Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rattlehead repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala & Lautaro has been doing well his season.

Its obvious that Icardi moving to PSG has been an adventage for Lautaro.

SupaMario repped this.
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Icardi with another CL goal.
    Lo Celso got a goal, a bit of a bizarre sequence though; but I read he played very well, as did Foyth. Happy to see.

Rattlehead repped this.
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That sequence prior to Lo Celso's goal is one of those moment that will be included on most "funny video compilation"

SupaMario repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    U17 eliminated from the WC in R16 :thumbsdown:

After finishing the group stage undefeated (2 wins, 1 draw; +4 GD), the boys seemed on the right path going up 2-0 in the first half vs. Paraguay. However, the Paraguayans found 3 goals in the second half (including one 4 minutes from the final whistle) to leave Argentina without a QF spot. Just months ago Argentina had beaten the same team 3-0 in the U17 Sudamericano tournament.

Didn't see the game, but the numbers show Argentina dominating possession and having the same amount of chances as the victors. I wonder if they got too confident and stood back in the second half? Anyone watch the match? @Albiceleste2010 @SupaMario ??

megamac20817 and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  6. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I watched.
    It's really difficult to explain how they lost. Paraguay basically had only one type of play (long ball to the forwards hoping to catch our defenders off-guard in a counter) and somehow it was ridiculously effective. Wasn't the best match of our CBs. Also our 9 Godoy missed 4 mano a mano with the Paraguay goalie.

It's a pity because I have the feeling that Argentina lost to a very inferior team just due to being too complacent.

Albiceleste2010, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cant even find any streaming for this tournament and I was able to find streaming for Cotif tournament :whistling:, hopefully they will do well at u20 level. Argentina actually has much bigger history at u20 & u23 level, so I wouldnt write these kids out.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I skipped these much games. From what I read and saw from the extended highlights, that there is plenty of talent coming from this generation. Aimar has them playing a high pressure game with nice passing and strong teamwork. Palacios is apparently a real gem, someone who many say can probably have a great future if he continues to develop.

It is always disappointing to lose to an inferior side. But perhaps the kids thought they were better than they actually were and let Paraguay back in it and eventually lost. After Paraguay tied up the score, the entire team looked deflated. The third goal, which was a great goal from Paraguay but the defending was amateur hour but again, some of these kids will disappear like dust in the wind and we’ll probably never hear from them again.

Perhaps, it is on Aimar who didn’t mentally prepare his side but again, these are still boys, who are still 15-16 year olds and we all remember being that old and we weren’t exactly mature or prepared for advisory. By the way, it looked like a couple of these kids had half sleeve tattoos, which I just had to at them. You know when you think back at certain things you almost did at that age, and now think back, boy, I’m glad I didn’t do that, I was a dumb little kid...

But regardless, I hope Aimar does not get the boot because I like the direction we are going. We need continuity from the ground up. It is a good project and for all the problems the AFA has and the idiocy they employ, the gradual rebuilding of the youth team has been a pleasant surprise. It just has been mental problems that led us down in the U20s and U17s but that can be fixed.

Albiceleste2010 and locoxriver repped this.
  9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That age group is hard to put too much weight on. It's much easier to win on sheer athleticism or physicality at that level. More important to look at potential than results.

10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dear Loco I managed to miss the match. I thought it was after the Norwich Watford game and I was only alerted to the fact it had been played the night before when on Youtube checking NHL highlights to see the horrific scoreline.

Normally I am not too bothered especially at this age level to lose but somehow this made me rather cross and angry and upset.

The reason is this team are a class above Paraguay and having watched a torrent of the game they should at 2-0 have thumped them out of sight. Complacency set in and they lost their nerve at 2-1 up.

They have been superb to watch and the technique they show is a throwback to how our juniors should play. Granted out of the u17 maybe three or four will progress to the full seleccion but with this group that number may well be higher. The u20 is a better marker for who comes through (size and speed ofte produce results at this age level that are never reflected in the seniors, a look at the winners of the u17 shows that) but Aimar and Placente did a great job. They played futbol Argentino. Both should be allowed to continue their u15 and u17 project.

Nonetheless it is disappointing to see a team which is a mile above anything Paraguay can offer and one of the best three teams in the tourney has lost. Paraguay will remain mediocrities at the senior level. They are a crude footballing team and they can look forward to endless derbies of Cerro Porteno and Libertad fighting each other as the height of their success.

As for the Watford game Bobby P looked like he had a hamstring strain which will probably rule him out of the international friendlies. Messi as per usual is becoming the best free kick taker in the world. Two more against Celta. I would say he is a on a par with Maradona now in that department as well. Simply put kids like Almada, Palacios need to follow the fleas example in how to turn weak points into strengths. Even for the greatest practice makes perfect.

locoxriver, Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #8887 Albiceleste2010, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    It has been great to see Lautaro grow. That is what you need to see in a young player. The ability to improve their decision making. His work rate is exemplary and so is his self belief but also his desire to improve. Conte has been a great coach for him much as Allegri and Sarri have been poor for Dybala.

I hope he becomes a figurehead for the club like Kun is at City. Going to the hothouse of Barcelona right now is not ideal. Too many politics. I would stick with Alario over Icardi as well. Ligue Une is simply not a good indicator of scoring prowess. Not to mention all the baggage that comes along with it.

--------------------------------------------Musso--------------------------------------------
    Saravia-----------------Romero--------------------Quarta----------------Tagliafico(c)
    ---------------------------------------Dominguez------------------------------------------
    -------------------------Palacios---------------------Lo Celso---------------------------
    ----------de Paul-------------------------Messi-------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------Aguero--------------------------------------------

Subs:
    GK Gazzaniga, Benitez
    D: Acuna, Lisandro Martinez. Balerdi, Foyth,
    M: Asascibar, Vargas, Ocampos
    F: Alario, Lautaro Martinez, Dybala

Burr, SupaMario and Rattlehead repped this.
  13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rojo is also ruled out.

14. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Is this your ideal XI?

Care to explain how you pick Agüero over Lautaro and Saravia as a starter?

IMO Lautaro can never be benched, he is the only one that presses. Agüero and Messi are useless without the ball.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great goal by Dybala. Even with his right foot...

1193640832189915136 is not a valid tweet id

soul24rage repped this.
  16. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    This season so far Dybala is outshining Ronaldo by a margin....actually outshining everyone at Juve.

Wonderful to see.

Rattlehead, SupaMario and soul24rage repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dybala started the match from the bench, again. Granted, his last couple of games were stinkers but if Dybala is given the freedom to play at his desired position he is class.

Lautaro was pretty bad yesterday. He was selfish and tried far too much. He is still a young kid, I just hope he fixes this aspect of his game.

Tucu Correa had 2 goals for Lazio.

Musso saved Udi’s asses when he saved a 90+ minute penalty.

I’m pretty psyched for our upcoming friendlies. Over the last few years I had become so disenchanted by the seleccion,‘I even missed a couple qualifiers, which was never a thing for me. Now, I look forward to our friendlies, especially these two, who are our biggest rivals.

soul24rage repped this.
  18. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It just sucks that the Copa Libertadores final is happening very soon as I would have loved to see Scaloni's starting XI before the March WCQs.

I think we'll probably see something like this vs Brazil and Uruguay

---------------Marchesin
    Foyth---Pezzella---Otamendi---Tagliafico
    -----------------Paredes
    --------De Paul---------Acuna
    -----------------Messi
    ---Dybala/Aguero-----L. Martinez

SupaMario repped this.
  19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not exactly a NT player (although he was part of the U-20 NT side that won the 2005 WC; Messi's generation), but Argentina CB David Abraham is making headlines for this action in the Bundesliga vs. a rival coach

SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That coach knew what he was doing, that slight movement into Abraham's direction. But comedic gold, he went down like the Berlin Wall.

locoxriver repped this.
  21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Musso with a 98th minute heroic PK save in Serie A

Gio Simeone was also on the mark in Italy, scoring a nice backheel goal vs. Fiorentina (the owners of his transfer). Not long ago he scored a decent chip goal. Seems he's getting a knack for scoring aesthetically pleasing goals.

Joaquin Correa netted two goals in Lazio's 4-2 victory. The former Sevilla player is ratifying his great moment, coming from scoring the game winner vs. Milan just last week.

Martinez Quarta was in poor form for River today, committing a few immature mistakes (including one that lead to the goal that meant the team's loss).

Lisandro Martinez scored for Ajax, as did Angel Correa in Atletico's 3-1 win over Espanyol.

Marchesin and Saravia, our two FC Porto NT players, have been excluded from this weekend's league match after partying past the club's curfew the night before their game.

Lastly........ Pipita Higuain has been chosen as Juventus's MVP of the month. I must say he has been performing quite well.

SupaMario repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro way of playing at times would still shows his age, but I still think he could top 20 goals by the end of the season.

In defense of Icardi, he has been serie A top scorer twice and he has scored 14 goals at European level in just 25 matches . Even this season half of his goal tally was from CL (4 goals in 4 games), so at least the CL games could keep him playing at top level. No doubt farmer's league is too easy though, Di Maria has been as good as Messi this season there.

SupaMario repped this.
  23. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Ocampos has also been doing really well with Sevilla. He was great against Germany too.

24. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Yeah, don’t know about this...

25. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, its funny that Messi expression actually represent our opinion.