Are All These DV cases Going to Screw up Hope Solo?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sisterluke, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Of course not. And if he'd been able to defend himself, then he wouldn't have let his mother get beaten up, wouldn't have gotten hurt himself, wouldn't have needed the broken bb gun, and wouldn't have needed to call the cops.

There is nothing unusual about family members being reluctant to testify against other family members, and there is nothing unusual about accusers being intimidated by a skilled defense attorney working every angle. These arguments give us no insight into the nature of what happened. In contrast, the new information from the police reports give a much clearer picture of Solo's aggressive drunkenness.

In light of the new information that's been reported, have any of Solo's supporters on this thread admitted they were wrong about anything? Seems like they're just digging their heels in.

2. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Olberman is a douche. Yes Hope F'd up. She was drunk, got in a brawl, and lied about it. It happens everyday...for Christ sake....look at the riots in Baltimore. They aren't even arresting those idiots. This is rediculous

3. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    You're right, it does happen everyday. And that's why we have jails.

Big and aggressive aren't mutually exclusive. From the accounts floating around he sounds rather passive, unlike Hope.

4. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Physician, heal thyself of your dug in heels...

And I can't resist pointing out that while it's not unusual for victims in DV cases to be reluctant to testify, bringing THAT up in relation with THIS case (which actually isn't a DV case at all in the sense you'd like it to be or legally) is either dishonest or laughable seeing as these folks are happy to talk with anyone and everyone EXCEPT where they'll be cross examined. It's not like they went AWOL on a trial date, they refused to appear to be deposed, which means they had months to show up at their convenience and didn't.

I realize you won't be moved by the facts of the case, but sheesh.

taosjohn repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

To be clear. No family member has given any credible evidence in court or has been deposed.

Wait until they say something under oath.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    So what kind of punishment did Solo's husband, Jerramy Stevens, get for this incident? Has anyone heard, or has his case not gone to trial yet?

I'm curious to know, because from what I've read it would be at least his third DUI, on top of multiple other past arrests (battery, drug possession, hit-and-run, etc.).

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that a different incident that Stevens was involved in? It was five months ago. Don't know what's the average length of time for those to come to trial. Maybe it takes longer with celebrity defendants like Stevens.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Roger Allaway repped this.
  9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of the first skirmishes in the case, the judge gave Hope's attorneys the right to ask certain questions in the depositions they wanted to take. Once the judge did that, I think the case was pretty much over as the accusers did not want to have to answer the questions under oath. I believe that is why the did not show up for the depos, after being ordered to by the judge. What would those questions have been about? Use your imagination ....

10. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    So are most people on here believe in guilty before proven innocent, or are you just Solo Haters?

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Because everything has to be about taking sides...:rolleyes:

Labeling people haters/detractors is one of the laziest things that has become common with arguing in recent years.

Timon19, Hararea, TheJoeGreene and 2 others repped this.
  12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Leaving aside your ridiculous accusations, how about responding to the direct questions that you've been ignoring:

1. Are you alleging that the Kirkland cops did something inappropriate, or do you think it's a good idea to treat responsible police officers as targets for vulgar and homophobic abuse (as Solo did)?

2. In light of the new information that's been reported, have any of Solo's supporters on this thread admitted they were wrong about anything?

In my view, @sitruc 's point about mindlessly taking sides hits the mark.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Out of curiosity, where are you getting this? According to ABC News, Maybrown subjected each of them to extensive questioning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/docume...e-solos-actions-june/story?id=31590895&page=7

"The transcripts reflect Obert and her son answered virtually all of Maybrown's questions -- except ones that sought medical information they and their lawyer believed was private and unrelated to the domestic violence incident, particularly from Obert's son. On this point, their lawyer, Mary Gaston, repeatedly objected, citing medical privilege, and her clients refused to answer. Among other things, Maybrown appeared to be trying to suggest that the boy was mentally unstable and, thus, unreliable or prone to behavioral problems."

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, after the initial depositions, Hope's attorney took the questions objected to to court, which is a right they had, and asked that the judge require that the questions be answered. The judge agreed. It was the continuation of the deposition in order to get these questions answered at which the accusers did not appear. I don't have time now, but I believe somewhere back on one of these Solo threads, there are sources for this information.

I suspect that the basis for the pending appeal is the question whether the judge correctly ordered that the accusers answer the questions.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Ok, your comment about "one of the first skirmishes" made it sound like they hadn't shown up at all, when in fact, they had each been through extensive questioning. And in any case, your previous comment about "use your imagination" still seems ill-justified. After all, it's clear that Maybrown was going after the child's medical history.

Solo's high-priced lawyer successfully intimidated the victims.

17. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "I told [my son] he would never have to be alone with [Maybrown] again unless he was in court, you know, at trial," Obert says. "It was so upsetting."

Interesting. It's somewhat exaggerated, because in a deposition her son wouldn't have been alone with Maybrown. Although it's possible he did not have an attorney representing him, if he did then his attorney would have been there, and a court reporter would have been there. Depending on his age, his mother might have been there too, but if I'm right in my recollection he's well over the age of majority, so I don't know if he would have had the right to have her there, possibly she could have been excluded since she also was a witness.

For a deposition (part of "discovery"), the questions that can be asked are different than at trial. For a depo, an attorney can ask questions that might lead to relevant evidence. In a trial, the questions must be about something that is relevant. Thus depositions can be more in the nature of "fishing expeditions."

Sounds like a mucked up family, to me. I say that not as criticism, just an observation. Also sounds like the son might have wanted out of the whole thing in the first place. But, it's all speculation.

In relation to all of the recent "revelations," however, I really think there's nothing new there. It's all pretty much a re-hash of what came out earlier, but with slightly more detail.

taosjohn and Morris20 repped this.
  18. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    ... yet we continue to see the "no new information" line.

19. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's really simple for me. Those of you who think she's lying through her teeth are free to do so. Those who think we should let due process take place are free to do so. Until she's off the NT, we all have to deal with her talent on the field and her insanity off it. Going back to and fro about it here won't change the fact that she's currently in Winnipeg playing for the country *shrug*

Personally, my biggest worry right now is how adamant Jill Ellis has been about not using a DM and leaving the midfield wide open but that's just me.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, it is not just you...:x3:

Morris20 repped this.
  21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    AKA a sign you have a great life.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, there isn't any point in worrying about the other stuff; I can do or not do-- but I can't do anything about that but wait and see...

23. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  24. lolGOL

lolGOL Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No, it doesn't. The piece is as well-written as any random blog post, and the writer seems to assume Solo's guilty until proven innocent. There's really nothing to see there. Solo's no angel, but her family members don't strike me as particularly believable either.

This is all a nice distraction from our team's crappy tactics though!

25. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    One of these days, people here will realize they are in the 'guilty before proven innocent' bandwagon, like how they approve of civil forfeitures. It's really nice.