Argentina vs Uruguay

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by ajNYHC, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajNYHC

ajNYHC New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    From ArgentinaFans.com

Looks like things are finally back in order. There have been no real major upsets. The stage is set for an absolute classic in the Quarter Finals of Copa America 2011. World Cup semi-finalists Uruguay take on hosts Argentina on Saturday, July 16th and 6:15PM EST. A Río de la Plata clasico!

Oscar Tabarez is wary of the threat Argentina poses. Tabarez, a very pragmatic coach commented "We want to forget the (World Cup) team. This is another time, We are used to coming through difficult games like last year, and this is a very difficult game, but we are very motivated for it." Uruguay are a very balanced team with players capable of winning games at any time. Diego Forlan who was voted player of the World Cup last year will reach the most amount of caps for Uruguay against Argentina. I'm sure he'll want to make this game a memorable one. The very tricky Luis Suarez will be on the pitch as well. I see the formidable front partnership of Forlan-Suarez and Cristian Radriguez right behind them, troubling the shaky Argentina defense for the entire game. Edson Cavani is however suspended for the game.

Checho Batista has hinted that he'll be starting the same line up that won against Costa Rica on Monday evening. I for one think this will be a bad idea. Argentina will need some midfield reinforcement when taking on a team like Uruguay. Argentina will need to start cautiously against Uruguay. There have been talks this morning of Batista adding more restraint in midfield. This might mean taking off Di Maria and bring on Banega or Cambiasso. I would opt for Banega. Higuain remains crucial for this game as it is his movement that allowed Messi to drop into that false #9 role time and again. He is devastating when driving at the opponents box from that hole. Aguero is -- well Aguero. Fantastic finisher, great talent and ball control and has almost a telepathic understanding with Messi. I would even drop Zanetti and bring on Rojo on the left side of the pitch and that would bring some much needed width in Di Maria's absence. Lavezzi is suspended for Argentina.

Predicted starting lineups:
    Uruguay: Fernando Muslera, Maximiliano Pereira, Diego Lugano, Sebastian Coates, Alvaro Pereira, Alvaro Gonzalez, Diego Perez, Egidio Arevalo Rios, Cristian Rodriguez, Diego Forlan, Luis Suarez.

Argentina: Sergio Romero, Pablo Zabaleta, Nico Burdisso, Gabriel Milito, Javier Zanetti, Javier Mascherano, Ever Banega, Fernando Gago, Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Lionel Messi

Prediction: Argentina vs Uruguay are always nail biters. Once again for Argentina it'll depend on their passing and interplay between forwards and midfield. I predict a hard fought match with Argentina coming out on top 2 - 1. Goals by Leo Messi and Gonzalo Higuain and Diego Forlan.

What are your thoughts? Predictions? Please visit ArgentinaFans.com to discuss and read comments.

Vamos Argentina!

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    LOCOnyH....ya tenemos el hilo QF2
    dedicado al calsico del 'la plata'

ademas necesitas (r) en el titulo- para la proxima

suerte

3. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006
    quisiera ver a uruguay en cuartos pero tanta suerte como en el mundial no vuelven a tener, esta es de argentina

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia