Argentine Coaches Abroad and at home

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by RiverGaucho, Aug 17, 2014.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So i thought we should have a thread to talk about Argentine DTs both plying their trade in Argentina and in europe.

So far, I'd like to say Marecelo Gallardo has started off very well at my beloved River. He was a champion at Nacional in uruguay, but that is basically an amateur league. Hopefully, he can do well at River and take us to Libertadores glory in 2015.

So far he seems smart and learns quickly from his mistakes. He also seems to know how to handle the media, which is obviously a huge part of the battle when being a coach, especially a young one when the media has their knives out. his style is true to that of our club. He wants to have possession of the ball and he wants to attack. He likes to play with a traditional enganche (which could be messi's future position as he ages)

In other news, Marcelo Bielsa has gotten off to a horrible start in Marseille. They tied their first game 3-3 and lost today at home 2-0.

Bielsa is loved by many for his style, but he tends to play the same way each game regardless of opponent (which is how he lost to brasil with chile in south africa 2010)... I'm not a Bielsa lover, but i'd like to see him do well in France, but his message will take time to bed in. We'll see how long they give him... they don't have the money of PSG or Monaco, but in terms of fans they are the biggest club in france and they won't put up with bad results if they continue

jimmi_moh repped this.
  2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have always liked Gallardo, I hope he does succeed. I didn't read or follow how he did at Nacional however. I believe he took over Vasco's brief tenure who is another person I would like to see be given another look by some clubs.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pochettino is now managing Spurs and yesterday he put Lamela in last 20 minutes and Spurs came back to win the game 2-1 from his 2 assists.

Pipiolo repped this.
  4. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  5. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Can anyone tell me about Ramon Diaz? Looks like he might be Paraguay's next coach after both Sabella and Bauza where a no go.

All I know is that he's a River icon.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    8 titles with River, including a Libertadores. His most recent accomplishment was winning the Argentine league with River in June of this year, after the club underwent 6 years of trophy drought. Similarly, he took over San Lorenzo in 2007 and won them their first title in 6 years as well.

Overall he has a very winning mentality, transforming even decent players into winners. Ask a lot of his past players, and many will say that the confidence and mentality he instilled in them was largely responsible for their good moments. He also knows how to work under intense pressure and is a master in diverting public/media pressure to himself instead of the players.

However, he did also have a couple failures: he didn't do at all well in his time in Mexico coaching America, while his brief period with Independiente was also pretty bad (although to be fair, even Mourinho would have failed with those players and the circumstances the club was going through at the time). Additionally, the tournament prior to being crowned champion with River, the club did very poorly and finished in 17th place.

One thing is for sure, though.. he is a winner. Some people see him as vende humo, but his stats don't lie. He is the most successful coach of all time in River, always concluding his terms with success.

I'm not psychic, so I can't tell you if he'd do good or not with the Paraguay NT, but I can assure you he is a muuuuch, muuuuch better coach than Bauza, who is the biggest lie in Argentine football.

Pipiolo, Albiceleste2010 and Latin Pride repped this.
  7. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good to know. I was a little disappointed we couldn't get Bauza but you know about him and Ramon Diaz more then I do so I trust your opinion when you say he's a better choice.

I just hope this coach saga finally ends. 1 year without a coach is ridiculous and 3 years without a good coach is even worse.

Thanks!

locoxriver repped this.
  8. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Diaz will do a job that is for sure. He knows his football although managing a national team is different from club football he does not tolerate failure or poor performance.

Here is an interesting article on German Burgos assistant coach to Diego Simeone at Atletico:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29101843

That forward thinking will probably see him with Simeone coaching the seleccion sometime in the future.

RacingGirl and Pipiolo repped this.
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I clicked on the link you provided (thanks, by the way!) and saw this awesome picture:

[​IMG]

Orteguita, Ayala, Zanetti, Crespo, Burgos, Simeone... god damn, what a team!

Reminded me of the 98/99 squad. Those names + Batistuta, Sorin, Almeyda, Gallardo, etc. :eek: MAMITA!

RacingGirl repped this.
  10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great read! I always felt Burgos should have been our keeper at WC02, he could have saved that penalty by Beckham. And he led Atletico to the win this weekend :thumbsup:

tatoRMN repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just looking at the scores around the globe, and I see OM winning 5-0, and they are atop of Ligue 1. Nobody has scored as much as them. Loco is something else.

Pipiolo repped this.
  12. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Loco is great...

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ricardo Gareca will take over as the Peru coach... I hope they're paying him a huge contract, because if not he is making a big mistake. Peruvian football is a disaster. Their biggest club just got humiliated 4-0 at home by Huracan, who just 4 months ago was playing in the B. I don't even know the last time peru was in a world cup, but i don't remember them being in one in my life time

However, it makes the Copa America quite interesting... Sampaoli at Chile, Ramon at Paraguay, Pekerman at Colombia, Gustavo Quinteros at Ecuador... Plus now Gareca and of course Martino... Thats 6 Argentine coaches out of 12 teams in the tournament.

Pipiolo repped this.
  14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why pick on Peru? This is a right step for them to climb back up and you completely piss on them :devilish:

15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not picking on Peru I'm stating the facts. When was the last time Peru qualified for a world cup? A quick google search gave me the answer: 1982. Thats pathetic. The state of their club game is laughable, as i just said, the biggest club in their country just got beaten 4-0 at home by Huracan , who hadn't played the Libertadores since 1974.

I also fail to see how a national team manager can make a big difference- unless its a bielsa type who completely revolutionizes the system, something Gareca won't do. Its not like club football where you work with the players every day and can really make a difference. You also can't buy anyone you've got to stick with what you have, and Peru hasn't had a decent group of players since 1982.

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    well you could argue the 1985 team was the last great bunch of peruvian players

Argentina had a few scares in the two matches we played..could also argue they were second best in those matchups - Cesar Cueto's generation final hurrah

the 98 team was also good, but left their run too late and folded against Chile when it mattered (in Santiago) - Nolberto Solano and Roberto Palacios generation

but yeah from then on its been a disaster and whoever takes over has to be prepared for the lack of players and lack of a serious league

17. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I love Peru its a nice country very beautiful and Peruvian food is some of my favorite i eat it all the time. Aji de gallina is one of my favorite foods. Ceviche of course as well. Pisco sour yes please, but i'll pass on your inca cola :p- so i didn't mean to insult your country, just stating what i see on the outside.

It seems there is a serious problem with violence in Peruvian football. Whats going on with the barras at Allianza? I see they threatened the players after the loss, and also in ezeiza this week. Just now during the Huracan match, there was some madness going on in the Popular for Allianza where it looked like the normal fans had to scatter due to the barras doing something.

Also is there anything you can tell me about Juan Aulrich- the opponents of my team in the Libertadores. They play at altitude, no? Will they be able to give River a match? Do they have any chance of going through?

18. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    The violence has gotten out of hand at times...only a few years have passed since a Alianza Lima fan was thrown (and killed) off the top viewing seats by Universitario fans

bad results + barras bravas do not mix well

in regards to Juan Aurich, they play at sea level. Their stadium is notorious for its wind factor combined with its artificial turf making it a difficult place to play in terms of its enviroment.

The team itself is coached by a guy who only plays one way...attack. So River will have plenty of spaces to exploit I guess it depends on how well JA actually does attack which will determine how they will cope with River

19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So according to some reports, Sabella has to decide between Sao Paolo or City. Not sure how true it is.

20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Guillermo Barros Schelotto will be the new manager of Palermo.

21. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't really follow the EPL but I am looking at Tottenham's stats, no team has scored more than them and no team has allowed less. Pochettino has done a hell of a job.

22. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bielsa is off to a disastrous start with Lille. After winning his first match, he made 3 subs last week in side 40 minutes, used 3 goalkeepers, and now he lost again today to lowly Caen. He's already fighting with the media.

How long with the latest Bielsa experiment last? Will he make it to December? May bet is he's gonna by November actually

23. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I feel bad for the supporters of any club Bielsa goes to. He gives them such hope, such great football, but we all know in the end it will be in tears and he'll leave the club in complete shambles. At Lazio, he at least had the decency to not show up and break his contract.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pochettino should be considered the best manager in the world. Every one of his players comes with an enhanced reputation after the WC. What's more impressive is that with the exception of Lloris, Dembele and Vertonghen, these are all players that he developed young at the club: Eriksen, Kane, Son, Sanchez, Tripper, Alli, Dier, Rose, Alderweireld. How ironic that the Argentine player on the squad, Lamela, didn't get a chance to play at the tournament.

25. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Poch needs to start winning trophies. Having player development, playing beautiful football and whatnot is great but he hasn't really won... anything really. Win a FA Cup or the Capital One Card Cup, or whatever they call that other domestic cup in England.

At least Cholo has won nearly everything at Atlético.