Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another proof why Icardi should be Argentina's "9" in Russia.

2. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thought he looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet. His passing was also good. Hopefully he can come back to the level he had before that awful injury. If he does, he should at least be a certainty in the squad for Russia. He was a bit unlucky as he was partly involved in Icardi's first two goals but Bonucci was by far the main culprit.

3. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Showed some great ball control before the second Icardi goal:D

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Musacchio is very comfortable on the ball. He has a lot of skill. Bonucci has been terrible this season. He has been a shadow of himself(From what I've read) and Musacchio has been the defender from the two. I do hope he is an option.

Another defender who did well over the weekend was Fazio. I didn't watch the game but he came in as a sub and was given an 8 out of 10 performance.

DF Federico Fazio, 8 -- Dominated Napoli's forwards as soon as he came on, and his superior passing allowed Roma to start building attacks. A 30-minute man of the match display.

Tagliafico is another player I believe NEEDS to be called for the November friendly(or friendlies). I know he didn't have the greatest showing in the Brasil match but he could be an important asset to have, even if he's on the bench. He could be used if we switch back to playing a back four. His teammate Bustos will also probably be given another look.

I think overall our defensive personnel is perhaps better than 4 years ago. However, I would take Masche out as a starter. I'd rather have somebody like Mammana or Musacchio in the back with Otamendi. Masche is too much of a liability.
    Say what you want about Otamendi but he was good for us in the last two rounds of qualifiers and is a regular under Pep's Man City.

Lanzini is back into the fold for West Ham. A nice little article about him. Another player that could make a push for a spot in the final 23.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...uel-lanzini-could-kickstart-west-hams-season/

Coco Lamela is back in training and could perhaps get some minutes this month. He's been out for exactly a year now. He may be a long shot to make the final 23. But we will have another set of friendlies in March and if he returns as a starter and makes waves then he may be followed.

Rodrigo De Paul is doing very well for Udinese in Italy. He had an assist in a loss. Perhaps another long shot but I believe he could be monitored. I am sure he will be off to a bigger club in the near future. He has an abundance of talent.

I don't believe Sampa's list is finalized. If it was the case of Bozo and Tata we could've probably penciled in 20 out of 23 players without hesitation. Under Sampa things aren't as clear yet. There will be the guarantees but there will be plenty of spots to be filled.

cigar_city repped this.
  5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    De Paul is not NT material.

And Sampaoli should call Garay again and convince him.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    De Paul will be apart of the seleccion in the future if he continues to progress as he has done in the last year. He's only 23 and has plenty of time ahead of him.

As for Negro. I haven't followed him in quite a long time so I do not know how he is doing. I've always liked him but if he didn't want to return in two important matches then I am not sure how his return is going to be received by the captains.

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Took the day off and to pass the time while it was raining I watched the 2006 World Cup...I'd forgotten how good and well balanced a team that was. We actually used to have good midfield play.

SupaMario, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True but still... Pekerman gave out the QF by taking off Roman, just like he did in friendly against England and Croatia. Typical him, defending 1 goal lead instead of doing what Argentina does the best, attacking.

Argentina bench in second half in that QF includes Saviola, Crespo, Aimar, Roman and Messi. All sitting together instead of playing.

cigar_city repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has repeated these same mistakes with Colombia, almost risking their qualification to the WC by using this same tactic of holding on to a one-goal lead vs. Paraguay in their second-to-last WCQ game. The guy never learns... while not a bad coach/long-term planner (see his work with Argentina's youth NTs), he just keeps repeating this same mistake over and over again.

But going back to Moishe's point, yeah that 2006 team had a fantastic midfield. A true delight to watch. You had defensive solidness through Mascherano and Cambiasso, speed and technique on the wings through Maxi Rodriguez/Lucho Gonzalez, and creation through Roman. And that's not even counting the alternative players like Aimar, D'Alessandro (participated often in WCQ) and a young Messi!

Long gone are those days -- now we don't even have one decent midfielder starting for us, which is pathetic. Lets hope the recent inclusions of Enzo Perez and Paredes (added to hypothetical call-ups of players like Lanzini) can begin changing that. Still nothing compared to that 2006 mid, but at least it's something....

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If he's in charge of Argentina against Ecuador, Messi wont get a hattrick. He'd replace him with DMF after the second goal and we probably conceided late goal.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pekerman... Ah yes, the man who took Lionel Scaloni to the World Cup and left Pupi Zanetti behind. What a travesty that was. I remember the idiots saying that Pupi was a mufa.

It is amazing that a player like Palacio has played in the same amount of World Cups as Pupi.

Also, where was Kily Gonzalez, Chelito Delgado? And he left off Demichelis when he was at his best. Also the aforementioned D'Alessandro.

2006 was a bitter pill to swallow because we were perhaps the best team in that tournament. What a great battle Italy-Argentina would've been.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No doubt about it, and Italy actually lucky with that gift penalty in second round. However, they did have great midfield and defence , which typical Italy whenever they won major tournaments.

But for whatever reason, every team seems to have their kryptonite. Germany always beat Argentina whether from shootout ,gift penalty or when Argentina managed by a clown and recently they won with a super late goal. France has beaten Brazil in last 3 World cup clash, Italy always beat Germany in major tournament, always.

Its a shame that Pekerman always maintain that attitude & mentallity when playing crucial match, otherwise he's actually a great manager.

cigar_city and Moishe repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Biglia: "If Sampaoli had been with us since the beginning of qualifiers, we would've been perfect" (we wouldn't have had trouble qualifying)

Damn... I guess even the players were sick of Bauza's useless ass.

SupaMario, Burr and Rattlehead repped this.
  14. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Shut up, Biglia...

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    At the same time, it sucks that Biglia is the best midfielder Argentina could pick today.:ninja:

16. Gio-13

Gio-13 Member

Aug 26, 2007
    watching skywalkers
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Chucky is the beast now. He should've never went to Newcastle on loan, otherwise he would be even in better state right now.

locoxriver, SupaMario and Rattlehead repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gabriel Batistuta on Higuain:

"He was treated very unfairly. Unfortunately, Pipa had two plays that condemned him, no one had piety with him and that influenced his performance a bit, but that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to play. To top it off, he's one of the most valued forwards in world football, and in Italy he is a star..... He doesn't deserve to miss out on Russia"

18. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    I see this team in total disarray. Unfortunately these players don't have time to practice and gel for 2 months at least just before the world cup. As far as line ups go: Yes perhaps Icadi should go. Banega? Pastore? Perhaps pasto but who would you folks pic.

19. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should at least lose the obvious weight he's put on before getting another chance. I haven't completely shut the door, but he should show he really wants it.

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nice vision by Fazio in Roma's second goal today vs. Chelsea, showing that he can add a little more than defensive solidity to our team

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi with great freekick today.

22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #4847 Rattlehead, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Since Copa 2016, Higuain only scored just once throughout qualifier before he was dropped. It was justified.

I'm ok if Sampa bring him to Russia but only as a sub. We've seen what he did in every finals he played. I can consider the 2014 as badluck but that miss against Chile in 2016 was comical and shows his true mentallity.

In fact ,this season he just missed what possibly the closest chance in football history.

[​IMG]

23. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    2006 hurts, but at least my man Pirlo won a World Cup trophy so it's all good. :D

Interesting how the past few World Cup winners have all had midfielders who play together at club level.

Pirlo-Gattuso (Milan)
    Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta (Barca)
    Kroos-Schweinsteiger (Bayern)

That's the disadvantage Argentina has of not being in Europe.

Paredes-Kranevitter do play together, so do Pizarro-Banega-Vazquez. Although Krane and Pizarro are not good enough for a team that wants to win the WC.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Italy has always been my second team, so I'm happy to see them win especially they're beating Zidane's team and Germany. Buffon is my fav goalie and I grew up watching serie A in 90's, countless best players of that era played there , many which also my fav players (Batigol, Zanetti, Maldini, Ronaldo,Del Piero, Crespo, Simeone , etc) , great times!

Italy deserved the 2006 WC even with that gift penalty in second round, since they were totally robbed by S Korea in 2002. That's probably the worst refereeing in WC history, worst than 90 final.

afar repped this.
  25. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    #4850 afar, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Do we just have the game against Russia for the friendlies in November, or one more game?

All the top countries are playing 2 games each to make preparations, etc.

I hope we get one more game in Europe....even against a weak team. Need Sampaoli to incorporate his changes, and get the guys to gel.

http://www.mundoalbiceleste.com/2017/10/18/spain-italy-ukraine-argentina-friendly/

Ukraine/Georgia paying very little for the match.

Spain/Italy for next March.