Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Quick thoughts:

- great to come back twice
    - Again, I don't feel confident about our CBs, especially Pezzella
    - De Paul's worst game in a Argentina shirt
    - If only Saravia could cross/pass... those runs, what the heck
    - I'd play both Huevo Acuña and Ocampos when the Eliminatorias starts
    - Lautaro up front with Messi.
    - Kun and Dybala on the bench

2. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Lautaro should be a starter, period. The fight and talent he brings is unique — soon becoming my favorite or 2nd favorite player.

Saravia was also good.

Uruguay is always one of those teams that you feel that they’re down and out, and being outplayed — but then they’re ahead. And you’re left wondering how.

They’re also one of the most frustrating teams to play against for the opponents — we moved the ball well, side to side, tried taking long shots, everything.

Very hopeful for our team for the future. We have some good depth, too.

Dybala was hooked, but was very active. His one pass to find Messi in the first half was beautiful.

The fight we have nowadays is like the late 80’s and early 90’s....the complete credit goes to Scaloni for that...he has re-instilled that typical Argentine grit.

cigar_city repped this.
  3. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I don't think you can blame him for not stopping Cavani at point blank but maybe he could have done better for the Fk. Still his long range passing is very good that's one thing I like.

4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Messi directly looked at and nodded to Aguero for the free kick for Aguero’s goal.

1196530841024901121 is not a valid tweet id

Also, these turns (this is what Thiago Silva was saying when he was saying Messi looks for fouls ):

Messi didn’t really have the greatest of games this break — but we have an identity and a team now.

Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anybody else get a bit anxious when Messi takes a penalty? That was another bad penalty, had Campaña guessed the right way, it would’ve been an easy save.

6. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the highlights but I agree that penalty wasn't exactly inspiring.

7. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It was evident Messi deceived Campaña by changing the shoot at the very last moment. Watch it again from the camera behind Messi.

Besides this, yeah, Paredes and Aguero are better PK takers.

SupaMario repped this.
  8. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Maradona was a way better penalty taker than Messi, but Maradona loved these slow rollers too.

But Messi is a pretty poor penalty taker. I always worry whenever he is about to take one.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona missed in WC quarter final againts Yugoslavia by shoot it that way, but he repeated the same exact penalty against Italy against best goalie at the time , yet it worked.

Messi just pulled similar stun. Its not the best way to take penalies , in fact I always hates it but I think that just how he prefer it. He wont blast it hard like Batistuta did all the time.

Messi scored his 2 penalties that way in U20 final , he scored his penalty in WC 2014 & he took 5 or 6 penalties in all Copa he played and only missed once. He scored many penalties aswell in qualifier, I dont remember him missing except maybe once?

afar, Albiceleste2010 and SupaMario repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro is being closely linked to FCB and now Man City are interested in him as well to replace Kun.

AC Milan are also interested in Gaich and are willing to offer 10ME for his services. Milan are a dumpster fire, stay away...

afar and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I saw that but I think both players were playing chicken. Messi has always improved on his game but for some reason it just is problematic for him to pick a top corner or the inside of the side netting, which both are basically impossible to save. The one time he tried to power it in, he missed it v Chile, which would’ve given us the lead in the PK shootout.

afar repped this.
  12. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Stupid decision despite the results. He has taken that team from being no hopers to a CL final and consistent top four finishes. This despite spending far less than any of the other teams around them. He has also improved the young players and England has benefited. The issue is with the players and the owner who refuse to spend big despite the Lo Celso Ndombele signings. The greed of players means the wages they want are not what they expect at Tottenham so they have thrown their toys out of the pram and are playing below par plus the in the bedroom antics of Vertonghen.

The immediate concern for us is how this impacts Lo Celso and Foyth. Gazzaniga will remain in goal.

Rattlehead, soul24rage, Burr and 3 others repped this.
  14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #8989 SupaMario, Nov 19, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Yes. That was was expected since they continued to falter throughout this season. Kinda feel bad for him, the owners never invested into the team, and last year, they didn’t even bring in new players. I’m sure United with their bankroll will go after him. Also, I wonder what happens to our boys at Tottenham...

15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Missed the Brazil game due to work commitments. Managed to watch the derby last night.

Deserved a win. Created the better chances. What is noticeable over the last few months compared to the horror show in 2018 is the energy and dynamism and the grit such as blocking the ball, defending en masse and better work rate.

Perhaps this was what Sampaoli envisaged all along. This comes from a younger core. As it stands watching from the sidelines we need to find another right back and left back as reserves and blood the new young centrebacks namely Romero, Balerdi, Quarta.

Andradas distribution is superb but the second goal was avoidable. I would prefer to see Musso, Benitez and Gazzaniga in the role. Musso has very good distribution too.

Paredes still does not convince me. He missed a couple of tackles, committed needless fouls being caught out of position and crucially he goes sideways too much. Understandable when there are no options but several times with either Tagliafico or Saravia free he cut inside or slowed down the tempo. He needs to be more decisive and quicker and we too can do with the ball into feet and across the box more quickly as well.

Kun thrives on it as he showed with the free kick. While the trio clicked sometimes I would prefer Dybala off for Messi and another attacking midfielder in there. Lautaro is coming on leaps and bounds and provides a very warm reassuring feeling we have another potentially world class striker in the making with Alario as another target option. We need multiple options going forward to crack several tactical nuts.

de Paul faded last night and should have come off earlier. More fatigue than anything else. Nicolas should be captain. Great defence as usual and when allowed he can show he is dangerous going forward.

Saravia over Foyth. For me watching Foyth he needs to slot into DM. At CB he has more coverage should he make an error. One mistake at RB and the flank is exposed and the box open to attack. He is immensely talented but for me DM is where he needs to play almost like a libero. Lisandro Martinez also needs to be found a spot either here or at CB or as a third CB should we ever resort to this and play the spare role in midfield when required.

Saravia showed what he is capable of attacking the box including a lovely run at last to the byeline which created a great chance.

We also played with some lovely skill touches obviously led by Messi but other players were not afraid to show their ability on the ball.

And as for Nico Gonzalez he has spirit aplenty. He will rein it in time and has immense ability. He is reminiscent of a young di Maria at times. The selections have been excellent aside from Scalonis current reluctance to change the CBs to younger options which we must very soon.

The coaching team in Samuel, Ayala and Aimar deserve congratuations for restoring pride in the shirt. We are on a definite upward curve again. And hopefully can cap it with a win next year at the Copa.

afar and SupaMario repped this.
  16. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Otamendi was hauled down by the neck in the area. No penalty. A similar offence from Pezzella outside the box results in a free kick. Okay it is a friendly but referees need to be consistent.

afar repped this.
  17. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Why does Saravia have 0 games played for Porto?

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He doesn't... he has been playing regularly in the league (started in 8 of 11 FCP domestic games) and also participated in their Champions League match-up (in which they were surprisingly eliminated by Krasnodar before the group stage).

He was, however, separated from the first team recently (along with fellow Argentine national Marchesin) after being caught partying past the club's curfew the night before a league match. I don't think he'll suffer any severe consequences from that, but it did make him lose a game or two.

DTCrackheads and soul24rage repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He scored his penalty against Chile in 2015 but our fav player missed. Even in 2016, Chile already missed before Messi did...yet we still lost ... and that basically sum up Argentina's luck in last 25 years.

afar repped this.
  20. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    2 of our 3 goals came from penalties. Messi's penalty in the Brazil game was mostly a dive.

Isn't it fun how we get these calls to go for us in friendly games, but in the big games we can't get shit (see Copa semi-final). We knock it around the opponents box all game and rarely get rewarded like this.

Even going back to WC2018 against France, the ball took a deflection off Umtiti's arm in the box that I can't believe didn't get any controversy.

Rattlehead repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The penalty call against Uruguay was too legit and clear . We got soft penalty against Paraguay in recent Copa to be fair. However, Argentina playing against Brazil in Brazil, obviously you aint going to get the call. I already expected this from the start , just like I expected we will have better chances but couldnt put it away, typical Argentina.

22. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Jose Mourinho has been appointed as Tottenham Hotspurs manager. My immediate thoughts on how this will impact the Argentinians:

Gazzaniga: Mourinho prefers tall goalkeepers, at Madrid he benched club legend Casillas for Lopez. He will have no problem with benching Lloris. It’s rumoured that the only reason he Lloris wasn’t benched despite his poor form for over a year now was because of his close friendship with Poch.

Foyth: could become either a right-back or centreback, I’m not sure about this one. Foyth isn’t that great defensively but he is great on the ball. I think RB is a serious possibility as their current right-back Aurier is quite terrible. Foyth could become another Ivanovic.

Lo Celso: this one is the biggest mystery for me and also my biggest worry. JM is very hit and miss with creative playmakers. He sold Mata within 6 months of joining Chelsea - yet Mesut Ozil played by far the best football of his career under Mourinho. The good news is that Gio works hard and tracks back, JM will love that.

Lamela: same thoughts as about Lo Celso, albeit he’s not as talented

Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  23. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Foyth and Lo Celso subs in Mourinho's first game in charge of Tottenham

Juve, without CR7, beat Atalanta 3-1 thanks to two goals by Pipita and one by Dybala

Armani, Montiel, Martinez Quarta, Nacho Fernandez, Palacios, and the rest of the River Plate players in the national pool will be playing the Libertadores final in just a few hours.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gazzaniga the only one to play in Mourinho's first game.