Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    That would be a perfect move for Gio.

-Argentine coach.
    -Top class UCL team.
    -Doesn't have too many world class players in attacking midfield that could bench him.
    -Strongest league in the world.

SupaMario, Burr and Milan05 repped this.
  2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi scored but Barcelona with another embarrassing performance in the Copa del Rey final, losing 2-1 to Valencia.

SupaMario repped this.
  3. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Been watching Lo Celso a bit this season, especially against the bigger sides, in the Europa, and some matches against mid level sides. He's been incredible. But I have to say I'm surprised to see him as a central midfielder in most people's line ups and even more surprisingly in a midfield two. Most of the times I've watched Betis this season, Setien had him as the 2nd most forward oriented player, a support striker if you will. With freedom to roam. At times him and Canales have played off a striker, but even then Lo Celso was more of the forward, and Canales more of the attacking midfielder (you can see that in their number of touches, and passes too). Their central midfielders are William Carvalho and Guardado. At the start of the season Lo Celso was the 3rd midfielder, but I have a feeling Setien moved him forward for a reason.

More realistic IMO is

--------------Aguero----Messi
    -------------------Lo Celso
    --------Pereyra---Guido---Paredes

or

--------------------Aguero
    ----Di Maria-----Messi-----Lo Celso
    --------------Guido---Paredes

Something of the sort where Di Maria is the outlet but Lo Celso has greater freedom to roam and respond to Messi's movements.

4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I feel that Setien's decision was because he seems like the only guy that is capable of scoring in that stupid Betis team. So he wanted him as close as possible to the goal.

Those formations that have him with Paredes alone are silly, I know. It just seems like an idea that our national coach has for some reason... I think however that the bad result in the last friendly will make him play with a 4-3-3 at the Copa. Seems like Guido Rodríguez or Palacios will be added there.

5. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Any midfield with Paredes and Lo Celso will be very vulnerable defensively unless the third midfielder is an absolute tank, someone like Arturo Vidal.

Is Palacios that kind of player, or Guido? Who’s more suited to being the third midfielder?

Edhardy and afar repped this.
  6. DTCrackheads

DTCrackheads Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Mar 9, 2019
    Guido can be a true destroyer. Palacios not so much.

I agree, Lo Celso should be in more of a CAM position.

Put Guido, Paredes, and Pereyra (or Palacios) behind him to form a solid but creative wall in front of the back 4.

This leaves no room for Di Maria.

argentine soccer fan and Edhardy repped this.
  7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nobody talks about the u20... they won 5-2 , scored some brilliant goals I love seeing their determination, chasing & winning the ball that could have been out for GK or throw in. We showed some really great finishing aswell.

The goalie made clumsy mistake that led to South Africa first goal and they ctually down to 10 men after we led 2-1. Nevertheless, the next 2 games arguably will more testing but 3 points and +3 goal difference is solid start.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi has been relentless this season but Barca needs an overhaul ... or Messi should just leave at this point of his career.

Edhardy repped this.
  9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    there's another thread solely dedicated to the u-20 :)

Rattlehead repped this.
  10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    oh sorry, not aware of that since I mostly browse on mobilephone and only open through bookmarked pages...:D

soul24rage repped this.
  11. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    CL 18/19 goals: Messi - 12
    Dembele + Coutinho + Suarez+ Malcom - 8

La Liga: Messi - 36
    Dembele + Coutinho + Suarez+ Malcom - 35

One man team.

Also read a stat that says that Messi has scored or assisted 78% of Barca goals under Valverde!

78%!!!!!!! Not sure if true, but I don’t think this high a percentage has ever existed before for any team over the course of 2 years.

That is insane. It is not the coaching that has got Barca two Liga’s and a Copa, and within a whisker of the CL Final.

It is primarily one man’s efforts.

Burr, Edhardy and Rattlehead repped this.
  12. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    In my opinion Guido has to play. You need to have one destroyer in midfield, otherwise you get killed on counterattacks. Venezuela beat us 3-1 in the last friendly because a double pivot of Lo Celso and Paredes is too vulnerable without protection.

Aguero - Messi
    Di Maria
    Palacios - Guido - Lo Celso​

Aguero - Messi
    Lo Celso
    Palacios - Guido - Paredes​

Either works

13. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Alright, that could be right. I just noticed as the season wore on and the stakes got higher, he was moved up the field - to great effect too.

14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Regarding the Copa selection I am disappointed by losing Kannemann. Romero should be in there on form ahead of Mercado. And not out and out DM. Asascibar despite his recent disiplinary incident which was disgusting should be in there. I don't trust Paredes one bit.

The rest of the selection is fine but the keepers ? Musso and Benitez should be there. We could well get stung with Scaloni's choices. Lo Celso can play anywhere in midfield but he should be in the centre directing operations allowing Messi to be in the area where he can kill teams off with Kun.

As a club we are being linked with Pavon. Not too sure about this. We may sell Deulofeu to buy him but he has been underwhelming recently. Bobby P may also be on his way. Scored a few crackers this season and well worth his call up.

Unfortunately the PL is becoming like other leagues in Europe a joke competition wise. Abu Dhabi fielding £230M of substitutes and not even playing Aguero. It would be nice to see de Paul who should be the starter on the left with di Maria an impact sub (especially given his fitness record) and Gio at Tottenham. Lamela once again has flattered to deceive.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Icardi missed a crucial penalty that could’ve cost Inter huge. What an absolutely amazing match though. But it does appear Icardi is done at Inter. Wherever he goes, he better get his shit together.

16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mercado wasn’t called up

17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Some NT news

Training starts today

GK
    -Armani and Andrada have clubs commitments so the only GK in training is Marchesin

DF
    -Yesterday, Pezzella played in a Serie A match which is very good news in regards to his injury.
    - Otamendi, Funes Mori, Tagliafico and Casco (available since he’s suspended from the next River’s game) are available for training
    -Foyth, and Acuña have club commitments and Saravia has personal issues so those 3 won’t be training soon.

MF
    -G. Rodríguez, Di María, Paredes, Pereyra, Lo Celso and De Paul are available for training
    -only Palacios have club commitments from the MF personnel

FW
    -L. Martinez and Aguero are available for training while Messi, Dybala and M. Suarez will join soon.

https://www.infobae.com/deportes-2/...za-como-sera-la-agenda-del-equipo-de-scaloni/

Burr and afar repped this.
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's still looks super happy & very much active on social media though :D

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm thinking at Copa America I'd like to see De Paul get some playing time in the early rounds, get him some experience, while also limiting Di Maria's minutes to save him for the later rounds, where hopefully he'll be fresh and healthy and a difference maker with his speed.

........Guido/Paredes......Lo Celso
    Palacios....................................De Paul/Di Maria
    (and of course) Messi - Aguero

DTCrackheads repped this.
  20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That was compounded by Scaloni having a line of three anchored by Mercado behind the no-destroyer midfield. I don't know what he was thinking. I'd like to see what Guido can do. And, having Pezella and Otamendi in central defense should make things a bit easier for the midfielders.

afar repped this.
  21. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Scaloni: We can’t just pass to Messi, we have to pass to him and move
    The Argentine manager says his team can’t be static

Argentina manager Lionel Scaloni has spoken out ahead of his team’s upcoming friendlies as they prepare for the Copa América. Speaking in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, the coach gave a little insight into his philosophy when it comes to building his team around Lionel Messi:

“It’s not a problem that they give the ball to him. The issue is that if they give it to him, other players have to move as well. It’s normal that they give him the ball, they always give it to him in the national team and for Barcelona. What does not help is if four or five are positioned too close to Leo. The challenge is for the players to spread across the pitch. This is what I’m aiming for. If we give it to him, another must move, or whoever gave it to him has to move and find space. You can’t stay there to play. Leo needs people going further up the pitch.”

Scaloni was asked about his side’s 3-1 loss to Venezuela, Messi’s only match under Scaloni:

“It was the first time they played with him and they scored against us almost immediately. I felt that they thought that Leo would resolve everything alone. But with our substitutions, things changed, they passed and moved. Everything will develop like this, in an organic manner.”

soul24rage repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, finally a manager that actually realize that the team has been so static for years....

soul24rage, Burr and afar repped this.
  23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #8373 Pipiolo, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    I was looking at the EPL clubs list of managers, and other than Guardiola, Pochettino, Klopp, Sarri and Emery, it's full of mediocre unknowns. Benitez and Pellegrini are there too but they have been displaced as elite managers for some time now, dinosaurs of the old tactical football that Bielsa, Aragones and above all Guardiola made obsolete. I wonder why they don't bring better managers with the right ideas when the league is so rich nowadays.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know alot of Argentina fans still love Bielsa but he's Argentina version of Wenger. You'd see pundits constantly praising him for his tactical style but he hardly bring any major thropy to any team he managed, just like Wenger. Few major thropies but that's about it.

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some news and rumors.

Conte is set to move to Inter and he wants Icardi out, Out,OUT! He appears to want to bring Lukaku to Inter. So, Inter have already taken steps to move Icardi. Icardi is saying he wants to stay but he’s apparently burnt that bridge. Now they are looking for suitors.

Dybala. Sarri is rumored to go to Juve after winning the Europa League final with Chelsea. It would be an interesting move since Sarri is one of the few Italian managers that isn’t stuck in Middld Ages when it comes to footballing tactics. With that said, Bayern have apparently submitted a 80ME bid for him. They’ve upped the ante from their initial 70ME. However, United want him as well. So, there could be a bidding war. Dybala recently came out and said he wants to stay BUT it is up to the club what they want to do with him.

Lo Celso. Pep is interested in him and is rumored that he will scout him in the CA. Aforementioned, Tottenham is also interested.

Also, the likes of Arsenal and Benfica are interested in Barco.