Argentine Coaches Abroad and at home

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by RiverGaucho, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ...but what has Bielsa won at European top league ? yet, he's still being look up to by many. His last league title dated back to 2 decades ago. All I hear about Bielsa is how he's revoluationary coach but it never really translate to any thropy in last 2 decades.

2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I completely agree with this SupaMario. You can't be the best manager in the world if you don't win anything. Finishing third or fourth is not really something to be proud of. You say: oh, we qualified for the champions league, but whats the point of qualifying for the champions league if you don't do anything? Two years ago they got knocked out in a group with Monaco and Bayern Leverkusen. Last season they lost to Juventus, despite being in control of the tie.

Also, lets not forget, you can say the English league is a league that is all about money, but two years ago all the big cubs in the UK had a down season and THAT was the best chance Tottenham and Pochetino had to win the league, but they lost out to Leceister City, a club with half the budget of Tottenham, and to make it more embarrassing they couldn't even finish second, coming third to Arsenal, their archival. There is a joke amongst supporters in London that that season Tottenham finished third in a two horse race.

So why yes, I think he is a good developer of talent and his sides undoubtedly play very good football, he needs to win something and/or make a serious run in the champions league, because up until now his record is really bad.

SupaMario repped this.
  3. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well to be fair Bielsa has taken many prolonged breaks from coaching during that time period, and when he did coach it was typically smaller teams (Bilbao, Lille, Leeds).. It's a bit hard to achieve championships with such teams, specially since he never stayed anywhere long term since his stint with Chile. It'd be a different story if he was coaching the likes of Man United, Barcelona, or even an Inter, Liverpool, etc.

I don't think it's a coincidence Bielsa has heavily influenced sooo many top coaches, such as Pochettino, Guardiola, Simeone, Gallardo. Even players who didn't become coaches all talk about how he "transforms" those who he manages. Look how he completely revolutionized the Chilean NT -- those two Copa America titles were more his than Sampaoli/Pizzi's.

You could make the point that the guy is a complete nut and possibly overhyped, but I don't think titles are always the correct way to judge a coach. If that were the case, Luis Enrique and Miguel Angel Russo would be some of the best coaches in the world for their respective Champions League and Libertadores titles, yet the truth is they are both quite average. What about Otto Rehhagel -- the German coach who led Greece to the 2004 Euros title. What has he won ever since? (Hint: it starts with "no" and ends with "thing") Is he considered one of the greats just for this feat?

Bielsa's over-offensive style, antics, and spontaneity are surely open to criticism, but I don't feel it's valid dismeriting him on a basis of lack of European titles

Pipiolo, soul24rage and SupaMario repped this.
  4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, that's actually my point ... so you can say the same about Pochettino , he only managed teams like Espanyol, Southampton and Tottenham, not Juve, Barca, RM or MU. Spurs basically only has 2 league titles in their 100+ years history. To say he's yet to be a great coach because the absent of thropy would be an understatement.

No, the likes of Zidane and Luis Enrique has never been one of the best manager, at least not for now. These generations of Real Madrid and Barcelona has won CL before those two took charge. With players that those two teams has, any decent manager could possibly win the CL.

5. El Mandrake

El Mandrake Member

Mar 21, 2004
    en la popu
    He is in a one horse league you know