Arena Soccer - Pro PASL Franchise Locations

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by Deveron, May 23, 2008.

1. Deveron

Deveron Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Colorado Predators are the Semi-Pro team in the Denver area.

I don't know that I would trust Wiki as anyone can edit it and there are less teams on it than on the official site.

There are going to be two pro teams in Colorado. One in Ft Collins/Loveland known as the Lightning and they will play at the Budweiser Event Center. The Second is still slated for Pueblo.

IF (BIG IF) they end up in Denver I doubt they would play at th Denver Sports Center (at least for long). As you may recall from my "Support for an MISL team in Colorado" thread Tom Higginson is not a big fan of having a team like that as it cuts into his regular leagues: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13687780#post13687780

2. zinsy!!!

zinsy!!! Member

Jun 4, 2008
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok...i will support the PASL as soon as we get a team back in St. Louis...it's a shame that the Chaifetz Arena (St. Louis University) wasn't around when the last incarnation of the Steamers were here...i'm sure they could have played there for much cheaper than the Savvis Center...

oh well...i'll keep on dreaming...i doubt that we'll ever have a PRO indoor team in STL ever again...

3. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    They could call the next team the St. Louis Lobos, like wolves, but subliminally "s lobos".

4. adrenochrome

adrenochrome New Member

Sep 16, 2005

When I win the Mega Millions drawing tonight, my first purchase will be a new indoor team. Cross your fingers.

5. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
  6. Tom Higginson

Tom Higginson Member

Jan 12, 2000
    IF (BIG IF) they end up in Denver I doubt they would play at th Denver Sports Center (at least for long). As you may recall from my "Support for an MISL team in Colorado" thread Tom Higginson is not a big fan of having a team like that as it cuts into his regular leagues: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13687780#post13687780[/QUOTE]

Normally, that would be a safe bet. I'm still not a big fan, but they kept coming back until it was worthwhile to us. We'll provide some additional space for them and they'll do some fix up I suspect. We twice had crowds of 1,300 in the building in past years for Moscow Spartek versus a local team. I'm not sure what our seating is but it holds at least 1300. I know our manager will back them strong and I suspect they'll do well.

7. josh242

josh242 Member

May 30, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, that would be a safe bet. I'm still not a big fan, but they kept coming back until it was worthwhile to us. We'll provide some additional space for them and they'll do some fix up I suspect. We twice had crowds of 1,300 in the building in past years for Moscow Spartek versus a local team. I'm not sure what our seating is but it holds at least 1300. I know our manager will back them strong and I suspect they'll do well.[/quote]

I get the impression that you cannot divulge much more information at this point, but I can't help but be curious as to what the plans of this franchise are. Is the DSC a temporary venue, and if so would they eventually relocate to Colo Spgs or Pueblo, or somewehere else in Denver? It is especially interesting news for me since I live in West Denver and have played many rec league games at the DSC myself. Frankly, the DSC may be just the right size until the league hopefully makes it long enough and establishes itself. I have been to 4 different venues in the past year wacthing PASL Premier games, and the DSC holds way more than any of them. Also, the former AISL/new PASL-Pro Cincinnati franchise is playing in a complex that has a similar capacity.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's let them get a ball first.

9. Tom Higginson

Tom Higginson Member

Jan 12, 2000
    I get the impression that you cannot divulge much more information at this point, but I can't help but be curious as to what the plans of this franchise are. [/QUOTE]

Josh, there's nothing to divulge. They came up with a price that worked for us. They are to give us a schedule prior to our scheduling leagues so we can work around them. If the price is right and everybody is happy at the conclusion of the year, I don't have any qualms about them coming back for additional years.

I just take them one at a time. I don't know how many teams there are or where else they are playing. We just agreed to be the venue for this team. I don't think we have any other facilities that you could put more than say 300 people in, or much more anyway, so this will likely be the only one.

10. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Isn't it bizarre that the only man in America who seems to have been able to make a (decent) living off of the avails of indoor soccer is a one time prison guard who lets newbies show up and play in his building.

Congrats Tom Higginson!!!!!!!!! The only man we've ever found, anywhere in the USA, Canada or Mexico who has actually generated a living income from this wacky little sport............ all the best.

I now post as the shelts you might remember me as Paul S.

11. Tom Higginson

Tom Higginson Member

Jan 12, 2000

12. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To be honest that is good business advice............not indoor soccer advice, just all round good business acumen.

Enjoy what you do, work 100%, don't BS people and employ good people. You can train good people to do anything.

That is the sole secret of Southwest Airlines. Don't employ someone who is 'experienced' simply because they are 'experienced'. Employ someone who is a good person first, a smart person first and train/mold them into a good employee. You can train the right people to do anything.

13. Gareth

Gareth Member

Dec 13, 2000
    And have the foresight to see the increase in fuel costs, so purchase 5 years worth of fuel at 2003 prices :)

But yeah - Tom's right. About most things.

14. josh242

josh242 Member

May 30, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josh, there's nothing to divulge. They came up with a price that worked for us. They are to give us a schedule prior to our scheduling leagues so we can work around them. If the price is right and everybody is happy at the conclusion of the year, I don't have any qualms about them coming back for additional years.

I just take them one at a time. I don't know how many teams there are or where else they are playing. We just agreed to be the venue for this team. I don't think we have any other facilities that you could put more than say 300 people in, or much more anyway, so this will likely be the only one.[/quote]

Tom - I wish you the best of luck, and am very happy someone is bringing pro indoor soccer back to Denver. I look forward to learning more information on the new team and league in the coming months, and will attend as many games at the DSC as I possibly can! If the venue works out for the team and their use of your facilities works out for you, hopefully it is a long partnership. Personally I could care less whether or not they play in a high profile arena.