Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh, right... some online trolls bothered you so you don't want Argentines going to their country. I forgot.

Well, putting personal bias stemming from negative social experiences aside, what exactly makes the quality of football in China or Russia any better? I'm not a big fan of our players going to Portugal either, but I don't think playing for Shanghai Shenhua or Rostov is in any way better than playing for Benfica...

cigar_city, Burr and tatoRMN repped this.
  2. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hilarious!! Here's the translated version for those who aren't fluent in Spanish:

Albiceleste2010, unclesox and cigar_city repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Pipiolo this video might give you a heart attack

:D

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why would you want our players to go to the Portuguese league, Argentina does not have any cultural ties with them they way we do with Brazil, Uruguay, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, South Korea, and the Middle East.

Their fans are awful, just go and take a look at he WC Group B thread circa December/January. They don't deserve our magnanimity to save their clubs from oblivion.

5. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    VINO!!!

They're both wine producing countries. Fermented Grapes!! There's your cultural tie right there!

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There has been a small Portuguese community in Argentina for a long time. I think Portugal were the first country to recognize Argentina after he declaration of independence from Spain and one of the most famous authors Jorge Borges is a descendant of those early Portuguese settlers. His The Library Of Babel is a witty, satirical look at the human condition.

It is hard to stomach clubs making a huge mark up on Argentine players. However we will see how Ferreyra does. It might give him a chance to break into the seleccion at some point and lets hope some synergy develops among the likes of Cervi and Conti which could serve the seleccion well at some point.

cigar_city repped this.
  7. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now that you mention it, I should have also included Chile in that list. Not just on the agriculture but many other aspects.

The connection is minimal, there are communities of every European and Asian nation in Argentina. On the other hand the ties with Great Britain run deep, Argentines are the biggest Anglophiles in Latin America and somehow I forgot to mention them.

Hopefully all of them move on rather sooner than later. Argentine players should start looking to Russia and China as the next football frontier.

8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There still is some connection Pipiolo. As for this playing in Russia and China like Barco going to the MLS it's a very poor decision especially for young players. Ig they were going to Russia to play handball or volleyball it would be a good one as the leagues are world class.

But the RPL and the CSL are far from that. Plenty of money certainly but not the level of competition that challenges a young player and forces them to learn quickly under pressure to improve their game and decision making. I feel the move of the players to Zenit is quite shady and no doubt linked to agents who will make a lot of money from it. A beautiful city indeed and one could spend a lifetime absorbing the culture from it but not ideal from a football point of view.

locoxriver repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And the Portuguese league is top-level? It's a racket this signing and selling of players and it needs to stop, plus we don't need to send players there anyhow.

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Apprently, Pastore and Roma have struck an agreement. Pastore and PSG still need to sit down and figure out terms of his termination clause and how much Roma will pay PSG. If he does move back to Italy, one can hope he will revive his career. I was a major fan but he never progressed to the heights where many of us hoped he would.

locoxriver repped this.
  11. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Past ore. The boat has gone for him. Unfortunately he is one of a breed of Argentine players that put money before trying to hit the heights. He might have become an excellent player. Now he will always be viewed as a player that wasted much of his potential. Potential is just that until it is translated into performances and results. Marco Bielsa is now going to coach Leeds United. Think of them as a Talleres de Cordoba. There should be fireworks. Wonder if he will last the season.

12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If the AFA have any decency resign en masse. We need clear direction from the top.

One there needs to be a review of this WC and the past four year cycle.

All the missing money needs to be recovered if it can. Sampaoli needs to be talked with and asked what his plans are and if not up to scratch review the coaching position.

Some of the old guard need to be dispensed with. But we must not throw the baby out with the bathwater. We still a couple of experienced heads in there.

We have a young nucleus in the making despite the debacle in the u20 & u17.

Defence: Get Pezzella in. Look at the kids in Franco, Mammana, Quarta.
    Midfield: Retain Messi as a playmaker. Lo Celso, Asascibar, Foyth, Caseres players like Zaracho etc
    Strikers: Icardi, Ferreyra, Dybala,Martinez & Romero.

Goalkeepers ? Who is coming ? No youngster is shining or gaining enough experience.

This can all change. No players to have a guaranteed spot. A body constantly monitoring performances domestically and abroad.

A body to advise young players on career choices. Reform of payments made to clubs on transfers so more money comes into clubs.

A complete overhaul of the league structure. Two professional divisions only each of 18 clubs. Cooperation between the AFA and clubs on continental competition, youth development programmes and funding a centre of excellence.

A thorough look into why we are not developing goalkeepers, fullbacks at the required level and looking into their skills development and their mental abilities. And this all starts with juniors right now. Not those already 16 or above but at 7-8 so the target we are really looking at is 2030 which may well be a domestic World Cup across the Mar del Plata. No bullshitting, no complacency but a thorough root and branch reform.

A team cannot rely on thinking talent will keep flowing. Other countries are catching up with their development programmes while we have stood still thinking the next Maradona, Zanetti, Ruggeri or Batigol will miraculously pop up.

Not to mention selecting the best coaches for our age group sides. All the mess we are in is a result of the AFA. Much as I dislike Germany, France, England and the rest their football associations have recognized issues in their game and have taken steps to address it and improve their national teams fortunes. Not to mention all the others who are catching up as well.

It may be hard right now but this result should be taken as an enormous wake up call and a turning point. Enough is enough. The sad thing is I think the AFA will continue as it does in ignorance thinking our heritage as a footballing nation will keep us at the forefront of the game.

SupaMario repped this.
  13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    It disturbs me how many of the younger generation of players don't know much about the history of former players and afford the due respect that should be given to these players and others. Considering some like Biglia are complete muertos.

Rattlehead repped this.
  14. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    cigar_city repped this.
  16. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I love how they have no tattoos

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

But I'll tell you this much, our players had a style that personified cool and you didn't need a crap load of link to show it.

[​IMG]

Albiceleste2010, Rattlehead and Burr repped this.
  18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    BEB18CD3-23DF-402F-B99F-76CDF9908D64.jpeg

Check out how much admiration for Argentina deep in Asian entrails.

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    70's - 90's are cool
    [​IMG]

2018...[​IMG]

20. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Did our team get shorter with time? I notice the past teams always had some decent height Batista, crespo, Veron all close to 6ft. Even in Diego's days he had some tall players around. And they all looked muscular. our team now is to tiny and the least physically imposing.

21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Transfer news. Funes Mori (never pick him again) off to Villareal. Cristian Lema of Belgrano (one of the best defenders in the Primera this season) has signed for Benfica.
    http://www.marca.com/futbol/liga-portuguesa/2018/06/23/5b2e4193268e3e012f8b45f7.html

A pitiful fee unfortunately. A free transfer. He's a giant but pretty decent technically. A bit too old to make the seleccion for me. I would focus on players aged 23 or below.

Villareal are also being linked with Alan Franco (someone who is definitely seleccion material. They look likely to lose Langlet and are looking for a like for like replacement. I like Franco very much as an all round player and the Yellow Submarine has been good to Gonzalo and Musacchio. He will get to play.

Also Tomas Cardona at Godoy is being closely monitored by Napoli. Another defender who reads the game well, passes accurately and is good in the air and is starting to learn the art of the well timed tackle.

Someone mentioned who cares about the state of Argentina in another thread. It matters hugely. I can tell you that if Argentina had a strong economy then that directly impacts upon football.

Clubs will have more sponsorship, there is less pressure to sell kids early and for low prices. The kids get to stay until they are 22-23 when they are mature physically and mentally and have learnt more of their craft and played regularly in the Argentine style. As it is the converse is true and European clubs for the most part are like vultures taking half formed talents for a song and more often than not ruining their careers by never playing them in the first team or loaning them everywhere as do indeed Argentine clubs.

As a case in point Emanuel Cecchini a kid with plenty of promise has returned to Banfield. Wasted a whole season after signing for Malaga and not playing and then in Mexico with Leon. This happens far too often with our kids. A season is a long time to learn your game. At least he has the example of Tagliafico to follow who also wasted time at that dross of a club Murcia came back to Argentina and rebuilt his game. It does require mental strength and actually it might sort the men from the boys.

I like Godoys coach as well. Plenty of formulative experiences for Diego Dabove. We'll see how he does this season but one to keep an eye coaching wise.

cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  23. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  25. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They must take their time about an appointment. Interview several candidates and see what they want first and how they intend to move the team forward, bring in new players, the u17 and u20 and what the manager wants in domestic football.

It has to be a long term concerted plan. Even discuss who mighy succeed the new manager. There has to be a concerted plan of succession an identifiable style of play from u17 to seleccion.

And very important Tapia and his friends should sack themselves as well. We need real football people in the AFA and make sure we remain focused on producing technically gifted players in all positions. Potrero football mixed with Bilardism in the right proportions.

Rattlehead and Burr repped this.