Arena: "Nothing has to change"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ghost, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    http://www.espn.co.uk/football/unit...ited-states-missing-world-cup-we-failed-today

It's been six hours. Why is this man still the head coach?

2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current blueprint got us to where we are.

Eject to dinosaurs.

Too many are just protecting money.

jnielsen, neems, beerslinger23 and 2 others repped this.
  3. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Member

Jun 18, 2002
    ATX
    The entire outfit from Sunil on down needed to resign already. If they had any honor or decency they would have done so already. Instead now they need to have a process to be fired.

The idea that nothing needs to change is perhaps the worst thing said on the worst night in our history.

nbarbour, neems, Chesco United and 9 others repped this.
  4. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly why he needs to go. It's why he was fired after WC '06.

Idiocy.

Chesco United, chad, HartwickFan and 4 others repped this.
  5. Greg Heaney

Greg Heaney Member

May 5, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would literally have beaten the shit out of him if he said that in the same room I was in.

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    Ay! Caramba!

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What.The.Actual.Fcvk.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a troll.

Ghost repped this.
  10. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunil's quote from last night was infuriating, but this from Bruce actually takes the cake. Unreal.

I woke up this morning hoping all this crap was a bad dream.

sXeWesley, Ghost, juveeer and 3 others repped this.
  11. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I can't wait to hear what "the Lion" has to say

12. superpower

superpower Red Card

Mar 17, 2016
    That quote makes my blood boil.

13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Arena and Sunil will never quit. US Soccer needs to fire them both... NOW. This is the biggest failure ever and Arena is too dumb to even see it and cannot take us forward. Sunil will go into full protection mode since he is responsible for this coaching mess. We could do so much better with a coach that didnt play his favs all the time. He has repeated EXACTLY what got him fired last time ... and now says we're OK? We're not frigging OK bonehead and its your fault. We are too old, too slow and suck on defense while your pet screws us back there game after game. Our goal keepers will go straight from this game into retirement. How will things change if Arena changes? They wont. When has he ever brought in younger players... and I dont mean his pets d'jour? Never. Where is the migration from our youth teams to the full team? It doesnt exist.

Arena needs to go, we need a coach that will send people away and it needs to start NOW. There is no forward from this point with the same Admin

Greg Heaney repped this.
  14. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Guys, I think you're missing a key point here -

We are 2017 Gold Cup Champions!!!!

Thank god we brought in our A-list Lions to beat Jamaica's C-team rather than blooding all these talented young guys we are developing!!!

Too bad T&T's B-team is better than Jamaica/CR C team :(

15. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    "A-List Lions" :D

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Why would we expect Arena to say anything different?
    Radical change me he and his ilk are out of jobs.

The US program needs to take this as an opportunity to start over. There has to be a significant challenge to Gulati at the USSF. That's an elected position, and he continuously wins the election unopposed. He can't be "fired" per se.

Until that happens, its hard to see anything changing.

The biggest factor in this disaster...........................was complacency. From the top down.

jnielsen, sXeWesley, roadkit and 4 others repped this.
  17. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything has to change. For starters the federation has to focus on the product on the field and not on marketing, public relations and other nonsense completely unrelated to soccer. Your job is soccer. Be good at soccer.

18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    That was a stupid quote from Bruce and in the same presser where he said his job was to get to the World Cup and we didn't. I expected his next words to be 'and as a result, I will tender my resignation tomorrow morning'. He should be gone in a flash.

In regards to USSF -- there needs to be change, but I do have a concern -- there has been (from what I can tell) some tension shall we say between people who want to stay. the old course and others who have said we need to shake up our development program. I've always viewed Sunil as someone who wanted to shake up our development program. This is the kind of result that could allow us to go back to where we were before some of those changes took place; i.e. get rid of everyone who is making decisions and go back to the way it was.

I know I don't want that, I know I want change, but the question is - how is that done in a way that doesn't set us back 5 years vs. set us up for better success in 4 years.

19. RidiculousLichaj

May 18, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding your last paragraph...

I'm a bit nervous. This program requires total rebuild. One that should last longer than four years. However, qualifying in CONCACAF is EASY. I don't care what Bruce says.

We will probably qualify next cycle and risk all positive change being thrown out the window. That's why a new president is so crucial.

20. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    This is my concern -- and I need folks who know USSF better than I do to answer this. Changes in USSF don't translate to the USMNT quickly, they take time - like time to make a difference in how we develop our youth and have that youth then get to the USMNT. So...if the changes were made and are showing up in how for instance our U17 team is doing, do we want to throw that out? The talent pool for the USMNT is the talent pool for the USMNT -- it doesn't radically change in a year or two. OTOH - someone(s) needs to be held accountable (besides Bruce) for the failure to make the WC.

Bob Morocco, Mahtzo1 and MPNumber9 repped this.
  21. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Mar 6, 2001
    New England
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to think of an analogy here because Sunil and Arena don't seem to understand the failure. Sunil is an economics professor, so what if we put it in economic terms:

Gross GDP just fell 5% year over year and the country is in the middle of a recession (of course). Given those simple realities, might change be warranted on a country's economic plan?

22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why has he not resigned? Seriously, every idiot knows that the last thing you want to do is hang around and wait for people to organize the firing squad. Get out while you can at least say "I got out" rather than waiting to be fired. What a moron.

Chesco United and HartwickFan repped this.
  23. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Literally everything needs to change.

That quote makes my blood boil.

How about having youth teams care about development rather than making money on kids?

Nothing's going to change. US Soccer makes money. That's all they care about.

24. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    ESPN execs are quite busy laughing behind the scenes for sure.

The U20 world cup and this U17 world cup teams are pretty damn good. I do think a cleansing is required but there has been some success stewing in the pipeline. Remember drastic developmental change takes 15-20 years to hit the USMNT.

Any tactician can get the US to qualify for the World Cup out of concacaf.

Chesco United and Ghost repped this.