Argentina Football Expert

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by soccersubjectively, Jun 6, 2012.

1. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey sorry I don't belong in these parts but I'm looking for 1-3 experts on Argentina's current football team AND that are active on BigSoccer. They need to be knowledgeable of the team, fair, and just. I'm doing a little bit of a project at the moment and would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks in advance!

2. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you need to know?

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to put together some world rankings. The idea is to rate every team's player's 1-100 with an expert for every team to give a fair and just review of the their respective team. Obviously you (and anyone else who shows up) would just cover Argentina.

Here's how I would compile the ratings. If the World Cup was in one month and every team had a month to prepare it's squad to play, who would be chosen, what would their ratings be, and how many minutes would they play on average? (This is who you would expect to see, not who you'd want to see.) For example, this is what USA's squad would look like, in my opinion:

81 - Howard (GK) 90 mins
    73 - Cherundolo (RB) 70 mins
    71.5 - Bocanegra (CB) 85 mins
    69.5 - Goodson (CB) 70 mins
    72.5 - Johnson (LB) 80 mins
    74.5 - Bradley (CDM) 90 mins
    76.5 - Jones (CDM) 80 mins
    70 - Torres (CM) 60 mins
    82 - Dempsey (LW) 90 mins
    80.5 - Donovan (RW) 90 mins
    74 - Altidore (ST) 75 mins

71.5 - Chandler (RB) 15 mins
    70.5 - Lichaj (RB) 5 mins
    69 - Parkhurst (CB/RB) 5 mins
    68 - Onyewu (CB) 13 mins
    69 - Cameron (CB) 7 mins
    69.5 - Castillo (LB) 10 mins
    69.5 - Edu (CM) 15 mins
    70.5 - Beckerman (CM) 10 mins
    68 - Boyd (ST) 3 mins
    70 - Gomez (ST) 25 mins
    68 - Wondolowski (ST) 2 mins

I gave Howard a 81 rating and expect him to play 90 minutes, every minute, while Goodson is expected to play only 70 minutes as the CB spot is still pretty open for the US.

This is what I have for Argentina's current squad, based off FIFA 12's ratings:

77 - S. Romero (GK) 90 mins
    77 - P. Zabaleta (RB) 90 mins
    78 - N. Burdisso (RCB) 90 mins
    78 - M. Demichelis (LCB) 90 mins
    74 - C. Rodríguez (LB) 90 mins
    83 - J. Pastore (RCM) 90 mins
    85 - J. Mascherano (CM) 90 mins
    78 - P. Guiñazú (LCM) 90 mins
    76 - J. Sosa (CAM) 90 mins
    94 - L. Messi (RS) 90 mins
    85 - G. Higuaín (LS) 90 mins

So what needs to change? Are players ratings too high/low? Would you expect a sub to come in and, on average, how long would he play?

You have to factor in long term injuries but current fitness issues you could likely ignore. For example, Stuart Holden will likely make the actual World Cup squad but for now I have to keep him off as he is recovering from a massive knee injury.

This is a big work in progress but here is the "current" overall rankings.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AttujdNBdATWdHI3WVRSM2xDaWcycnZwbnFKTFRoS0E&output=html

I realize this is a big overtaking and should be taken with a grain of salt AND that there's no "correct" answer but I thought it'd still be interesting to compile. If you have any questions let me know.

4. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you are doing something with FIFA12 (urggh what a terrible game) then the pesstatadatabase site has some very good insightful discussion of player's strengths and weaknesses and balanced assessment of their abilities.

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A quick answer to get you started, for now I'll list position and rating for the starting eleven:

GK-Romero 78
    RB-Zabaleta 80
    CB-Garay 75
    CB-Fernandez 81
    LB-Rodriguez 72
    DM-Mascherano 92
    CM-Gago 82
    PM-Messi 97
    LW-Di Maria 92
    FW-Aguero 95
    FW-Higuain 92

Currently, Sabella employs C Rodriguez as left back, but I am almost certain he will not go to the WC, and may be out of the squad altogether by next year. Also, once Banega (87) recovers from injury, he should start ahead of Gago as centermid.