Are You Ready?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Oct 19, 2002.

1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    For the return of the most maligned National Teamer in the history of the US? The defensive midfielder whom we either love (shutting down Totti) or hate (debacle at Rostock). The man who is blamed for every practically every loss. but never given enough credit when we win. The man that Bruce Arena would probably make captain if Claudio Reyna was not around. The man whose torn ACL is the only reason that Pablo Mastreoni is a house-hold name amoung US Soccer fans. The man who is still our best defender out of the midfielder. The man who is still our worst offensive player out of the midfield. The man who has the ignomy of calling Richie Williams a predecessor. The man who turned just 30 (young for a person at his position and skill set) on August 27th. The man who will probably make his return to the International game in our February friendly. Who is this man? If you need to ask your either a new fan or got to this web site by mistake and were looking for bignfl.com.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as far as I'm concerned, Armas can play for the Nats whenever he wants. he'll be back and he'll be great. again.

3. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't think Armas is that maligned - especially after the Agoos WC debacle and even before then, Regis seemed the major goat. Folk were even all over Sanneh for being slow.

4. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There's a bignfl? What, no bigbasketball? I'm crushed.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally think Armas-- a player of his skills and abilities-- will be back better than ever, even.

That is, as long as his knee is back to normal.

However, it is nice to know that should Armas be unfit or out of form, we have someone like Mastroeni who can fill in for him, or even a Richard Mulrooney waiting in the wings as well (provided that his injuries meet a full recovery, also).

The whole Armas injury situation proved that there is a great deal of depth with the USMNT right now... and it's getting better and deeper all the time.

Cheers,
    William

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    huh? has hell frozen over? have I woken up in some weird universe? Am I actually hearing that people WANT Armas back and starting over Pablo?? After tha games vs Germany and Ireland I don't think there was National teamer that was more questioned. wow what a few months and 6th place finish in the WC can do.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Thats because big soccer is obsessed over speed. Speed is over-rated in soccer. Point in case, if I were the manager in a WC game and my only 2 choices for playmaker were speed merchant Landon Donovan and Claudio Reyna, I'd take Reyna in a heartbeat.

8. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Armas? No way is he the most maligned player ever, not even at his own position.

My Maligned 11 (in a 3-6-1, of course) ...
    G - Meola
    D - Regis
    D - Agoos
    D - Burns
    M - Lewis
    M - Deering
    M - ABMOD
    M - Kirovski
    M - Cobi
    M - Albright
    F - Wegerle

9. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BA loves Armas. He'll be back until he proves he can't cut it anymore. Pablo will be a defender, I think, on the MNT for a while. Thats cool, he'll improve playing in nthe midfield next to Valderamma and when he does step in, he'll be even better. I can't see a 33/34 year old Armas starting in Germany06.

10. David Allan

David Allan New Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Southeastern PA
    Re: Re: Are You Ready?

One of the funniest posts I've ever read. And hard to argue with any of those choices. I assume Lalas is first off the bench?

11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Are You Ready?

I think this is an excellent list. I'd have Lalas and JMM on the subs bench.

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Classic. :D

Lalas and JMM off the bench, with ABMOD wearing the armband, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    William

13. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd bring in Roy Lassiter as a late sub.

14. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Lalas? Before Retirement Lalas, who played in the Serie A (only American player to date) or After retirement Lalas, who is leading the LA Galaxy to an MLS Cup final?

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone happy to see Armas possibly taking Mastro's spot away from him is confused. Pablo is younger, faster, stronger, more creative from that position, etc. etc. and now has just as much big game experience as Armas. It wouldn't be an even switch in my mind.

Armas did his job when we needed him and I see at least a couple of more years in which he will be valuable to the national team. However, he has been replaced as a starter and to me it would be a mistake for Arena to decide otherwise.

but then again, opinions are like A-holes.... :D

16. Totally agree with speedcake. I like Armas, but I love Mastro

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    actually, I'm rather see Pablo as a Central Defender. He has the size and stength for it and he can obviously defend and we're short on defenders. Armas can hold the fort through qualifying till and a more athletic d-mid (you hearing this Kelly Gray) develops.

18. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Tell that to Portugal.

19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Anyone who watched Mastro demolish Blanco in the game against Mexico knows who the DMid is. Mastro is the future and also the present, younger faster, stronger, and a much better ball handler. In the All-Star Game, in the absence of Reyna and JOB, he took over a considerable amount of the districution duties. That's something that Armas, for all his hard work, has never been able to do. Mastro improves in every game he plays for the Nats. This isn't even much of a choice, IMHO.

20. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    against a strong team in a major tourny, i'd go with mastro every time

21. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    The job is Pablo's to lose and Chris' to seek.

I see Armas riding the pine for awhile.

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Armas' knee injury happened at too advanced an age for him to come back and be effective at the international level. Same thing happened to Waldo, Ramos, etc. We've pretty much seen the last of Armas as long as Pablo Mastroeni is healthy.

Gray is going to be a central defender IMHO, not Pablo. Pablo sucks in the air. Bad.

23. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    i'm sure Armas will get a few more friendlies in and it will be up to him to prove in those games that he can still play at this level. If he can not we have plenty of talent coming up that will gladly take his place.

24. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree entirely, not to diminish Armas' contributions, but I see Pablo as a significant step up because he brings the offensive element that Armas is lacking (on a consistent basis).

25. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I will make one contribution, and ONLY one contribution to this thread.

For those of you who so quickly (and for some, eagerly and happily) want to bury Armas, remember this:

NO player who has put on the national team kit in the last 4 years had more dedication, determination, discipline, and difference-maker leadership skills -- and yes, a lot more soccer ability and talent than you might believe.

As Pablo, rightly so, tries to install himself in the first choice slot, he -- and all the anti-Armas crowd -- should keep THAT in mind.