Arena makes 6 changes to the Gold Cup squad

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jul 16, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Martino has nothing to do with that win. They were carried by the best prospect in the country, a player who he refuses to give playing time. Ironic. Works against him, if anything. And if they win again in a few years, he won't deserve any credit for their academy either. Its an area with a lot of soccer talent, none of these players were even developed in their academy, they took them from smaller academies. No one gives Pareja credit for FCD's academy, they give him credit if he plays the academy players.

#Analysis

Calling 17 year olds fat and still spelling his name wrong.

Regardless, Carleton 10 points overweight (I don't even buy into your theory) is already more talented than any player we have at this tournament. He seems to be doing pretty okay at his current playing weight.

2. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    What is Soccer Today?

3. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Because he sent Rowe home? The guy was clearly one of the better attacking players in the group stage but the legend of Kelyn Rowe is getting a bit out of control.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    10 points of what overweight? Did you misspell something? He was winded after the first 30min in the WC matches. It was not analysis. It was observation.

He's got talent, but he's also got a pot belly. Pretty clear from first glance that he needs a nutritionist and he needs a physical trainer.

5. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Rowe at left back for the national team would be a disaster. He looked very good on the attack but he was very bad defensively. We already have Zusi on the right...no need to make it worse.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be shocked if that's one of the reasons that Arena chose the other wide midfielders to stick around over Rowe. In a lineup like the last game, you're relying on Rowe to play a key role in the attack. However, maybe Arena stresses defense ability when there are better attackers on the field with more of an A team. Just a thought.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I had a typo, you are calling a 17 year old fat and don't even know how to spell his name (you've spelled it wrong before). And you are the first person I think I've seen say he's fat, so I don't know, maybe its just a poor observation.

7. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    LOL? Seriously. 13 of the guys he called in for the group stages had less than 10 caps. That's hardly calling in a group of known quantities. Get out of here with your nonsense. Can't take you seriously at all.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Wasn't the choice Pontius or Rowe? I don't watch Pontius much but don't think of him much as a defensive stalwart.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He should lay off the club's samwiches.

10. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    It's pretty well documented what happened between Klinsmann and Nagbe. I don't remember the exact camp, but Nagbe turned down a camp invite for a personal issue and after that Klinsmann iced him out of the national team pool.

Klinsmann did this a lot. In addition to being a complete and total moron, he was a petty asshole who blackballed players. And while that might work in Germany where the player pool is 50 deep with minimal drop off, the USA simply doesn't have that luxury.

11. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    It is entirely possible that HoustonHoyaFan is Klinsmann's son. I've never seen someone so devoted to a moron coach as this guy is.

12. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Ha. You obviously don't know THHF.

Knee jerk reaction; defend Klinsmann at all costs.

But I doubt he had to research it. The guy is an encyclopedia of USMNT lineups, formations....

13. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a question: How do you know that Bruce wasn't going to start O'Brien all along and inserted Beasley for Reyna, shifting O'Brien to CM?

The he-wasn't-going-to-start-OBrien thing has been around so long that it's accepted as truth. And maybe it is true, but I remember being pretty surprised when Beasley was announced as a starter.

Mr Martin repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Total Soccer Show guys usually do a good job on analysis, and this is no different.

They talk about how Bruce shouldn't have made any changes, as other teams made few, this should have continued to be a tourney to evaluate, and point out rightfully it cheapens the competition/outcome (even if it is technically allowed). Some of the new guys didn't have much of a chance to impress, and others should have been allowed to continue impressing. Uses the point about Germany as many have about how they were double winners in the end because they gained experience and info on alternatives.

Also express their concerns with Bruce from the outset that he had a tendency to play favorites and we may see that coming out now. Specifically references Zardes and Gonzo as guys who have their tickets stamped already because he had prior relationships and comfort with them. Didn't mention these other names, but others that would have fit in that category are: Lletget, Dempsey, Bradley, Guzan, Howard, and Beasley. A couple may be pushing it when comes to including them on the WC roster, but the bias can certainly manifest in other competitions. Of course Beasley was still utilized in the WC qualifier against Mexico.

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, rule can only be enforced if Feds challenge refusal to release. BTW, who was not released?

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently it wasn't entirely well-documented, because the details aren't very complete here. You're blaming Klinsmann mostly for it still, but it's even worse than you made it sound. It came out later that Nagbe was frustrated with his role (understandably, since never started in double-digit caps, which had to be a national team record) and that was a factor in prioritizing personal matters. Klinsmann told him his role wouldn't be expanded until he moved to Europe, for which the options were being limited from him not being a national teamer, if anybody at that point would have paid enough to extract him from MLS (Celtic eventually offered, but it was the Scottish League, which is worse than the one he was coming from).

And Excellency is showing his axe to grind with him. Kind of hard to evaluate a guy and say he had unproductive stints if the manager was never willing to start him to see how he fared. He also made an impression initially. Then didn't move up in the pecking order as a player who does that should.

He's one of a few here who are blindly and avidly devoted to him in the face of all reason, to the point there can be no conclusion other than there is a business or personal relationship there.

y-lee-coyote and Excellency repped this.
  17. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every game we win means another game for the group to train and play together. Very important to Bruce I'd imagine.

18. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are confusing style and ability. What American style did Earnie Stewart and Jermaine Jones play?

Mr Martin repped this.
  19. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    repped but "grinding and axe" isn't the right term here when I point out that Klinsmann said "nagbe knows how to play the game" then didn't start, then played a little then had a falling out followed by Klinsman's dismissal. I'm asking, what's the explanation here?.

And the post script is that Nagbe goes to Europe which you intimated Klinsi told him to do, Celtic to be exact, who agree to buy him but will not raise his MLS salary level so he comes back to Portland.

20. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Davis' podcast

21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I spell everyone's name wrong. In fact, I'm impressed I can spell at all. He's a fat piece of lard. For 17, he should be light as a spring chicken. Instead he's slugging through a hot-dog buffet.

Down tiger. It was obvious he has to increase his stamina. I watched all the WC games. It was my first observation of him. Based on observation. As in witnessing him slow down, make fatigue mistakes and finally get subbed. Because he was fatigued. Visibly. Based on observation. Clear now?

22. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a tweet or report somewhere that said Osorio wanted Araujo, Oribe & Damm, but the clubs said no due to pre confeds cup & gold cup agreement.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Arena was asked why he sent Dwyer home. His answer was effectively that he was bringing in two potential starting strikers, he wanted no more than four on the roster, and of the remaining strikers on the roster, Morris and Agudelo addressed more unique needs that made them less redundant. Not sure I agree with that reasoning but at least I can understand the thought process, I guess.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...nt-dempsey-plays-starter-or-super-sub-role-us

Rowe is still the one that makes no sense. Bruce brought in one new wide midfielder into camp (Nagbe) but at the same time lost one of his starting wide midfielders (Bedoya), and that was already one of our weakest positions on this roster. So then why would you send home the one player who got the most starting minutes out wide in the group stage and who produced multiple goals from that position?

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because almost his sole goal now is to try to win the tournament (unlike our other rival), and when doing this he heavily relies on players he can theoretically trust like vets and those he coached extensively before. So he better at least win it, especially at home, or this tourney turned out to be a double failure.

25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they won up through the quarterfinals, they'd have been guaranteed 7 games in this camp. They were going to do that with the inexperienced group or the experienced one. We already won the group and our quarterfinal match is against El Salvador.