Arena: "Nothing has to change"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ghost, Oct 11, 2017.

1. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Not sure what this means?
    (unfortunately, "inexplicably high ticket pricing" is really obvious)

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    As soon as that switch comes our LCM, who should not play like a LM, has to bust his ass and get in the opposition RB's face, he is responsible for doing that, he has to do that to prevent a 2v1.

In a diamond or an x-mas tree you are making a tradeoff. You have more players covering the center of the field and fewer covering wide. So when an opponent has the ball on the wing you shift your team over and the objective has to be to stop them from gaining access to the central, advanced part of the field around the box where goals are created and scored. The space on the field say 40+ yards from the end line and say up to 20-25 yards from the sideline is the least dangerous space in your half. A diamond concedes this space but has to zealously cover the more dangerous areas immediately around it to prevent what we saw.

We had too much space between the lines. That prevents quick rotations and stranded our LB in a 2v1 for far too long. We also didn't do a good enough job trapping T&T on one side of the field, if we force them back or make it harder to switch the field that gives us more time to adjust our defensive shape.

3. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Are you seriously comparing the tactical acumen and soccer IQ of a seasoned Bundi/BM coach versus that of an MLS coach?

US will continue to be mediocre as long as we continue to hire MLS coaches to lead the USMNT team.

Sure we have more than enough talents to qualify for the WC, as long as the players decide they want to put in some level of effort. But once we got to the big party, we face reality.

Statman repped this.
  4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Here's an article I think many would enjoy.

I would not have played a diamond with this set of personnel in an away must not lose game. I wanted a compact, Atletico-like 4-4-1-1 or some variation on a 3-5-2. A diamond can be very defensively sound but, going back to an earlier conversation, if the LCM and RCM aren't experienced/suited to it then you are leaving yourself very open.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I am comparing the ideal defensive positioning of one system to a high level, real world example of another (one with more natural width).

I should also say that Bayern's wings aren't going to be consistently as narrow, on the weakside, as a shuttler. They have different responsibilities.

russ and jaxonmills repped this.
  6. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you purposefully ignoring the problems with compensation or completely oblivious?

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DFB / Bund was able to sink literal billions into those programs; probably more than the whole of what MLS/USSF is worth. Because, you know, Germany is one of the foremost soccer nations in the world with a history of WC wins, world class clubs and legendary players. Whereas here, the people who claim to be most invested in American soccer can't even articulate the rules of their domestic league, let alone watch it.

More Americans traveled to the last WC than visitors from any other nations; more than the Germans, more than the English, more than the neighboring Argentines. If those same fans supported a local club, that money would trickle down to fund better academies, youth coaches, scouts etc. So who isn't pulling their weight?

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I posted two screen shots of massive field problems in the Panama match. For the life of me, I have no idea what these guys are doing. It is categorically unbelievable what the US put on the pitch this match. Bruce got portugal'd. He has literally been around long enough that he was stabbed with his own sword.

juveeer repped this.
  9. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    You should complete your thoughts...what is the crap with the womem's team (in your opinion) that you're referring to? There's a lot to choose from.

10. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Agree with this.

Have been plumping for 3 in the back for ages on here. A 4-3-1-2 or pure Christmas tree would have been more tactically sound here, but it still ignores the weakness we have at LB and the CB pairing.

I don't think we have the players or dedication to run Atleti's system.

11. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot to choose from? There is only one team in the entire country that is world class and also, ironically, had a EEOC investigation. Ethically, to announce a 100m surplus after you just dragged your most successful team through the mud over equal pay is disturbing to me. It’s putting money ahead of success and choosing economics over the sport.

Making a reference is hardly a incomplete thought. There is a basic level of familiarity implied when posting here and speaking about the recent history of the USSF.

juveeer repped this.
  12. lynne

lynne Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    There's no requirement here to be familiar with you, though. 6 posts later, I get what you were trying to say.

Answer: just so long as the USSF doesn't decide that they need to throw some more money at the MNT problem, or maybe start paying the players more so they'll try a bit harder.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Sounds to me like He's still blaming the Euros and favored his MLS'ers.

Bradley set the right tone? Was he blind or was he not at T&T that night? Bradley gave up on the game before it even started.

Bad eggs, bad chemistry? It's his job to to set the right chemistry and bring in the right players. He got 1 year to do that, not one game. He's still blaming others, rather than himself.

yurch10, juveeer and russ repped this.
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chemistry.Character.
    Oh look,hidden in there -some blame of the Euros!
    Bad eggs -never named...so probably not Euro cause theyd go right under the bus.
    Pulisic the only one who could play in 2002? DAMNING,if true.

15. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't know that there's anything too controversial in what Arena said. We could all tell the chemistry, energy, and fighting spirit wasn't there with this group for whatever reason. Likewise, there are a couple guys other than Pulisic that would debatably be starters on the 2002 team (maybe Yedlin or Brooks), but I think Arena's right that Pulisic would be the only surefire starter from today's current pool. I also don't really see any Euro blaming or MLS favoritism.

That said, it's weird how he keeps insisting that he would have drastically overhauled the roster if they had qualified. If you thought that the chemistry was bad and that you'd need 7-8 new players to turn it around, why wouldn't you do that earlier? It seems clear in retrospect that the roster called in for the Portugal game had more energy and fight than the more experienced guys called in for the October qualifiers. If you strongly suspected that to be the case, why not start the transition a couple months earlier?

TxEx, yurch10, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  16. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Bruce still being Bruce.

Still defending his GOBs.

Still bashing his predecessor while he has had 2 of the worst runs in USS history as Nat Team coach.

He clearly meant what he originally said about "American" Americans.

Bradley as a great attitude and character? Is he blind? USS just can't see straight on a few of its "icons" and you cam bet MLS marketing has something to do with that.

Does anyone believe, given his track record and what he just did on qualifying that he was going to overturn the whole team on 7-8 months when he didn't do it in the YEAR HE HAD TO QUALIFY?

What is sad is now we have had another camp with the same GOB network in charge. Heard the "Kearney" boyz on SiriusXM radio show and all they are doing is congratulating themselves on all they have done and the new roles they expect to get in the new structure. With all due respect, Kearny NJ is NOT the soccer capital of the universe and in many ways it comes out of the same old same old small cult sport mentality that permeates too much of USSoccer.

From what we are seeing, don't expect the major changes we all want. Instead you will see them circle the wagons, Bruce will continue to polish up his excuse making and the "we just missed qualifying" line will come up over and over by USS as an excuse to not really do anything different.

Hopefully I am wrong but the delay for this election has STOPPED THE MOMENTUM to change. Bruce's arrogance to step back in to once again excuse his failures tells you that.

17. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Oh...and BTW, Brian Straus once again proves why he is one of the USS GOB's favorite mouthpieces with that article.

yurch10 repped this.
  18. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Look over there. It's his fault. No, over there. It's their fault. Behind you. Above you. Next to you. Don't look at me.

Bad locker room is now the issue. Um, Douche Arena picked the team. He even blames the USSF social media team. How low can he sink.

I guess the US is a lock to qualify for Morocco in 2026 with the expanded field. I guess. More of the same means more of the same. Paging Ms. Carter.

TxEx, juveeer, yurch10 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I look forward to Bruce becoming the GM of USSF when Carter wins the Presidential election.

nowherenova repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

And he'll make Sarachan the full time coach

nowherenova repped this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Jeff Agoos would beat out John Brooks?

Bob Morocco repped this.
  22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    That's funny. I thought Jurgen Klinsmann was the not-even-an-American who was causing all of the locker room problems and once they fired him they'd all go away.

23. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big Soccer is losing it. I hate seeing Reddit continually dominate. Arena can try to make believe as much as he wants.

24. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Look for the joint Bruce Arena/Hillary Clinton book tour as they promote their identically titled memoirs, "What Happened."

If you look closely at the replay of the Dempsey shot that hit the post in Couva, you can see the entire goal move a few inches, controlled by a Russian ray gun shot from a Soviet era spy satellite.

I await the USSF politburo's choice of a new president. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?

acima, juveeer and yurch10 repped this.