Argentina Terrestrial HDTV Futbol Feeds

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by aerez, Mar 30, 2009.

1. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Any news on when Argentina or Primera feeds and telecast will be upgraded to HDTV feeds? HD is cheap now. You can buy a 720p camera for $600 dollars, so I'm wondering when the studios will upgrade their stupid professional equipment so we can watch HD ?

2. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think it could happen after the "law of football" gets approved or not, since it could decide the future of football broadcasting.

But then again it could be that such technology for broadcasting isn't that much available since there very few HD channels, with CableVisión HD you just get FOXHD and NatGeoHD, and with the movie package you get HBOHD and MovieCityHD, and to what i know DirecTV doesn't have much else either.

Also to what i recall the majority of the HDTVs that are sold in Argentina are 1080i.

3. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm hearing lately that the first argentine HD channel would appear in some months, and guess what's it? Yes, it'll be TyC MaxHD(But no TyC SportsHD?:confused:). Apparently it'd be available starting next season, and it's origin would be because of international demand, which could end up creating domestic demand(but not so much nowadays since the HD availability is somewhat poor). Also it seems that Argentina adopted(or is about to) the ISDB norm like in Brazil(which is already being used, they expect that the analog shutdown will be in 2016), and apparently the majority of the southamerican countries are testing(or will soon) with it, contrary to was believed not too long ago that Argentina would use ATSC, since Canal 13 was using that for HD tests for the future Canal 13HD.

By the way this isn't much of NSR, shouldn't this thread be in the main forum?:confused: Also in my previous post i mean the ones sold are 1080p, the HD channels on DirecTV seem to be on 1080i at best.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    1080i is what it is here in the US (direct TV HD), 1080p if i am correct is the highest with blue ray and video games.

5. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh i see, because people was complaining that in North America some HD signals were in 1080p, so i guess they were unfound.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea, they arent as far as i know. Right now i have HD through direct tv and its 1080i.

ALso that would be soooo sweet if direct tv can start offering TyC in HD here through the latin american channel package!!!

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's what i'm wondering about, they'd offer TyC MaxHD, but not TyC SportsHD? It's weird, except that with TyC MaxHD they'd use the feed in other places like on Sundays one of the TyC Max matches in North America goes in FOX Sports en Español, but to what it's said this also would be because of demand in Europe too(apparently in some places like Spain, TyC Sports has been available for a couple of years).

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Interesting.... yea here we get a select games of either boca or river games on Fox Sports with a direct tyc feed with it relabeled fox sports, but then i also get TyC channel here too which shows the rest of the argentine league games. I know fox is working on getting an HD channel, but i wonder if it is only for Fox Sports Channel, but not fox sports en espanol??

Also in order for that to happen, argentine league games would have to be given in HD, same with Copa Libertadores/sudamericana gmaes, and mexican league games too. Any idea if mexico will ever make the switch?

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No clue about Mexico. I'd there being a TyC MaxHD means that naturally there'll be a TyC SportsHD, however with the deal of FOX Sports likely going to HD too around these parts i don't know.

10. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    when is argentina undergoing HD? do you guys use the european, japanese or american signal?

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We'll use the japanese one, like Brazil, there's some sort of agreement about that the southamerican countries will use that(except Uruguay who adopted the european one, for whatever reason), Chile is using it(or is still doing tests), Peru and Venezuela are going to do the same, i think also Ecuador and Colombia.

This wasn't known until earlier this month, there was the chance we ended up using the american one, Canal 13 was doing tests with that one.

12. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    colombia uses the european one i think

peru wants to see the results in the remaining countries like colombia(europe), argentina(japanese), and i think chile wants to go european

right here in the US we are entering digital on june 12th! i already got tv lcd tvs one from 2006, and the other one from early 2008, im ready for the transition, but these "madres focas" keep delaying it

i hope you guys get HD soon, so i can watch boca games in HD

13. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far as i heard about the others.

-Uruguay is using the european one, it's not very well understood why when it seems most of the region will use the japanese one.
    -Brazil is already using the japanese one, STBs commercialized since late 2007, DTV signals are covering half of Brazil!
    -Peru will begin the deployment of the japanese one in 2011.
    -Venezuela and Ecuador are in the same phase of Chile.

Apparently in Argentina the early HDTVs came with the ATSC tuner, however eventually they removed them and so nowadays they're with no tuner, in a while they'll have the ISDB tuner.

I find it weird USA is going into DTV just now.

14. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well i think is because there was a big confrontation with satellite and cable company, plus obama delayed that for june the 12th

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    USA has had OTA HD for years, which you could pick up with Antenna or ATSC receiver.

16. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román
    Moved this to the main page as I am suspecting that PPV footie in HD will be the way to go for the "codificado" crowd in some time. It is a niche that TyC can exploit, as they were already moving in that direction.

Call it a conspiracy theory, but maybe, just maybe, AFA and TyC are bigger crooks than we had thought ... and left the gov't with the naive burden of the main footie broadcasts for the masses. :confused: Something that is not profitable despite CFK's wishes to give 50% of profits to the Olympic sports ...

Time will tell.

17. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The law entered the congress yesterday. At first it was said it was going to be in by June and later it was believed it wasn't going to be in until next year. Now go to to see if it passes or not(though it's likely it will). Also i have no idea what was all the talks about TyC Max going to HD if it wasn't regulated that's why no one did the move yet, but if the law passes and the possible masification of digital TV we'll see.

Football is way more profitable than the mere 600 million pesos they're investing.

18. msi2

msi2 Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
    Do we know if the apertura/clausura system will end soon?

This crap has to end as quickly as possible...

19. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was believed that this would be the season where we'd go back to a single tournament system. It seems not, also it was said that TyC was the one pressing on the backstage for the Apertura/Clausura format... Maybe(hopefully) next season?

Also regarding HD feeds, today a convenion with Brazil and Japan was signed, so the japanese/brazilian standard is now officially adopted by Argentina and also the LSCA should be approved soon.

20. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    With the LSCA approved last year, currently there're tests by Canal 7 to launch the first pack of free to air digital channels under the ISDB-Tb(SBTVD) standard in April, it's expected that the 25 affiliates throught the country will be working in time for the World Cup, since they will show it in HD, note that either way DirecTV will to have all the 64 matches in HD too.

The first package would consist of six channels, to be released between April and May, the first one being Canal 7, and between the other five channels notably AFATV(said to begin on May 25th).

With that in mind it's likely that league play on HD would appear next season(or least for most of the matches, it's got to be seen what will happen with Canal 9). Since the beginning of the season tests on cellphones with this standard have been made, thus i suppose it may be advanced.