Argentine Idiosyncrasy (Spoilers for Estudiantes vs. Interancional)

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by akd_, May 21, 2010.

1. akd_

akd_ New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    First of all, let me say I’m Argentinean…so I’m not a foreigner hating on Argentina. I don’t understand why we have this bad habit of being sore losers. Today, after the Estudiantes vs. Interancional match, a huge brawl broke out. Supposedly Abbondanzieri had celebrated the win in a certain fashion that offended Desabato (I believe), and that is when all hell broke loose.

Regardless of how it started, can’t we accept defeat with dignity? I’m not bashing on Estudiantes, because it is a recurring case throughout the league. Had Internacional lost, I’m sure they would have walked off the pitch with no problems.

Maybe I’m wrong, and this is common throughout Latin America—but I see it happening often in Argentina.

I still remember when we were eliminated by Germany in 2006, how our players reacted after the match.

Don’t get me wrong, I love our passion for the game. I think it is part of what makes our players so competitive and successful around the world. I think our fans are, perhaps, the most loyal, and the atmosphere in stadiums is often much more entertaining than the matches themselves (due to the poor quality of our league).

That is my rant… I really hope we can improve on this!

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This year has been half-half if you look at it there two cases of both Banfield and Vélez who lost didn't whine and left, and the contrary Lanús and Estudiantes who caused such a mess. I guess it has to do with a variety of things for one, these days we're made to believe that in the past argentine clubs would win by just showing up, and besides in certain matches this has NEVER been the case, add to that that there's a constant disrepect of the other south american sides, regardless of what they are. Also certain clubs are in under more pressure than others, for example, Lanús until recently was the "model club", being the model club and all there were others like Banfield who get little attention but did better in the cup, that and for example Lanús possibly got in their heads that they were losing against an inferior side like Universitario, at least that could be their consideration, and when it was the turn of Banfield to say good bye(having lost on away goals), they didn't complain and in fact Lucchetti claimed they were proud of how far they made it, that's the comparison between Lanús and Banfield who historically are more or less the same. Vélez who somewhat has a higher profile and got eliminated at home(Olé made a mistake that all the teams that got eliminated at home caused mess) almost made the miracle equaling the series yet they didn't do mess and left the cup. Estudiantes more or less resembles Lanús or worse because there's more hype behind them, taking in mind that they're labeled as "the best of South America" or some even today label them as "the 2nd best club in the world" and as of now it's considered that lost both the league and the cup against "inferior" competition(either way they still lost), i'm afraid as it was with Boca a couple of years ago they'll label them something like the "champion with no crown".

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Boca doesn't need that label, they got plenty of crowns.

Carry on.

4. akd_

akd_ New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    very interesting indeed. Today, in Libero (TyC) they were showing clips of argentine teams whose matches ended in violence after being eliminated

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tell that to the media who claimed, of course with that or any sort of they'll wash hands when they make comment that could spark violence, in, before or after a match.

For further reference the first match between River and San Lorenzo after the famous Libertadores elimination of River

6. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd like to add something very important that I think was left out of the conversation.

International, being a Brazilian team is VERY ARGENTINE! First off you have D'Alessandro, Guinazo and El Pato who are the structural basis of the team and they are ARGENTINE. Secondly the DT is Fossati, who is Argentine as well. The Brazilians seem to be a side note on this team. lol :D

7. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Akd, I agree with the non-sense we saw last week.

The aggressive behavior has one reading: I am out of the competition, so let me "take" a few players with me ... so they are fukt in their next round.

That is what happened in WC'06 ... with Lanus, when 2 key players of Universitario were suspended ... and now with Inter.

It is an antonym to "Fair Play" ...

Had the game been rough, with fights during the game, red cards, etc ... then I can understand an end of the game reaction. But Inter, with the exception of D'Alessandro and Veron (BsAs) or Sanchez (Porto Alegre) were "soft" thru out and were bossed around by a much "bullier" Estudiantes. El Pincha never thought they would be taken out of the cup ... and claimed vengeance in the tournament with their own hands. [​IMG]

8. akd_

akd_ New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes, and the same thing happened in the second leg of the Rosario Central-All Boys game. While it is true that many Central fans were applauding All Boy's players for their heroics, many imbeciles were literally ripping the seats off the stadium and throwing them at the opposing team players as they were (rightfully so) celebrating with their crowd.

The other day, while working the LA Galaxy - Boca Jrs. game, I noticed how it is possible to keep the good aspects of argentine footbal intact- chanting, flags, etc - while being orderly and civil. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the crowd that went to see this game is not the same crowd that goes to the "Popu", but many times [in Argentina] we see that these are not always the only ones causing trouble; many times it is the "Plateistas" (forgot the word in English) who are inciting violence.

I do not want to get into politics too much, but I am certain that fútbol is not akin to the social unrest that is lived in the streets of Buenos Aires (and Argentina for that matter). The permissiveness which allows political organizations to appropriate the streets from the common citizen, is no diffent from the permissiveness which allows the violent to roam freely within our stadiums.

I guess that Argentinais summed up by the title of Sarmiento's masterpiece literary work: "Facundo o Civilización y Barbarie"

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    However that's a bit different, there's a main difference players are supposed to show the example to the supporters, if players start fights and such it shouldn't be a surprise if the supporters begin to cause trouble, in the case of Estudiantes it was players who caused troubles on their own, the supporters didn't do any mess. After all the players should be the first ones to carry the "Fair Play" flag.

Also note how most of the time it's the home team that begins any problem, not the away one as it's pretended...

Also what goes in Buenos Aires(the city), doesn't really reflect much of what happens in the rest in the country, you get some miles away and it's already a different thing, unfortunately there's the inaccurate notion that Buenos Aires mirrors the rest the country, completely wrong.

10. akd_

akd_ New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Este pais es una JODA!!!!

Interesting read about the Barrabravas who accompanied the NT

http://www.canchallena.com/1269872-una-peligrosa-convivencia

Along with the players and members of AFA, 22 barrabravas accompanied the NT in their flight to South Africa; as well as various members of the PFA (Argentinean Police) to keep an eye on the barras.

Can someone explain the logic in this??? I've heard that this was Nestor Kirchner's gift to the barrabravas for participating at his political rallies (including the recent acts of violence at the National Book Fair)

I guess, in order to go to the WC, you have to be corrupt and have a criminal record. Is there any other country in the world were this happens??? How can the players accept this imposition?? Coudn't we have given the opportunity to young impoverished students who are top of their class an opportunity to go to the WC as a reward to their efforts?

1 person likes this.
  11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But we have discussed that before, this isn't the first time, it happens at least since Spain '82, just that this time around they decided to care, plus that doesn't have much to do with the idiosyncrasy of what happens after matches.

12. akd_

akd_ New Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Yes, I know...but it shows the permissiveness of AFA with those who are violent...Did barrrabravas ever travel in the same plane as the NT? <-- I'm just curious, as I've known they've travelled to other WC, but this is the first time I hear they travel along with the oficial delegation

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not sure about that, for a World Cup it's probably the first time. Also note that the people from Boca aren't members of the current La 12 but people from Di Zeo's side, which may come back to reclaim their place, though it's not certain if it'd be pacific or not, it's possible that it's the former because the current leaders would seem to be fed up with the whole case. The project of HUA fell and now just Independiente's barra is going separatedly, though the majority will be of Independiente a bunch of others will go with them camoufled, these will be between 60 and 80, not 200 like some sources claim. Some say that like in Germany in 2006, Los Borrachos del Tablón had a meeting(not precisely a friendly one) with Los Diablos Rojos it's possible the same happens now with La 12's fraction, La Banda de Lomas.