1st half on one recording and the 2nd half on the other. Somehow, I only ended up with one half.

Anyway, I'm waiting for Fios to respond to my email.

Thanls.

18. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys

Actually, you can increase a recording time. If you go to the scheduled recordings on your DVR list, you can stretch that time.

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Hey guys, whatever happened to vipnerd? I think this is her last post back in February.

20. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    GOLTV (U.S.) adds Futbol Argentino - Boca and River matches

GOLTV (U.S.) has added Futbol Argentino to its programming lineup. Matches involving Boca Juniors and River Plate (2nd division) will air this weekend:

Saturday 6pm ET (SDD) - 2nd Division - River Plate vs Rosario Central

Sunday 5pm ET LIVE - Godoy Cruz vs Boca Juniors

Because Boca leads Racing by 8 points with 4 matches left to play in the Torneo Apertura, Boca should be able to wrap up the title by next weekend.

21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: GOLTV (U.S.) adds Futbol Argentino - Boca and River matches

Great news!

22. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Anymore details?

Is it Primera + River matches? Good news.

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great NEWS!!!!! Finally we've had to suffer through WAY too much online streams these last years

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great news indeed, really excited about this. Time to add GolTv to my programs.

25. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Is this permanent or temporary?