Argentina vs England , Nov 12 [R] pre & post game notes

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by ElGaucho, Aug 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would of done without the Simeone uber cheat, almost as bad as fat boy Maradona that one.

2. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu
    nah thats ok,let that get to your heads.be the world cup argentina would have not made those subs they did this past weekend the results wouldve been some what different to our favorite.but thats ok,engalnd won fair and square.i have my fingers crossed awaiting a meeting in the knockout stage in germany ;)

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

be careful what you wish for.....no mas las malvinas mi amigo....

4. leoriver

leoriver New Member

Nov 29, 2003
    en el monu

bring it cracka :)

5. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....Again...?? how many times do you want it...?....Michael Owen....still goin'...he's like the energizer bunny....just keeps goin'...an'...goin'...an..goin....right through argentina.

6. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yo you little troll, enjoy the win and shut up. Don't get your hopes up too much because sooner or later reality will set in and you must know deep inside your gut , heart and mind that England ain't going to win ********** in 2006 and that Argentina despite the loss, despite all the unsettled rauckous and goings on till has a better chance of winning a WC than you lot do in any given WC :p

7. River Eddie Plate

River Eddie Plate New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    Dude, nothing against you but you have to win something, I mean and not in your backyard before you can talk sh!t. By something I mean a trophy.

8. COBRA007

COBRA007 Red Card

Oct 14, 2005
    Geneva
    without maradona, argentina as a football nation have made absolutely no impact on foreign soil in world cup history and have a awful record against European teams since 1990.

9. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

without maradona argentina has won 4 under 21 championships, the 1978 WC, 14 copa americas and a gold medal in the olympics. Remind me how many trophies england won apart from the 66 one? almost all of them in foreign soil except for the 1978 WC and the 2001 under 21 WC.

10. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    England has never taken junior tournaments seriously.

Are you comparing the ease of winning the copa america with the European championship?

When was the last time England sent a football team to the Olympics?

11. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

I don't know, but I heard the pentachampion Brazil participates in copa america and 2 time world champion uruguay also, not to mention 2 time world champion argentina. 9 south american world cups, versus 8 europeans.And it wasnt always won by brazil, argentina or uruguay but also by Peru, Colombia, bolivia and paraguay as well. Now that Mexico is taking part in it it won't be long till they also win it.

12. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX
    Look, if Greece, a team that couldn't even qualify to the WC can win a european championship, that's like Bolivia winning the Copa America. The copa america is the oldest tournament in the world, it's been running since 1916, long before the 1930 world cup or the european championship in 1960.Obviously the disparity between Brazil argentina and the rest of the teams today seems tremendous but Argentina and Brazil played 8 finals out of the 41 editions, that means that either argentina or brazil were eliminated by a third team the other 33 times.

13. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    And? Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, Czech Republic etc competes in the Euros - Argentina has to beat 1 good team to win the title, how many does England face?

Ah, Uruguay. Glad you mentioned them as you completely ignored them the last time I mentioned them on here. Lets try again shall we....

Your argument is, IIRC, that the fact England have a dominant record against you in head-to-head matches is irrelevant, you claim that Argentina are better because you have won 2 WC's and we only 1. Fair enough, if thats the argument you want to use then you have to admit you are no better than Uruguay right now.

So whadda you say?

Weird - you have to beat yourself to win the tournament? How does that work?

Fine - lets count them again next summer when, if history is any indicator, a European team will win the WC when it is hosted in Europe. That'll be 9-9.

So you're no better than Mexico now either? Thats gotta be embarrassing

14. River Eddie Plate

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    My friend explained to me the reason England does not put a team in to qualify for the olympics is cause Its a Great Britan vs England thing. You wont see a Wales team either for that reason, is this correct ?

15. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    That'll be the nail on the head. In the Olympics we compete as Great Britian, in every other sporting event the nations compete separately (ie England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland). Up until now FIFA has stated that if we want to send a football team to the Olympics then we have to compete as GB and if we do that there then we have to do it at the WC, European championship etc etc.

It's currently being investigated whether we will have a GB football team at 2012 as we will be the hosts but Scotland and Wales have already refused to participate for fear of FIFA following their threat up....

16. River Eddie Plate

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    Thanks Prawn. I think England is too Proud to do that....Even though you might be able to put together an awesome team, thats a big talent pool to work with !

17. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You'd think so but at the moment it would be hard to include many non-English players into a GB squad. Giggs would have been a great addition and would have solved our problems on the left side but he's pretty much past it now.

18. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    he's not english, he's just an american who is too embarassed to support his own team

19. River Eddie Plate

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    Interesting, Thanks.

20. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    still, a limit of four professionals means we could field seven unprofessional drug-taking cheats to slap the ball in to the net with their hands; we'd be unstoppable.

21. River Eddie Plate

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    Hilarious.....

22. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX

Look man as much as you don't like it, Denmark northern Ireland, Spain, Holland, Portugal, Greece, Bulgaria, Russia, Czech republic, all these guys never won a WC. They are good teams, no doubt, but so is Mexico, Sh!t even the US made it to quarter finals in the last WC, Mexico made it more times than once and in 1998 France had to crap their pants to eliminate playing in home field against paraguay. If you think that these are easy rivals you need to check again, also you have to consider the ratio of how many teams come from the americas versus how many come from europe to the WC but in the end South America has more championships under the belt, and that's even if and a big "if" a european wins the next one and if they do, they only tie us. As far as Argentina not playing against a european side that's important in world stage, what better rival than 8 time WC finalist Germany in their own house in a tournament such as the Confederations cup, and manage to tie them 2-2. The last time Argentina played Germany in their field, Argentina won 1-0. Argentina has other compromises, such as the copa america and the qualifying round which is much more demanding than the european ,since we have to play 18 games while our players are playing in different leagues around europe if I'm not mistaken. They play in europa and have 48 hours to show up in argentina, a 14 hour flight and play a 90 minute game. It's very hard to come up with friendly games because even though our players are in europe, the coaching staff is in argentina and the facilities to train are in argentina also, it's not an easy task organizing friendlies. We play who we can and wants to and besides when was the last time a european team bother coming to play in Argentina or Brazil?. Italy, I think last time we played them was in Rome and we beat them 1-0. We play more against Brazil because they are next door. Regardless if we play against ourselves, hahaha I didn't express myself correctly, I was just talking about who participates in the tournament. Ok mates ;) , I think that if England plays with the heart they played against us there is little reason to worry for you guys it's going to be great tournament and I wish there were more winners than one because it's heart breaking to see teams that worked so facking hard to get where they went only to come back home feeling they disgraced the nation or something.
    Ok mates good luck, thats a factor we all need unfortunately. :)

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    No worries and kudos to you for taking it in good humour. :D

24. River Eddie Plate

Nov 9, 2005
    New York
    Agree