Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

There,'s this general hates towards Icardi because of his controversial personal life (I dont believe he cause problem in dressing room) and with Aguero constantly having a fitness issue, its natural that some would still say Higuain is the best choice as the #9 because its very very unlikely Dybala to start even if he's included in 23 list.

Batistuta always respect all players so I think he's just being generous. In last 2 years he also had said that Icardi deserve to get a call up.

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  3. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Loco, I always have my antennae up for perceived shots at South American futbol, however I read that and did not perceive a slight towards Cola Lib, only a sarcastic suggestion of old guard status quo & therefore calling up Tevez (Exchanged jerseys with the Brazilian keeper at the end of the game and let's just say he's not a skinny young man anymore). I perceived :whistling:was for that not for the competition.

Rattlehead repped this.
  4. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Battaglia? major exclusion? :eek: I watched all europa league games from Sporting and he ********ing sucks.

Seems to me that the mess the midfield is makes us ask for any random player to be called up.

And for the nth time... Garay doesn't want to play, Sampaoli called him several times already and he rejected all of them.

tatoRMN repped this.
  5. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well the reason Garay is being spoken about is because he recently came out and stated that he doesn't know where that whole story came from. His retirement from the NT was accepted as fact after being heavily reported by media for years without contest, but in an interview a few weeks ago he asked "did you ever hear those words come from my mouth?... no."

So maybe he didn't permanently renounce the NT... but that doesn't mean he's selectable either. The original story was that his NT teammates turned on him after he requested to not be called-up for one round of qualifiers since his daughter was ill at the time. Who knows if it's true or not, but we do all know that certain voices within our squad have quite a significant weigh-in when it comes to call-up decisions.

SupaMario, cigar_city and soul24rage repped this.
  6. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now if only Pipita rejects a call up...:whistling:

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    HIguain is the least of Argentina's problems IMO. Their forwards are their best asset. That being said right now I'd probably start Messi and Dybala upfront and play 4-4-2.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Rattlehead repped this.
  9. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I heard on some show (can't remember which one) that Sampaoli called him personally for every single international window and he turned him down all of them.

10. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    THIS.

We are losing our time discussing Icardi this, Icardi that, as if he were some savior that would start scoring for fun (most likely he wouldn't, in fact, he started important games and he didn't exactly change everything)... the problem is completely and absolutely elsewhere.

11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6086 Rattlehead, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    As I pointed few pages back...last 3 major tournaments + 2018 qualifier proof otherwise.

WC 2014 - 4 goals conceided in 7 matches (3 went into ET)
    CA 2015 - 3 goals conceided in 6 matches (2 went into ET)
    CA 2016 - 2 goals conceided in 6 matches (1 went into ET)
    QF 2018 - 16 goals conceided (2nd best defence statistically after Brazil but scored less than 20 which 2nd lowest after Bolivia)

Outside Messi 7 goals and 4 assists, Argentina scored a mere 8 goals in 18 games. Defence looks bad in recent friendlies against Nigeria and Spain, but manager and players dont approach friendlies with the same mindset as in competitive matches. Argentina had thrashing win over Germany and Spain since 2010, and it didnt reflect major tournament performance one bit.

Higuain not only missed easy chances in big preasure game but scored a mere 1 goal in qualifier before being dropped ...that's not a major problem? look at his misschances against Spain and Real madrid.

Player sellection certainly the biggest problem in recent years ... the same clowns and pass prime player like Masche being called up over and over. This would be 1982 all over again... Maradona + bunch of old timers from previous WC winners who clearly had pass their best.

4-4-2 with 2 midgets upfront? that reminds me of 0-3 defeat in 2007 final. Roman was hacked down , the ball never went to Messi and Tevez... and the midfield at the time was 10 x better than today.

soul24rage repped this.
  12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Di Maria scored twice recently against Monaco and having his personal best scoring season with 20+ goals. Hopefully he stays fit and take a well needed rest since PSG only 1 game away from securing the title.

Lo Celso also scored twice in the same game.

13. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    "Recovering from an arthroscopy on my knee," Aguero tweeted.

"Fully motivated to get back soon to the field."

[​IMG]
    Sergio Kun Aguero

Initial reports suggest that Aguero could be sidelined for up to a month, which would bring his 2017-18 domestic campaign to a close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what match fitness he will be in if he is sidelined for a month.

Guardiola wasn't fibbing ---- Aguero is in a race against time to be fit for the first game of the World Cup.

cigar_city repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As long he recovered on time, then it would good thing that he miss the remaiming games. Im glad our key players will not have to play more CL games and wrap the title early. Aguero had sealed the league title while Messi & Di Maria are very close to securing the league.

15. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    I am not sure about match fitness, when you are injured for a month.

locoxriver repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Icardi scored his 25th goal of this season. He already better his previous season with 24 in the league, and still has few games to play. Icardi has 7 goals in last 5 or 6 games, but I think he'd need 60 goals to replace Higuain in NT.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We''ll see , but hopefully he can play at least the last friendly before the WC.

Some other NT forwards will also came into the WC after long injury, such as Neymar & Kane ... and you' ll never know if they actually would have recovered weeks before that but decided to just rest and save energy for WC....

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Which revives the question.. even though he had a good season, does an injured Aguero deserve to go over Dybala/Icardi?

megamac20817 and cigar_city repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero injury will hopefully will forced Sampa to includes both Dybala & Icardi in final 23.

We literally have zero chance if Aguero enter the WC unfit and Higuain starts in all game. Not to mention with that weak midfield.

cigar_city and SupaMario repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Deserve to go? The answer is no. His body has once again let him down and he should not go ahead of the likes of Dybala or Icardi.

Will he go? I believe we all know the answer that is since we also know who is roommate is. Kun could be in a wheelchair and he'll still make the side.

As mentioned above, if Kun is injured during the tournament then we are essentially ###### if Dybala and Icardi are not there.

To be honest, NONE of our forwards outside of Messi deserve to go to the World Cup ahead of Dybala and Icardi. Can anybody name more deserving players than either of them?

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6096 Rattlehead, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Most deserving forward?....Higuain, since 2009:sleep:

It seems that Argentina main attacking players always had injury curse in every tournaments since 2004... Saviola, Crespo, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Kun... it never change.

Aguero was in great form before this injury ,not only the EPL but he's also scoring in CL & both friendlies for Argentina. Just when you think he's finally going to have his best shot in the WC, this happened...

[​IMG]

22. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Aguero will be a walking injury prone in WC , we need dybala and icardi in our roster

Rattlehead repped this.
  23. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    If Aguero isn’t playing for another month, that will keep him out of a competitive environment for nearly three months. Taking him to the WC will definitely prove the point that Messi has extensive influence on player selection. While we continue to complain about Higuain’s presense, just imagine selecting an injured player over other deserving talent that can influence game outcomes. Absolutely pathetic.

locoxriver, Pipiolo and cigar_city repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  25. afar

afar Member+