Argentina x Greece 1994

Discussion in 'Greece & Cyprus' started by Bengoechea, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Does anyone know where i can found a nice picture (in a good quality) of that match.
    Any picture of the game will fit, but if someone have one of Maradona celebrating to the camera will be better

Thanks.

2. jetaman-redded

jetaman-redded Red Card

Dec 26, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

Maradonna scored a goal against Greece. At that time Argentina was such an invincible team.

3. greekgooner

greekgooner Member

May 25, 2009
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    I was at that game.

4 - 0 Argentina. Sucked

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Apparently all the Greek players went clubbing the night before and they got drunk before the game. That was one story I heard about seven years ago on SBS, an Australian TV channel. Greek-Australians have made a big contribution to soccer/football in Australia yet Greece itself has a very poor record.

I want to talk about that 1994 World Cup campaign and Greek football at that time. Alketas Panagoulias coached Greece when they reached Euro 80 and he was there at USA 94. What was he like as a coach? Was he a good motivator? Was he a good tactician? Before Rehhagel became coach of Grecce, he was the only one who could get the Greeks to qualify for a major tournament.

What were the players like? Were they really the best Grecce had at the time? There were players like Tasos Mitropoulos and Antonis Minou, who were in their mid-30s. Some of that team played for Panathinaikos when the reached the CL semi-finals two years later so those players couldn't have been bad.

Some of the members of the Euro 2004 team could have played at USA 94 too. Zagorakis was 23 and playing for PAOK. Wasn't he could good enough at the time? How about Tsiartas? Nikopolidis probably should have looked for regular match time instead of warming the bench at Panathinaikos. Players like Nikolaidis, Vryzas, Dabizas and Giannakopoulos hadn't even peaked yet.

5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    The worst years were between the 1990 WCQ campaign and the 2002 WCQ campaign, with the lowest point coming in 1994. We were mercurial throughout that time, with some great successes (3-2 v. Portugal '90, 1-0 v. Russia '93, 4-0 v. Finland '95) and worst ever losses (1-8 v. Denmark '89, 0-5 England '94, WC 94', 1-2 at home to Latvia '99, 1-5 Finland '01), but we generally struggled despite having players who were doing well in major club competitions. The only notable achievements during that era was when Machlas set Europe alight with his goals and when PAO were a shoe in for the '96 CL final.

I could never imagine that 10 years on we would win Euro 2004. It was just astonishing.

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    If you speak Greek, then you may wish to watch the horror film below. It's titled World Cup Hellas! It's a BBC documentary by Kevin Allen. He had this to say 10 years on in a letter to the Guardian: