Argentina vs Portugal - Friendly, 18 November 2014

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Nov 17, 2014.

1. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    HollywoodHayat, I have not seen Cartabia much to offer any opinion on him, but I trust your judgement. Hopefully Tata realizes that he CAN pick from the Argentine Primera --- if there are options there. I know he didn't want to for this friendly, due to the local competitions running on, but I really hope Tata understands the needs of the team.

I agree with you; it is not about picking your absolute best players, but the ones that complement each other.

Rattlehead, while I agree Sabella created a system that allowed us to be successful, Tata will never copy or take from Sabella's system. Because he has his own vision. I just pray that we don't crash and burn like in 2002.

By the way, I have always liked Ricky Alvarez.

2. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

Last year Fede was considered one of the best youngsters in La Liga. This season he turned into the engine that runs Cordoba with 4 assists so far playing with pretty much a below average squad. He is nicknames "Messi" but his game is a bit different as he prefers to play the CM role and drops deep to pick up the ball and move it with his short passes.

I also like Ricky and feel like hes underestimated but we'll see what Tata does in March that'll be his last chance to test things out. He should know who he wants to keep, who he wants to drop, and who he wants to try by now.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Here you can see how effective Di Maria when he unleashed a quick pass and didnt dribble too much. In the second goal against Uruguay, Di Maria did the defending before quickly move forward and assisted the goal.

4. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Add to that , even though how many time we made one touch passes near portugal PB , did we even crack through the wall...?
    i meant can our set of players play effectively this possession game ...?
    Our core players such as messi,dimaria ,masch they are more suited for quick conter attacks than possession based game

5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even though Kun and Higuain fitness issue cost us that counter attack game in the WC, that crucial goal against Switzerland was still Sabella's trademark counter attack game. It started from Palacio's tackle and we quickly caps it with one sweep move. If only Higuain and Kun came to the tournament fit and Di Maria didnt get injured, we would easily own this year WC. Even with those problems we're only one inch away from winning it.

Now the possession football under Tata, its similar to Bielsa's one. Its not the same with Basile or Pekerman where its not based on pressing and winning the ball quickly but with smart passing move instead. Off course its not possible to do this without someone like Diego or Roman. If you notice against Brazil, we looks great in first 30 minutes because they couldnt find the space and possession, Di Maria worked really hard to get the ball from any Brazillian near him but at what cost? the second half started , Brazil was better than us physically.

This is why I think this strategy could be dangerous against strong opponent when we press them hard in first half but they manage to shut us down and we fail to score once.

6. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly ,

if i remember correctly , in qualifiers one against chile , they were pressing like anything for first 30 mins. it was very tough to watch . But after that our counter attacking unit got started and we beat them by 3-0.
    Isnt the same thing happened against brazil...? i meant we literally controlled for first 30 mins but once we conceded we became clueless.

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Or can we focus of how lost the attack was without Messi there? Di Maria is the big money buy in the team. He did great against Germany but he was lost after in this game.