Argentina vs Ecuador , World Cup 2018 qualifier , last game!

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by Rattlehead, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sabella started with the wrong formation against Serbia. He use 3-5-2 if I remember correctly.. If you look at Nigeria, South Korea, Mexico, Ivory Coast, Belgium and even Switzerland, they didnt completely sit back like these South American team in qualifier. Those teams also attacked and pressed Argentina. Only Iran and Greece tries to park the bus till the end but we still managed to get the shot in.

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is what happened, oh happy day, lol.

3. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Btw this might be Banega's last call up by Sampaoli after the party incident.

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why would I celebrate the U.S.not qualifying? And why would you is a better question.

cigar_city repped this.
  5. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #230 Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    He hasnt been really usefull anyway. I miss the day when we have midfielder who's capable of scoring from distance, scores from freekick, make penetrating pass, setup a goal from deadball situation (Veron, Aimar, Roman) , now we're stuck with the likes of Gago, Biglia, Banega and always needs Messi and Di Maria to do those things. Imagine if we still have that kind of midfielder pulling the strings for the frontlines.

We used to have versatile left back/midfielder like Sorin and Kily Gonzalez who also scores. Now the frontlines has to make it happen on their own, or they'd never get feed. We never rely on the frontlines to score but in recent years, it has been down to Messi, Di Maria, Aguero and Higuain to score. Gone were the days when we have goalscoring midfielders and wingers. This is why we struggles all day when opponent park the bus.

afar, Burr and locoxriver repped this.
  6. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The WC is too soon to experiment. Hopefully after it, Sampaoli will integrate the likes of Paredes, Lanzini, and Valentin Vada into the first 11. Young, hungry midfielders capable of scoring, assisting and creating.

Banega showed a lot of promise circa 2010-2012 and even outplayed Xavi in a game, but he simply hasn't reached the heights his talent could have. He's still a decent player, but not one we should be aiming for. He wouldn't get anywhere near the midfield in Spain or France for instance.

Rattlehead repped this.
  7. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Never been happier in my life to make a completely wrong prediction :) Credit to the team (or just Messi? :p) for stepping up after that nightmare start. Not gonna bother about anything else than the win and WC qualification today, at least we now can dream for quite a while yet. That Chile, by their own complaint, managed to screw up makes it even better.

Rattlehead repped this.
  8. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

I think we have great midfielders compared to the past couple of years. I agree we dont have that great playmaking maestro but we have different kind of midfielders that have their own style of play. Pre-2014 was the time when we really were dry on midfielders but not anymore. Acuna is a heck of a player on the wing but remember up until last night Di Maria was a WB!!! Just because the coaches are not recognizing the talent at their disposal doesnt mean that we lack variations.

Do you realize that Enzo was one of our best players during the WC and he never started a match since? Heck he was left out of 2 CAs!!! Its insane man. The amount of talent Argentina has is a blessing but recognizing the talent has been a dissapointment.

cigar_city repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #234 SupaMario, Oct 11, 2017
    With Gago being out a long period of time (likely he'll miss out on the World Cup) and Banega possibly being thrown out of the side, this will give the likes of Enzo Perez and Paredes more of a chance to start. Biglia offers nothing but he wasn't bad these two games. Yes, in a perfect world, I wouldn't start him but he appears to be untouchable for Sampa.

I'd like to see Lanzini get another shot. He has been quite unlucky with injuries. Pity Martinez and Nacho Fernandez will be looked at. I hear Lo Celso is impressing in France when he does play. Lautaro Acosta didn't impress, Papu Gomez can take a lap and we can decide if he returns. Benedetto provided nothing other than being a decoy in the match v Ecuador. Hopefully, Alario and Icardi will fight for that #9 spot. I have a sneaky feeling that Kun was meant to be intended starter before his car accident. I'm sure if he got all those chances Benedetto got, he would've scored at least one of them.

I agree, Masche clearly cannot play in a long tournament. Otamendi did well in these two matches. Mercado was solid, the man just goes in and does his job. I think he has secured himself a starting spot in Russia, I think.

Romero, lol. The luckiest man to have ever played the game. He's about to play in his third World Cup. I mean, he isn't going to get injured since he never plays, so looks like he'll start. Rulli has been pretty bad for the last month. His confidence has gone to hell since being dropped.

There is work to be done.

We will also be seeded as a 1 seed but we can be up against a traditional power like Spain and Italy(If they qualify), or a rival like Uruguay or Colombia, or get lucky and have a minnow like England. It is too early to see what teams we can face in the group stages or the round of 16 but the draw will take place on the first of December.

cigar_city, afar, Burr and 1 other person repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How is Vada doing? I hear some good things about him. Also look out for Colombatto. I think this kid could be something special.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    PREACH! Entire post on point.

[​IMG]

SupaMario repped this.
  12. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Im a fan of Colombatto but playing in Serie B will not do him any favors.

13. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's only 20. He is one for the future. Dybala played in the la B in Argentina and the Serie B with Palermo. He'll get his time.

14. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  15. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I mean for next year's WC

16. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, yeah, that is quite obvious. I was just replying to Milan, who was talking about the likes of Valentin Vada and whatnot. I just stated to keep your eye on Colombatto as well. He has a great left foot on him. He was the standout player of the Sub 20's, at least for us that is.

17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #242 Rattlehead, Oct 11, 2017
    If you see how Bravo play in recent time , he made Romero looks like world class.:cool:

Enzo and Parades can start, and Banega hasnt been good since Sabella's left. Biglia always started no matter who's the manager, he's similar to Zabaleta, a passanger, average and offer's a little. However he had a good game in this round , I can only hope he can mantain that.

How's Garay's doing these days ? He was solid player but somehow fell out from the radar since 2016.

Kun , Icardi and Dybala certainly should be in Russia. If I have to pick between Kun & Pipita , then I'd go with Kun. At least I havent seen him missing a sitters like Higuain did in every finals. His form in NT is like Di Maria, inconsistent but in a good day, he can still delivers.

If we're going to bring 5-6 forwards then at least Messi, Icardi, Dybala and Kun should be a lock. I dont know about the friendlies schedule but there's still gonna be at least 5-6 games prior to the WC and the last game is usually at home with the final squad already decided by Sampa.

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Garay requested to not be called-up for these Peru/Ecuador matches, remember? He had originally been dropped by request too, for "personal reasons". It is rumored that he has differences with some of the NT members... we wouldn't know the full truth, but what we know for now, at least, is that he doesn't want to be part of the squad.

You're better off looking at other CBs at this point.. Pezzella and Musacchio immediately come to mind. We also have to see how Funes Mori recovers, as he could serve a role in Sampa's tactical system, although he'll have a limited time frame before the WC.

Albiceleste2010 and Rattlehead repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, that's unfortunate. Hopefully Funes Mori recovers soon but his recovery time can takes up to 9 months. How he will perform after that? we never know.

locoxriver repped this.
  20. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They'd complain to FIFA for not giving them a good seat.

locoxriver, cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just found a reason actually. Last time USA failed to qualify (1986), Argentina won it all! :thumbsup:

Christina99 and Rattlehead repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good omen.

24. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope you guys win. Good Luck next summer.

SupaMario, locoxriver, Burr and 3 others repped this.