Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Romero

Saravia - Cristian Romero - Kannemann - Tagliafico (I guess, never impressed by him)

Pereyra - Ascacibar - Banega (still our best CM) - Di Maria

Messi - Agüero/Lautaro

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don’t understand why they brought in Suarez and Benedetto instead of Dybala. Play Dybala as a god damn 9. You don’t think he could do what Benedetto does? What’s the point if he plays the next game when Messi is out? Dybala had a look on his face that resembled him at Turin. Neither one of those players brought anything to the table. Benedetto has had plenty of games for us by now and Mati Suarez is getting his first call at 30.

Our forwards that should be at the CA is.
    Messi
    Kun
    Dybala
    Icardi
    Lautaro

Basta!

afar and tatoRMN repped this.
  3. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What I like about Lo Celso is he is an all round midfielder. But his mentality is superior. He did not defer to Messi when he saw the opportunity to pass and see space elsewhere. And I think Messi would like that as it allows him more freedom.

The others like Paredes, Blanco, Benedetto although not a midfielder are timid mice. The first thought is not what can I do with the ball but to abdicate responsibility and pass it to Leo. Let's see what he can do. And that is not good enough at this level. They have to work harder, be more intelligent and in that way allow Messi to fully express himself and have more freedom to play upfront.

Paredes move to PSG was cowardly. He should have moved to Chelsea. One he would have to fight for his place. Two there are no easy games. He would have to learn to improve his decision making even against teams like Cardiff and Huddersfield they are not going to give him time to think and space. But he is a cowardly player.

As I have long said Lo Celso and Santi need to be the cornerstone of the midfield with one or two others. de Paul provides the work rate, attitude and no little skill that is a better balance than anything we saw today.

4. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Pereyra, I felt, was also good....showed more initiative than the other “timid mice”, like Albiceleste put it.

5. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We probably are asking too much from him but we are in a position where we need a player in that position to be consistently good. Perhaps if he played a bit more more closer to the attack he’d thrive but thats Gio’s spot and he’s not giving it up. Maybe if we did a midfield of Ruso, Paredes and Lo Celso it would help. A 4-3-3?

6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Arqueros:
    Musso, Benitez, Gazzaniga

Defensores:
    Tagliafico (c), Godoy, Saravia, Pezzella, Kannemann, Otamendi, Romero, Foyth

Mediocampistas:
    Asascibar, Dominguez, Lo Celso, de Paul, di Maria, Gonsalez, Banega

Delanteros:
    Messi, Dybala, Icardi, Aguero, Martinez

afar repped this.
  7. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Noooo no more Banega... might as well call-up Biglia and Mascherano too if that's the case

SupaMario repped this.
  8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, I don’t understand calling up Banega when Lo Celso is thriving right now. Maybe, he can get called up as a backup, and even then I am reluctant.

9. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Take Banega as a back-up, because if Lo Celso gets injured, none of the midfielders have shown that they can create a single chance.

Absolutely NONE.

As much as I would like to move on, we absolutely need Aguero and Di Maria.

And for once — can a manager not be stupid and play Messi-Dybala together????

What sort of idiots do we have as coaches?!?!?

Because Dybala >>>>>>>> Benedetto + M. Suarez + Blanco, all put together

10. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. tatoRMN

tatoRMN Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I Think, What we have seen since summer, This must be 11 who starts CA

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      249.6 KB
      Views:
    afar repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Didnt see the game since I cant even find streaming for this game. I guess Scolani enjoyed his defence experiment & playing a defensive game....;)

I have a feeling that Scolani has been playing with defensive minded tactic (only 2 forwards) all the time, because he's just trying to secure his job and avoid losing.

You cant possibly focused solely on the backline for 7 straight games...

Lets ignore & move on from a guy who's banging more goals than CR in all competition this season...because Benedatto is world class.
    [​IMG]

afar repped this.
  13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That line up makes alot of sense but Scolani must be avoiding to have 3 forwards at once.

Aguero & Lautaro are both versatile strikers and can act as a clinical #9 or supporting striker .Well , so does Dybala actually.

We still need Di Maria at least for first 60 minutes. Against Ecuador, he didnt always put accurate crosses but his speed & determination to press led into Messi first 2 goal.

He didnt really have a good game against France or Switzerland but he's trying all day and rewarded with a goal.

He's one of few players we have that really shows determination, even if I have to admit, he's not always delivers accurate cross or making a right decision during the game... but determination tend to be rewarded and that has been lacking from our players.

14. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    If Scaloni doesn’t play Dybala from the first minute Tuesday, fire him.

He cannot alienate two of our best players in Aguero and Dybala.

I am tired of these coaches.

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has to put 2 forwards infront of Messi or he's turning us into park the bus team.

Sabella played counter attack football, yet he's still managed to field 3 forwards at once and flourished with it.

Maybe Scolani will experiment with 6 men defence against Morocco.

16. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For me, we have to start with the very basics. With very little time to implement an idea and with very low team chemistry, I would be pragmatic in our approach. Be compact and counter would be the best team strategy for this Copa.

Not pretty, but it's well suited for international competitions and Scaloni seemed to get the right idea when we played vs Brazil in November. Add that team strategy that we used vs Brazil with the addition of the likes of Messi and Aguero and we'll be ok.

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our goal came from a counter. Shocker. We could’ve easily given Venezuela the ball and told them to attack and we could’ve countered them all night. No point of controlling the ball when the team has zero attacking direction. You attack a team when they are not organized. Especially team that likes to sit back.

I try not to be hard on a new manager. He’s done well to bring in new blood and have the addition Saravia and Kannemann. He should’ve continued his back four instead of trying to venture off with a slow ass back 3 and 2 wingbacks. He at least changed the weakness from the first half, Mercado and Pity. So, at least he can see mistakes and makes adjustments.

As for Dybala. Again, I would’ve told Dybala, that you’re playing as the forward. I would’ve subbed off Lautaro for him. I would’ve instructed him do not pick up the ball, there are others who have that responsibility. Stay, in between the two defenders and find the right amount of space for yourself.

He has the ability to do so. He has a world class shot. Sure, he’s not going to score headers but I’m sure he would’ve done better than what Benedetto did.

We have the personnel, which is the frustrating part. But the good news is that at least Scaloni saw mistakes and I sense he’ll make the right adjustments.

18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With the way we're playing after 2016 final, we might be aswell need to hire Pekerman strictly just to give the players a short passing training. I dont understand how's these guys so dominant in their respective clubs and just couldnt put strings of 3-4 good passes in national team.

I'd say Uruguay is fav to win it. They did well recently and they also have the best performance among SA team in recent WC.

19. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Scaloni was the clown in 2006 who took Zanetti spot
    He was a shit player
    He assisted Sampaoli, the biggest fraud in football, and he got a bunch of draws with new talent.
    AFa is too broke to hire a real coach lmao I am 100% certain anyone of us here would have done better

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just a few things.

Who cares if he was a shit player...? What does that have to do with anything? Diego was the DT and what happened there?

Also, Scaloni has only had one draw since taking over.

Argentina defeated Guatemala 3-0
    Drew Colombia 0-0
    Defeated Iraq 4-0
    Lost to Brasil 1-0
    Defeated Mexico 2x 2-0

Not exactly the greatest of test’s but these are the results, prior to today’s match.

Scaloni got it all wrong today, there is no question. If we are moving forward, we need to fix these problems and learn from them.

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We shall see the line up and performance against Morocco. Lautaro NT career seems to have a great start. He's certainly could be our undisputed forward many years to come, especially with Icardi having too much drama in his life.

Since there will be another Copa next year, I wont be so disappointed if we dont win this one but at least hopefully we could make it to semifinal. In fact if we're going to lose, I'd rather we lose there than in another final.

Friendly is friendly and its never going to be a real test for any players. Lets hope Scolani really fix today's performance for next game. Like it or not, a NT manager simply needs to implement things faster since there's only like 8-10 games per year... but I'd stick to support Scolani at least till the end of Copa before judging further.

22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Otamendi, Banega, Messi, DiMaria, Aguero and Higuain all need to be part of the squad, Argentina has not yet transitioned to a new generation of players, likely because there are not that many great up and coming players in the 20 - 26 age group.

We really need players like Lanzini and Lamela to find their best form soon, the dearth of quality attacking mids is worrisome.

23. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The problem is that we are playing Paredes and Lo Celso in a two man midfield, it looks horribly unbalanced on paper and on the pitch. Neither of these players have great workrate or are good at tackling. They are both creative players who are best if they are given freedom.

What we need to do is either this:

Lo Celso - Paredes - Palacios

Where Paredes plays like regista and Palacios is the b2b engine.

Or this:

Lo Celso - Ascacibar - Paredes

Where Ascacibar is a traditional defensive midfielder and Paredes is given more creative freedom.

24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh boy.. you’re about to make Rattlehead throw a major tantrum :D

25. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really though I would exclude Banega, Higuain, and probably Otamendi.

Aguero and Di Maria are fine for now, though