Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He would get chased out of Napoli by a mob. The man has little respect for the tifosi there. Running off (well waddling) to their chief rivals. The man is a player of the past. Embarrassing he is still peddling his frailties in the national shirt. If it's for Corruption FC I couldn't care less. A pity he cannot retire from the seleccion. Preferably today.

cigar_city, Rattlehead and SupaMario repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes ,sorry wrong typo, I mean Pipita. What I mean with cult followers is that small group of fans that always believe he's the best striker no matter what. Its like bad bad movie that completely fail at box office, gets a bad reviews everywhere but always maintain a small group of passionate fanbase.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Most non clinical 9 in Argentina history.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Next game Masch will become the most capped Argentine player.

ShortyMac and Rattlehead repped this.
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think this moment, 15 days on the eve, becomes the time to support all of our "convocados", no matter their faults and past histories. Higuain is a world-class forward, and let's not forget he has as many WC goals as Messi. I also would have liked Icardi to have made the cut, along with Higuain, but that's Sampaoli's decision and from here on now it should be about Argentina.

Here's a prediction, Higuain to score three goals at the tournament.

afar, locoxriver, soul24rage and 2 others repped this.
  6. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Let´s hope all goes well, I want nothing more than to see Messi lift the throphy, and why not? This team that got to 3 consecutive finals in the last 4 years to finally win the whole thing.

But mostly Messi :p

7. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’ll support the shirt no matter what but he is beyond delusional. Even before the list of 23 came out he was talking about him wanting to be the top scorer of the World Cup. He knew his place was secured and no matter how piss poor he was, he’d still gets a call. We can have players out perform him and no matter how much he sucks, he gets a call. Maybe, if he didn’t have this comfort, he’d work harder and make himself a better player. This is what infuriates many of us. M

I do hope he scores 10 goals at the World Cup, and helps us win a third star, but as the old saying goes a leopard cannot change its spots.

cigar_city, Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  8. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    On The Positive...

Pipita did make a nice run on the second goal, took a second touch when it looked like he was going to cross, then supplied a beautiful chip to Lo Celso... who headed it down, but at the keeper, and then Messi was there to clean up the mess for a clinical tap in from short range.

If Pipita doesn't score a single goal, but gets a "hockey assist" in each game, I will be fine with that. However, if he doesn't get an assist (hockey or otherwise) and he flubs a beautiful pass for a sure goal and we lose in OT/a Shootout...

Well, then they should make a statue of him and then toss it into the smelliest section of the Riachuelo.

Albiceleste2010 and cigar_city repped this.
  9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Him and Biglia will always earn automatic spot for major tournament. Higuain has done literally nothing since scoring one goal against Peru in 2016. Aguero clearly should start and then Dybala as his sub.

If Sampa dropped Icardi because his miss against Ecuador (which he only played few minutes) , then it doesnt make sense he'd not drop Icardi after 3000 misschances.

10. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    I think that Icardi looked a little disconnected when he finally got his chances with la selección and that Sampa was looking for any reason to not take him, because Messi obviously loves Higuaín and dislikes Icardi (because of off-the-field issues).

I really feel that Biglia's inclusion is the most damaging inclusion in the final 23. Mascherano cannot play every match and will get slower and slower as the tournament goes along, IF he doesn't pull a hamstring and have to miss the rest of the tournament. Biglia was worse in 2014 than Mascherano is now.

Biglia's inclusion is most probably:
    1) to start game 3 in the group stages, and then...
    2) perhaps to spell Mascherano if possible in the knockout stages.

I think that Sampa always wants either Mascherano or Biglia on the field at all times.

I think that almost every other fan of the albiceleste doesn't want Biglia anywhere near the provisional 35, not to even mention the final 23, or in the 18 who suit up for each match.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The Argentine colony keeps on expanding at Benfica.. Conti has recently joined Salvio and Cervi, Pavon is being linked with a possible transfer, and now Chucky Ferreyra has reached an agreement to join the Lisbon side according to the Portuguese press.

SupaMario repped this.
  12. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And Pellegrini is interested in bringing Pastore to West Ham. Maybe preparing for life after Lanzini.

locoxriver and SupaMario repped this.
  13. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Surprised he didn't eat it. A chip is a chip after all......:p

locoxriver, Pipiolo, ShortyMac and 2 others repped this.
  14. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RIP Pastore

15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, you're pretty much correct about Biglia would be the most damaging part on the team because midfield is most important part of the team. If you get outplayed in midfield, that means opponent will dominates the ball and get alot more chance to score.

The problem with Biglia is that he offers literally nothing. Its no wonder that Milan wasnt even in top 5 this season , since Biglia played almost 40 matches for them this season. He has zero silverware outside Belgian league and its unbelievable that he has played many major tournaments for Argentina and will play another WC.

Looking back at Pipita NT performance, he always choked big time in every finals but at least he scored goals before the finals. He scored 4 goals in WC 2010 and CA 2016, assisted Messi's winner against Serbia and scored winning goal in QF, so at least you could say he did help the team to get to the final. The only thing I remember from Biglia in NT would be his frightened face before shooting his penalties in CA 2015 & 2016, both which he missed as I expected.

If we get to the final and Sampa bench Pipita the whole game, we might score some goals.

soul24rage repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's the attitude!

afar and Christina99 repped this.
  17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ADM might be on his way back to Madrid but for Atletico. There were rumors of him going to Napoli. But Paredes is also being linked to Napoli.

18. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's because they sucked without enough Argies on the team, and are now back to leeching off our talents. Salvio made the squad but I doubt he will play much, especially if Mercado has recovered. As long as Pavon doesn't go, the others are not players to be considered for international call-ups.

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don’t know.. Ferreyra was excellent in both Banfield and Velez, and now he’s coming off of scoring 30 goals this season for Shaktar.

I wouldn’t rule him out of NT consideration, moreso with Higuain/Aguero coming to the closure of their careers.

Conti is more of a far shot, but if players like Rojo and Funes Mori get called-up, why not him? He was consistently solid with Colon, now we just have to see how he progresses in a bigger team like Benfica. I wouldn’t call him up at the moment, but he could develop into a good player: he’s only 24, yet was captain of his team for years. He also possesses good height (6’4”)

20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It all depends on how they develop and learn their game. Ferreyra needs to move to Spain or Italy with a middling club at first so he plays. If he can establish himself who knows. Ditto for Gio Simeone. There is a reason they were picked for the u20. And again the youngers strikers like Lautaro and Maxi Romero.

Others have also gone under the radar or have they found their level ? Sergio Araujo has been lighting up the Greek Superleague but it's a weak league.

As for the defenders there are several youngish players all with real potential. But again it develops on how they learn to read the game as they play more and more and move if they do indeed to Europe. Whether they get to play and maintain their physicality.

We've seen several kids who showed real promise not fulfil it. And the main fault is a lack of playing time. Lisandro Lopez has played the grand total of some sixty games in five years. Just sixty and I blame Benfica. Others of the vintage of Ferreyra and Tagliafico who were seen as part of a possible seleccion of the future also hit this hurdle. Leonel Galeano at Rayo Vallecano where his development was stunted badly.

However the generation of Mammana, Franco, Quarta and Barboza offer great hope and fingers crossed Mammana moves to Spain or Italy and recovers fully while Quarta regains the level before his drug ban. And of course Pezzella has to become a leader in the seleccion. He's still just 26 and developing into an outstanding player having missed an entire season lets not forget with a serious injury. He should be integral in the post WC cycle, for the Copa and WC2022.

Pipiolo, SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  21. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I hope all of them reach a high level to have a shot at the NT, that would be great for the upcoming generation after CA19. However, they should not look to go to the Portuguese league, I really hope they start looking more to Brazil, France, Russia and China if a straight move to the EPL, La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga is not in the cards.

Completely agree with this.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wait, what? You don't want our players going to Portugal, but propose China and Russia as good alternatives? :confused:

Burr repped this.
  23. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :ROFLMAO: :cry:

@Sandinista, where do you get such hilarious vignettes? Are you part of some underground comedy troupe?

Napoleon_BA repped this.
  25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've already made my arguments clear on this, sorry but don't want to repeat myself.