Argentina : World cup 2018 Russia discussion

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes

2. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh. Then it's a joke.

locoxriver repped this.
  3. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Well, to be honest, assist rules are vague.

Nobody counts those 2 assists for Messi against South Korea in 2010 WC where his free kick led to an own goal and where his shot hit the post for a tap-in for Higuain, although FIFA had changed the rules prior to that WC. Previously, those would have counted as assists.

Similarly, Messi did not credit for the assist against Greece where he pretty much dribbled past 2 players and shot which the goalie saved, and Palermo scored the rebound.

In previous WC’s, that would have counted as an assist as well.

Regardless, Messi’s shot against France did create the goal.

———

Overall, this World Cup is making me appreciate our 2014 Run much more. We really were very, very close.

Rattlehead, cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because it's not entirely intentional doesn't mean the goal would've happened without him.

soul24rage, afar and SupaMario repped this.
  5. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    I took a couple of screenshots it's somewhere towards the end of the France game thread. Di Maria crossed,to Meza,from the right endline & did what he should have done, kept running towards the net. His (RIGHT!!) leg got in the way of Fazio who is quite literally diving forward to head the ball.

Fu(king depressing, this is as bad to me as 2010 & the complete loss of opportunity primarily due to managerial incompetence.

We all know sampaoli, like all his predecessors, is limited in who he WANTS TO INCLUDE on the final squad, given people he is forced to pick, but up 2-1 & insisting with false 9 stuff.

Inexcusable.

6. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    So it was meza who missed it?

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can't say I remember that moment with Meza / Fazio.

8. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sampoli has had his contract terminated. Here we go again, and the next manager is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,?

9. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You guessed it, Frank Stallone.

SupaMario repped this.
  10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Doesn't matter really, he'll only be in the job for 2 months.:D

11. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Does it mean top assist maker of all of them put together or assist maker of each of them separately?

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona has 5 assists in 86, 2 in 90, 1 in 94. I dont see how Messi can be top assister in WC... he has 6.

13. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona has 5 assists in 86 , 8 assists in total between his 4 WC appearence... or it only count this season assists?

14. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah I was confused of the caption because KDB has the most assist this WC with 3. I think it meant having the most assist in all those three competitions put together, which is incredible if it's true.

Rattlehead repped this.
  15. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    They are saying De Bruyne had 2; Messi also had 2, along with a host of other players.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/statistics/assists

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/stats

So what they are saying that Messi is the only player in history who has been the top assister in a single edition of the World Cup; also, in a single edition of a Copa America/Euro/African Cup/Asian Cup; and then also in a single edition of the Champions League.

Messi is also the greatest dribbler of all World Cups combined, and 2nd best dribbler at this tournament at 5.7 dribbles per game — behind only Hazard.

Not that all this matters much, but it is what it is.

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In terms of overall contribution in World cup , Messi is 2nd place in the national team behind only Diego.

Maradona - 8 goals + 8 assists
    Messi - 6 goals + 6 assists
    Batistuta - 10 goals
    Mario Kempes - 6 goals + 4 assists

So Messi and Diego are the only 2 Argentines that has 10+ goals contribution in World cup.

Maradona is the most fouled players in 3 different WC though.

afar and soul24rage repped this.
  17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    weird, i got my 3 assists from here
    http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/wm-2018-in-russland/

I think yours is correct as yours have more credible sources. It's impressive to be the top assister in a single edition of each tournament although having only 2 assist for a top assister is low

afar repped this.
  18. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Personally, if Messi had onky 1 assist and 1 goal in the 4 world cups he has played in, I would have been happy. As long as both had been in the 2014 final.

Watching Mbappe yesterday I thought of the 2096 world cup. We had a player in our squad who was younger than Mbappe, and much, much better. And do you inow what that player was doing during our quarter final with Germany, yes that's right, he was sitting on the subs, where he remained as we were knocked out. I think that is symbolic of Argentine football, missed opportunities and the wrong decisions. Sigh.

cigar_city repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Some people still saying Croatia deserve to win.. yes they played better I admit, but Croatia two errors in that game was never France fault. It just like when Mandzukic scores from France error goalkeeping or when Cabalerro did very same mistake against Croatia.

You know the difference between those good teams compare to Argentina in tournament finals? Argentina never know how to capitalize opponent mistakes. Chile and Germany help to setup a goal for us and did we (read: Higuain) capitalize that?

Burr repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe some of our biggest flaws is that we look too much at our past, if it was for euphoria or despair, we need to finally move on from our past and bring on something that we can look forward to. We need to stop chasing ghosts, it is time for us to build for the future. I no longer care about what happened in 2006, 2010,2014 and 2018. We need to move on from these failures and not continue to harp on these moments on what if. I don't know why we continue to bring it up. I mean, how many times can we talk about the same story, when we know how the story ends? If we play the what if we game, we should've won every single World Cup since 1990. But that's not how reality works.

We have talented group of players that are in front of us. We need to focus on them and hopefully we can win something meaningful in their cycle. I am hopeful that we will.

mistert06, Pekerman, soul24rage and 4 others repped this.
  21. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think after a world cup everyone gets a bit whimsical and remembers world cups of the past, but you're right, time to move on.

cigar_city repped this.
  22. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Pogba and the whole French team singing Kante stopped Messi.

Here is how Kante stopped Messi:

1018993431408988166 is not a valid tweet id

Burr repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #2498 Rattlehead, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    They never really stop Messi since he got 2 assists. Argentina lost because the played highline defence for 90+ minutes with super slow midfield and defence.

There's even a moment where Messi run passed all their defence but couldnt finish it with his weaker foot .

[​IMG]

Everytime Mbappe's did that kind of run, commentators went nuts, but when Messi did it, it has become regular occurance in last 12 years that people wont be surprise anymore.

afar, SupaMario, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  24. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You guys are really grasping at straws... France beat Argentina and could have probably should have scored more. Its true, Argentina scored 3 goals, but they were on 3 isolated plays. Argentina's world cup was a disaster guys, we let in 9 goals in 4 games, we never had an idea of play, we couldn't beat Iceland, we needed a winner from Marcos Rojo to beat Nigeria... I've said it once and I'll say it again: Argentina has nothing to be proud of in this world cup, everything was horrible, the coach, the defenders, the midfield, the defenders, the goalkeeper, the sportsmanship, the directors... Not one thing to rescue from this world cup so I'm not sure why some posters are analyzing things and going on about Messi getting two assists... who cares? Argentina was an absolute disgrace this tournament, the worst world cup in my lifetime, and probably the worst since 1958

cigar_city, Volrath, Leon12 and 4 others repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus he got pushed off balance...

afar and Rattlehead repped this.