Argentine NT: News, Stats & Players [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by jimmi_moh, Jul 17, 2014.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No doubt about it. Even those considered "lesser" talents next to Riquelme and Aimar (think Cambiasso or Maxi Rodriguez) were miles ahead of the best we currently have to offer in midfield.. then you had other beasts like Redondo, Ortega, D'Alessando, Gallardo, etc.

Paredes, Lanzini, and Lo Celso are all fantastic players, and I understand the hype for them after so many years of Biglia and Banega, but they really would be nowhere near the NT in previous decades.

megamac20817, Burr, soul24rage and 4 others repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With the right system and players that has the right attitude, we can do at least as good as in 2014 if not better. Sabella's team apart from the frontlines, didnt have a world class player other than Mascherano, but He made the best use of Gago, Enzo Perez ,Lavezzi and even Zabaleta.

However, the major problem would be as usual... even if we're not conceiding goals, we lack creative players outside Messi who can create goalscoring opportunities. Germany finally scored because they created alot more chances and they're not exactly clinical apart from that semifinal game against defenseless team. So the number of chances they created cover up their misschances.

If Pipita ended up in Russia and play, we might need to create at least 10 great chances per game to score at least 1.

cigar_city and afar repped this.
  3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having Masche or Biglia starting is playing Russia Roulette, having Masche AND Biglia play is suicide. We are essentially playing with two less players with them on the pitch. I will continue to say, I hope Sampaoli has come to his senses and realizes that neither of them can start for us after that debacle v the gallegos.

As mentioned above, we had great generation of midfielders and defenders, they all vanished like the dust in the wind(Cue Kansas' song). This needs to be resolved for the next generation of players.

Fatso has been playing top-flight football for over a decade and for that period of time, he's proven he can't cut it. I don't think Juventus spent 100 million so he could score goals in the league, he was brought in to help them achieve European glory. Juventus could've easily won the league without buying him and they did so the same year Fatso broke the record for most alfajores eaten in a single sitting.

I am still perplexed why Juventus went and purchased a player who was on the wrong side of 20, that has no grit, and will break down when you need him most. I applaud them for going and buying Dybala for 35-40 ME, they did their homework and saw the potential in him. But they missed out on Icardi who was already a Capocannoniere winner in his early 20's. They apparently bought Fatso so they could weaken Napoli who at the time were closing the gap on the league. Talk about a shortsighted approach by Juventus. Forgive me for being selfish, but having Dybala and Icardi play week and week out could've helped us in the long run.

As for Pavón, I concur, I am all for taking young and talented players, this could help them develop as players. Pavón's a player that Sampa is apparently a fan of and could be useful.

As I have said, I am more nervous about seeing the list of players going to Russia than seeing us play our first match.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pavon assisted Aguero's goal against Russia and Nigeria with accurate crosses. I think Sampa sees that he could click well with Kun.

Messi and Kun both didnt play in recent friendlies but I think Pavon can be usefull in the actual starting 11 that has Messi and Kun. He had the acceleration to sprint fast on the right wing, similar to Lavezzi.

afar and soul24rage repped this.
  5. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Here we go again --- Aguero getting injured again and again near the end of the season:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/ague...uge-effort-in-failed/11frsnw8ybc14z78xfo0py60

Some reports saying that he won't be even ready by Argentina's first game.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And manager Pep Guardiola says the Argentina forward could not train after that incident, but pushed himself in an unsuccessful attempt to rescue City's European campaign in the final 24 minutes of the second leg against Liverpool.

"Aguero is injured - he was injured before the game, that was why he did not start," Guardiola told a pre-match news conference. "He was not ready."

Adding that John Stones will join Aguero in sitting out against Spurs, Guardiola continued: "I don't know [when Aguero will be back]. We cannot forget he had a month injured.

"He made a huge effort, because after the action from Ashley Young against United he had problems in his knee. He could not train. He played the last 15 or 20 minutes and, after the game, he said 'I could not run, I cannot play'.

"For Swansea [City, after Tottenham], I do not know if he will be ready. Hopefully [he will be back] for the last games, if we need him, and especially for the World Cup."

6. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Home » Sport » Champions League: What Maradona told Messi after Barcelona’s 3-0 loss to Roma

SPORT
    Champions League: What Maradona told Messi after Barcelona’s 3-0 loss to Roma

April 13, 2018
    By

John Owen Nwachukwu
    [​IMG]
    Argentina legend, Diego Maradona, has told Lionel Messi to put behind him Barcelona’s UEFA Champions League exit.

Maradona told Messi to focus on preparing well with the Albiceleste as they target their third title at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

Barcelona crashed out of the Champions League on superior away goals by an Italian side, AS Roma on Tuesday.

Messi and colleagues threw away a 4-1 first leg lead, losing 3-0 in the second leg to crash out 4-4 on aggregate.

Passing his message to Messi through daniarcucci.com the football legend said the exit of Barcelona could be a blessing in disguise for the Argentina captain who he thinks will be well rested for the World Cup in Russia to win it.

“Messi, today, he can go and lift the World Cup in Russia, the only thing I would tell him is to prepare himself, as I did with Professor Del Monte, before Mexico, to prepare himself for the World Cup in Russia.

“Because Barcelona is lost, it is more than done, they have no problem. ,The La Liga and the Copa Del Rey will be theirs at the end of the season.

“As I told Napoli: ‘I love you a lot, I gave you a lot, but now my priority is the national team.”

“And so you can go and lift the Cup in Russia. It is essential that he (Messi) prepare himself mentally and physically for his last chance.”

cigar_city, Burr, soul24rage and 2 others repped this.
  7. Edhardy

Edhardy Member+

Sep 4, 2013
    Nairobi, Kenya
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The only games he should really be that bothered about IMO are the next three - Valencia at home, Celta away (Barca always struggle there recently) and the Copa Del Rey final for obvious reasons. After that there's only the Clasico.
    The rest of the games he should miss altogether or make brief cameos.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, usually they just assume the worst scenario but I think he'd be at least fit by the time of the WC if not the last few friendlies.

But from Pep's words, I think there's possibility than Kun simply decided to take a long rest after that CL lost since they're pretty much has secured the league title and I'm sure he had WC in his mind as priority. Its certainly sounds like Kun has spoken to Pep about the WC and wanted a long rest.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/En...-unsure-over-length-of-aguero-injury-20180413

They were trying to overturn a three-goal first-leg deficit and were level at 1-1 in the return game when the striker was introduced, but lost 2-1.

"He played the last 10 to 15 minutes and after the game said he had a lot of pain and could not run," Guardiola added.

"After that game I don't know if he'll be ready for the Swansea game (on April 22).

"So hopefully he'll be ready for the last games if we need him and for his World Cup."

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6059 Rattlehead, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    With such a big gap between Barca and second place , even a draw in classico and against Atletico Madrid would more than enough for them to win the league, so I dont see any reason for Messi to really burnout his energy.

CDR final would be the only game that really important for the fact that its about winning or losing a thropy. Other than that, perhaps the Valencia game be the only crucial game because they would be 95% securing the league.

I'm still worry that Messi will play classico with do or die attitude because the obvious reason (CR) plus chasing the golden boot since he's currently la liga top scorer and still very close with Salah for the European golden boot. They're meaningless compare to his fitness at WC but Messi is competitive guy, those stuff might still lingering on his mind.

Edhardy, soul24rage and afar repped this.
  10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    This is what I worry about.

Also, that Barca might want to go the season unbeaten, or clinch the Liga title in the Clasico.

All stupid reasons.

I would not play the Clasico if I were Messi. Play an easy game, and secure the title in that, even if you lose the Clasico without Messi.

Ballon D'Or, Golden Boot, Invincible season, etc ----- none of this matters.

For Messi to enhance his legacy, the only thing that matters is the World Cup. I am not sure if he is smart enough to understand that, or if his competitive juices allow him to rest.

He must be hurting right now, thinking that Real Madrid winning CL will give Ronaldo his 6th Ballon D'Or.

It has to be on Messi's mind.

soul24rage, Pipiolo and Rattlehead repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yea, he's already leading goalscorer in el classico by quite large margin and I think CR has yet to even reach Stefano's record. He also has a hattrick home and away plus nobody will beat his 73 goals season.

Also, this would be his 9th La liga title... if that's still not enough?o_O

For the next few months, WC should be his main target, not those individual awards crap.

Nobody really cares or remember WC top scorer, but everyone remember great player who lifted the World cup.

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's amazing the depth we had at attacking midfield last decade: Riquelme, Veron, Gallardo, G Lopez, D'Allessandro, Aimar, Romagnoli, the playmaker for Atletico Madrid, can't remember his name. Nowadays, only Lanzini is of their level although we have a surplus of forwards. But midfield is where teams win championships, the lack of a stable playmaker and a set DM concerns me.

afar repped this.
  13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Messi wins the WC, I would reckon he leapfrogs Pele and Diego for the mantle of greatest player. His focus should be in winning it at any cost, even dropping Higuain, Mascherano, Biglia, Romero, Aguero, etc.

afar and Rattlehead repped this.
  14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Redondo and Sorin are another versatile players which is lacking from the current generation.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is rumored this will be the 34 of the 35 names on Sampa's list.

Los 34 de Sampaoli:

ARQUEROS: Sergio Romero, Franco Armani, Wilfredo Caballero, Nahuel Guzmán y Agustín Marchesín.

DEFENSORES: Fabricio Bustos, Gabriel mercado, Nicolás Tagliafico, Nicolás Otamendi, Ramiro Funes Mori, Marcos Rojo, Federico Fazio.

MEDIOCAMPISTAS: Maximiliano Meza, Enzo Pérez, Pablo Pérez, Ever Banega, Giovani Lo Celso, Ángel Di María, Manuel Lanzini, Erik Lamela, Lucas Biglia, Diego Perotti, Eduardo Salvio, Marcos Acuña, Matías Kranevitter, Emiliano Rigoni, Leandro Paredes, Javier Mascherano.

DELANTEROS: Cristian Pavón, Lautaro Martínez, Lionel Messi, Sergio Agüero, Paulo Dybala y Gonzalo Higuaín.

Icardi is left out.

16. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I fear the worst of this world cup

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess we can say it went down like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rattlehead and soul24rage repped this.
  18. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Rojo and Funes Mori? Wow, these two are they ahead of Garay is beyond my way of thinking. Kranevitter is a nice callup but I doubt he makes the cut ahead of Biglia/Masche.

Sampaoli didnt even bother to call up more DMs after that Spain thrashing.

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now Iceland will have a chance to beat Argentina and Messi definetely satisfy with his career without WC thropy.

20. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Battaglia, Icardi, and Garay are the major exclusions.

However, what I am reading is that this list is just media speculation about whom Sampaoli will talk with on his tour.

There were parallel reports that Garay will be called up.

soul24rage and Rattlehead repped this.
  21. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aguero might not even be fit for the world cup and Samp is still not willing to call up Icardi and place trust on Higuain. I would bet my life that this will be the starting XI.

Romero
    Mercado, Otamendi, Fazio, Tagliafico
    Biglia, Mascherano
    Lanizini, Messi, Di Maria
    Higuain

Rattlehead repped this.
  22. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #6072 Rattlehead, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    And finish 2nd place in group stage and gets eliminated in second round.

soul24rage repped this.
  23. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Lamela shouldn’t be near the NT let alone the 35 list

24. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007